PDA

View Full Version : Tire cleaning HELP!!!

Slimsadie
02-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Well I am about to pull off my Tires and Wheels and put a free sign on them. I have been battling this issue for months and i have used every product on the market to clean them. I could have bought a new set by now lol. As you can see by the picture I am getting those streaks after every rain. I am convinced they are not coming from the tire but getting there from somewhere else. I have even taken off that ring around my wheel and cleaned behind it thinking maybe brake dust was built up. Any ideas????

Bill1234
02-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Well I am about to pull off my Tires and Wheels and put a free sign on them. I have been battling this issue for months and i have used every product on the market to clean them. I could have bought a new set by now lol. As you can see by the picture I am getting those streaks after every rain. I am convinced they are not coming from the tire but getting there from somewhere else. I have even taken off that ring around my wheel and cleaned behind it thinking maybe brake dust was built up. Any ideas????

I dont know for sure, but it looks alot like calcium deposit , anybody else want to chime in on this ?

swanicyouth
02-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Looks like the white dye from the white lettering is running off to me. I bet Tuff Shine would help, if not fix the issue. Other possibility, is dismount the tire and flip it - RWL in.

Quiksilver5882
02-19-2014, 08:53 PM
What dressing if any are you using? Have you tried LA Totally Awesome on the tires? It cleans really well and is super cheap.

Flash Gordon
02-19-2014, 09:05 PM
You have moisture in your tire. Deflate, wipe clean, then refill with nitogen

Slimsadie
02-19-2014, 09:22 PM
I have tried tuff shine, LAs, ARO, multiple apc's and A pile of other cleaners. As far as dressing goes I have used black fire, wolfgang, optimum, meguiars and several others. When I wash the tires you can see the water coming from behind that ring.

The moisture in the tire is an interesting thought. Thanks everyone for your replies

ShaunD
02-19-2014, 09:37 PM
I think I just figured it out! I have a client with the same tire/wheel setup and it's a chore to clean them and keep them dressed too. He and I thought I was the white lettering causing the streaks and the side walls to stay dingy. But, after looking at the pic you posted I believe it's the polished bead lock ring on the wheels causing the streaking. These rubber on these side walls is really hard too, which makes me believe that that makes them harder to clean and dress as well. Another problem with these wheels is that the bead lock ring causes dirt and water to get trapped which probably causes bare aluminum to oxidize and bleed into the side walls. Wow! It has taken me working on two different Tundras with these wheels(only one with the same tires), and seeing your post/pic to figure this out.
La's totally awesome is what has worked well for me. But, that may be one reason the bead lock is oxidizing and staining the side walls. Next time I am going to try Amazing Roll Off and or Optimum Power Clean. And afterwards I'm going to polish the front and back of the bead lock and seal the wheels.
Funny is that my client/friend said "It didn't start doing that until I put that Opti-Bond on them." I have such a hard time explaining to him that plastic and rubber need to be thoroughly cleaned before a protectant is going to bond properly and stay dark. Gonna try using a tire coating next time around as well; hopefully to make my friend happy and save me time/the hassle.

EddieF
02-19-2014, 09:39 PM
:iagree:
You have moisture in your tire. Deflate, wipe clean, then refill with nitogen

GreatAvalon
02-19-2014, 09:39 PM
I have seen that on my friend's Rock Warrior rims/tires before too. Does it happen after a rain? I've seen his like that with the run off of rain water coming from behind the ring. Its like the ring is slightly placed off the rest of the rim so that the water that gets behind there will drain.

He powder coated his rings matte black and got new tires, and I haven't seen the run off since.

Have you thought about taking the ring off? I know he said some people take it off. His were marred up behind the ring so instead he powder coated them.

Slimsadie
02-19-2014, 09:42 PM
I did polish the front of the ring but not the back. I will do that tomorrow. What polish do you recommend? I tried Mothers and it barely polished the ring at all. Any my truck is a Rock Warrior.

Yeah it didn't look very good behind the ring. I love the powder coat idea

ShaunD
02-19-2014, 10:11 PM
I will be using Flitz polish and a Flitz ball on my friend's. What were you using to apply the Mother's polish?
Think I'm gonna talk my friend into taking the rings off; at least for me to polish and seal everything.

spiralout462
02-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Too bad they're not 6 lug or I would take them off your hands. ;)

As pretty as those wheels are I don't know why Toyota insists on putting fake beadlocks on their high end truck wheels.

GreatAvalon
02-19-2014, 10:39 PM
Too bad they're not 6 lug or I would take them off your hands. ;)

As pretty as those wheels are I don't know why Toyota insists on putting fake beadlocks on their high end truck wheels.
Its not really the high end unless you got a Tundra Rock Warrior Limited but I think those were just for 2012-2013 model year.

But those rims come on the Rock Warrior package which is middle of the road of the Tundra trim Level. Limited and Platinum above it, Base and SR5 below it. :xyxthumbs:

Definitely an expensive truck, but middle of the road trim level wise

GreatAvalon
02-19-2014, 10:41 PM
I will be using Flitz polish and a Flitz ball on my friend's. What were you using to apply the Mother's polish?
Think I'm gonna talk my friend into taking the rings off; at least for me to polish and seal everything.
Tell him to take them off and if the rims aren't marred up underneath them tell him to leave them off! Looks awesome with the rings off as long as the rim isn't all jacked up underneath it.

Slimsadie
02-19-2014, 10:50 PM

I used the mothers ball