PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat Damage! What Should I do?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ltoman
07-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Ok, our green van is due to get sold, but I found this on the top. Mind you, the rest of the van I have polished and all, and it has no issues. But this one spot way up on the roof has peeling clearcoat. (Yep, I know it is clear coat failure, but I hope to keep it to just this spot!)I know you can't fix it per se, but I can't just leave it like that!!
What do you guys think I should do here with this?

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/laurentoman_2007/P7070156.jpg

and here is another:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/laurentoman_2007/P7070155.jpg
Thank you for all your input!!
~Lauren:( :( We have to sell this.
My husband laughed when I told him you can get more $$ if the paint looks good - definitely not an AG-er!!!:mad:

Thejoyofdriving
07-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, that would be clear coat failure, it happens when the clear coat gets too thin. You probably polished the clear coat too thin, or it was already too thin. there is no easy solution, the only thing i could think of is to sand it down, repaint and shoot more clear on the roof. Most people just repaint the whole car. :( Sorry, there is no easy fix i know of, soon it will start to peel, and eventualy the unprotected paint will start turning white, and it will wear down to the primer, then the metal, then the metal will rust. And yes, you are right, if the paint looks good, you do get more money, usually, some people just dont care.

ltoman
07-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Well, that would be clear coat failure.
Yes, I know.
Now the question is - do I leave it as is? PC over it and wax anyway? Just wax that spot that way? There enlies the quandry.....:(
_Lauren

Thejoyofdriving
07-08-2007, 02:22 PM
do not PC over it, that will make it worse. I would not wax it either, there is no point, you might even do more damage. And look back at my first post, i added more to it.

ltoman
07-08-2007, 02:25 PM
do not PC over it, that will make it worse. I would not wax it either, there is no point, you might even do more damage. And look back at my first post, i added more to it.

Darn! :( :( I was hoping I could stop it from spreading, and make this spot look better. It is NOT worth a repaint.
Thank you lots, btw!!! Much appreciated.:)

pirex
07-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Just let it be there, and sell the van ;) I bet the buyer wont see it! Lets say 20$? :p

FMINUS
07-08-2007, 05:41 PM
My wife had that ALL OVER her car (1990 Honda Civic DX) I used a razor blade to remove it and tried to wax it (fogive me, this was over 5 years ago). It looked ok, much better than the peel.

I would say just remove it w a razor then smooth it out as much as you can with a polish. It wont look bad until the wax/glaze wears out.

Reddwarf
07-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Lauren, that looks terrible. Sell that thing fast. It looks like skin peeling from a sunburn.

That makes me scared to polish my car!

ltoman
07-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Lauren, that looks terrible. Sell that thing fast. It looks like skin peeling from a sunburn.

LOL - that was on the roof, and I never used the pc up there. I can't even see it. My husband actually helped wash it (I know, I almost had a heart attack too!!) But he climbed up a ladder, and he is already 6'4", so he saw it. I guess it occuured (sp?) in the lot the 2 1/2 weeks we were gone. (It was left in an airport lot, but it is not garaged anyhow.)

So no worries. This is what happens when you DON"T take care of it!! LOL!!

ZoranC
07-08-2007, 06:35 PM
do not PC over it, that will make it worse. I would not wax it either, there is no point, you might even do more damage.
Darn! :( :( I was hoping I could stop it from spreading, and make this spot look better. It is NOT worth a repaint.
Lauren, I would triple-check first before following that advice.

First, I did hear of companies doing clear coat repair. I have never researched more on it so I don't know facts.

Second, if memory serves me well advice in the case of the clear coat failure is to protect it well to prevent further spreading, acceleration of failure, and impact on paint that is now exposed.

I have also heard of people wet sending it (for aesthetic purposes).

My advice is that you head to the other forums, including MO, and repost question there as many of them have dealt with cc failures. Also, you are living in neighborhood of some very very experienced detailers.

ZoranC
07-08-2007, 06:36 PM
I hope you are joking, right?

ltoman
07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Lauren, I would triple-check first before following that advice.

First, I did hear of companies doing clear coat repair. I have never researched more on it so I don't know facts.

Second, if memory serves me well advice in the case of the clear coat failure is to protect it well to prevent further spreading, acceleration of failure, and impact on paint that is now exposed.

I have also heard of people wet sending it (for aesthetic purposes).

My advice is that you head to the other forums, including MO, and repost question there as many of them have dealt with cc failures. Also, you are living in neighborhood of some very very experienced detailers.

Thank you very much!! Some excellent thoughts there.
There is a guy on our street who does detailing but it is only paint related - like scratches, chips, etc - he doesn't polish. I may just ask him. We don't want to put any more $$ into it. Wet sanding - that had crossed my mind too, but I know little about it, so I posted this.
I will get up there and wax the rest of her before it goes too. Think that will help? A strong sealant is what I was thinking - any opinions on that? Generally i am not a fan of sealants, I like nuba, but not in this case.

thanks. I will be taking your advice!

~Lauren:)

ltoman
07-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Yah, he is just teasing. I mean who would neglect a JAG of all things??? it certainly isn't a 9 year old van....although it was a top of line for its day....it is still nappy! hee hee

joe.p
07-08-2007, 06:52 PM
.i hope you can fix the situation without giving up an arm..

sorry to see your having problems

Reddwarf
07-08-2007, 07:31 PM

Yes, I'm just saying it looks wicked. As I said it looks like peeling skin after a sunburn, maybe some aloe vera would help! haa haa:D