PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting: Time vs Money vs Quality

Pages : [1] 2

Cassinelli23
02-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Where I live I feel like there is a pretty good market for a "I truely care for your car" detailing where its not about cleaning as many cars a day but to compound polish and make it shine. After doing a handful of cars I fell im ready to get started on some to make a profit but I'm pretty nervous on what to charge starting out. Cleaning and opti-coating some of the cars ive done already has taken almost 14 hours to do the interior and the paint correction. To me i feel $450 - 500 is fair to start since I have a huge garage already and very little overhead. Looking on the forums at prices are people who want to do production detailing. I have a job now where I have 2 or 3 days off a week and would love to start doing cars on my days off even if its one a week and do it right (I know to find out what the customer wants first). Does anyone else do this and what do they charge?

TundraPower
02-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Where I live I feel like there is a pretty good market for a "I truely care for your car" detailing where its not about cleaning as many cars a day but to compound polish and make it shine. After doing a handful of cars I fell im ready to get started on some to make a profit but I'm pretty nervous on what to charge starting out. Cleaning and opti-coating some of the cars ive done already has taken almost 14 hours to do the interior and the paint correction. To me i feel $450 - 500 is fair to start since I have a huge garage already and very little overhead. Looking on the forums at prices are people who want to do production detailing. I have a job now where I have 2 or 3 days off a week and would love to start doing cars on my days off even if its one a week and do it right (I know to find out what the customer wants first). Does anyone else do this and what do they charge?

Look at my web site for price information. I only do this 2-3 days per week and I'm booked weeks in advance. Careful what you wish for, once you get established as a "high end" detailer you will have more work than you know what to do with.....

Cassinelli23
02-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks TundraPower this is exactly what I'm trying to get into and your site breaks everything down really nice. Any tips or pointers especially to start gaining customers

Evan.J
02-19-2014, 02:06 PM
I highly recommend this book combo
Show Car Shine Detailing Book Combo (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-run-a-detailing-business-book.html)
Excellent info in both books

wdmaccord
02-19-2014, 02:09 PM
I think if you focus on time and how much you want to make per hour, that is the easiest method. Still offer same quality whether low end or high end detail. I just show people what they get with each and they decide how much they want to spend.

I also make add-ons available to the low-end so they can add something from the high end detail a-la-carte. They pay a little more individually, as an add-on for each item (if you added up all the add-ons, it would be more than the whole high-end package). But it allows some flexibility at a cost that works for each customer...creates some middle ground.

Pureshine
02-19-2014, 02:12 PM
When fisrt starting and even when you getting booked 2 weeks out quality is still the most important thing. Your reputation is everything in this business. You can always increase your price as you get bigger I did. My compete detail started at $150 now it's $200 and most are $250-$300 that's no polishing or paint correction.

TundraPower
02-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Thanks TundraPower this is exactly what I'm trying to get into and your site breaks everything down really nice. Any tips or pointers especially to start gaining customers

You absolutely must have a quality web site and accept online payments. 100% of my business the first year came from my web site.

Bamaboy007
02-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Look at my web site for price information. I only do this 2-3 days per week and I'm booked weeks in advance. Careful what you wish for, once you get established as a "high end" detailer you will have more work than you know what to do with.....

I live just up I-65 from you brother....up in Cullman.

TundraPower
02-19-2014, 02:30 PM

Oops I forgot...think real hard about how far you want to get into interior work. I will do it on occasion but I do not advertise it. Trust me, people will try to work you to death on an interior for next to nothing.

EvolutionDetail
02-19-2014, 02:40 PM
How and where did u guys advertise your business when u first started doing this?

wdmaccord
02-19-2014, 02:52 PM
How and where did u guys advertise your business when u first started doing this?

Friends and family only for me. Those friends and family are trying to now refer people to me but I'm not venturing outside of F&F for the time being. I'm a weekend warrior so the F&F thing has given me enough biz considering I try to take a weekend off here and there to do my own cars as well as have some downtime with the family.

But, F&F is a great place to start. Give some big discounts just to get them in so they can see your work and show others. You'd be surprised how much word of mouth biz your friends and family will get you to start out. IMO.

Pureshine
02-19-2014, 04:04 PM

Word of mouth,website and Facebook. This is still all I do I'm booked 2 weeks out all year long. Good reviews help a lot online.

Cassinelli23
02-19-2014, 04:22 PM
this thread is more useful than i thought it would be thanks guys. Any help is appreciated. I was also looking to get into Opti-Guard since this all started with my dad getting his new BMW done and most of the people I have that are interested work with him and will want the same thing. I emailed them and got the application. So I'm working on a LLC, have a friend who is a graphic designer making some logos up and Ill put together one of the DIY websites on weebly for now.

antti@561detailing
02-19-2014, 04:32 PM
You can check out this thread from yesterday.
Some really good ideas there also.
Question: How to improve detailing time using FLEX 3401? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/76546-question-how-improve-detailing-time-using-flex-3401-a.html)
Some good ideas about production detail and paint correction.

lawrenceSA
02-20-2014, 05:19 AM
I have intentionally targeted the car clubs / enthusiasts and do not do any type of 'production detailing'.

I do one full detail per weekend, on weekends only, and am currently taking bookings for July. My clients are mostly people who are passionate about cars but have not had any previous guidance on how to properly maintain their paint.

My 'business model' is to bring their paint back to life, educate them on proper maintenance thereafter (some theory and practical) and to then hook them up with the requisite products. Any future maintenance polishes I will do, but I am not a wash n wax type set up....

All of my work has come from word of mouth and through the posting up of work I have done on various car club forums and I prefer to our my love for this into cars where it will be appreciated.

This business model will not work for all though, but it does for me.