PDA

View Full Version : Browning of tire after cleaning?

Pages : [1] 2 3

GreatAvalon
02-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Hey guys. Just joined a few days ago. I need some help. I have TufShine Tire Cleaner and I used it today for the first time. I used it with a Meguiars Tire Brush.

After I cleaned it and they started to dry after rinsing, my tires are brown now. Is it normal? How do I make it go black to being black?

And to clarify, the tires were not brown before cleaning. They did have 2 month old Black Magic Tire Gel on them. The tires are new-ish, my car only has 9k miles.

Pics, tires were still wet in some spots.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5512/12643139304_3e010bab03_b.jpg

https://ycpi-farm8.staticflickr.com/7407/12643138484_362dd2785b_b.jpg

Thanks everyone :xyxthumbs:

jamesboyy
02-19-2014, 04:53 PM
yes its normal your tires are just blooming(aging) just apply some tire dressing and everything should be good and welcome to autogeek

check this out

http://www.detailingspot.com/?page_id=19

SYMAWD
02-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Keep cleaning them.

Flash Gordon
02-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Wipe with lacquer thinner

wdmaccord
02-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Keep cleaning them.

+1. How many times did you do the Tuf Shine cleaning? I find most times I need to do it 4-5 times (each "time" = spray, scrub, rinse). You want to keep cleaning them until they no longer produce brown foam. When the foam is white, they are clean.

I recommend using the Tuf Shine brush also.

BobbyG
02-19-2014, 05:09 PM

No kidding! Does it keep the browning away longer or just an easier way to remove it?

I'll give it a try...........when it stops snowing...

jamesboyy
02-19-2014, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=wdmaccord; I find most times I need to do it 4-5 times (each "time" = spray, scrub, rinse). You want to keep cleaning them until they no longer produce brown foam. When the foam is white, they are clean.

+ 1 you described the procedure perfectly

swanicyouth
02-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Probably normal - IF - you got white foam when cleaning with TS Tire Cleaner. However, I'm not familiar with the Meg's brush. You need the stiff nylon TS brush. Really, it's the best brush out there for tires.

Bunky
02-19-2014, 05:32 PM
A good answer is Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew....

GreatAvalon
02-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Thanks everybody!!! This is such an awesome place! Going to get back out there on it!

yes its normal your tires are just blooming(aging) just apply some tire dressing and everything should be good and welcome to autogeek

check this out

Tire Detailing DetailingSpot (http://www.detailingspot.com/?page_id=19)
Ok will do after I clean then some more :)

Keep cleaning them.
Will do

I will definitely keep that in mind! I dont even know what that is lol

+1. How many times did you do the Tuf Shine cleaning? I find most times I need to do it 4-5 times (each "time" = spray, scrub, rinse). You want to keep cleaning them until they no longer produce brown foam. When the foam is white, they are clean.

I recommend using the Tuf Shine brush also.
I did it 2 times, but I was skimpy with it. Foam was still brown. This is also the first time for cleaning these tires with more than soap and water since I never had a specific tire product

No kidding! Does it keep the browning away longer or just an easier way to remove it?

LOL I'm taking advantage of a 60 degree break in snow/ice crap !

[QUOTE=wdmaccord; I find most times I need to do it 4-5 times (each "time" = spray, scrub, rinse). You want to keep cleaning them until they no longer produce brown foam. When the foam is white, they are clean.

+ 1 you described the procedure perfectly
Ok I will do that now!

Probably normal - IF - you got white foam when cleaning with TS Tire Cleaner. However, I'm not familiar with the Meg's brush. You need the stiff nylon TS brush. Really, it's the best brush out there for tires.
I didn't....oops. I will keep cleaning. The Mothers one is stiff nylon. I almost bought the TS brush

A good answer is Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew....
I'll definitely keep that in mind as well if it doesnt get better with more cleaning!

wdmaccord
02-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Don't be skimpy. Soak the tire good and let it sit 30 seconds or so before you start scrubbing. I've found it works better with the tire off the car so I can lay it down. That way all the product doesn't run down to the bottom of the tire. Get that TS brush on your next order from AG too! It has stiff short bristles, so it scrubs really well. :xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
02-19-2014, 06:10 PM
I can't help but wonder what happens to the agent/(agents)
that's responsible for the tire's inherent---engineered, necessary(?)---blooming (browning) processes...
when it becomes sealed-up behind Tire Coatings like TufShine and Infinity Shield.

Bob

Flash Gordon
02-19-2014, 06:11 PM

It removes the brown. Bye bye brown tire!

Kacz
02-19-2014, 06:27 PM
I can't help but wonder what happens to the agent/(agents)
that's responsible for the tire's inherent---engineered, necessary(?)---blooming (browning) processes...
when it becomes sealed-up behind Tire Coatings like TufShine and Infinity Shield.

Bob

The agent, antiozonant, is protecting the tire from ozone. When they meet (oxidation) it turns brown.

Tires are designed to push the antiozonant toward the surface during rotation, so covering it up doesn't harm or affect its performance.

ShaunD
02-19-2014, 06:29 PM
It is caused by the removing of the black carbon from the rubber. Rubber is naturally cream colored(laytex) and the blackboard added to give the rubber durability and abrasion resistance. It isn't from aging. I caused this to happen to a new tire by spraying Purple Power citrus cleaner on it. It was basically like I bleached the black out of the rubber. From the looks of it in OP's pic, he has scrubbed the black out of it on the high spot of the side wall where he is probably applying the most pressure/attention. Try to even out your scrubbing and don't let the cleaner start to dry. This should even out the color. The lacquer thinner is probably gonna be the quickest way to even it out though.