PDA

View Full Version : First time using abrasives (Menzerna) - Tips?

mdgrwl
02-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Finish has some light swirls and fine scratches. There are a few deeper scratches here and there too.

I have Menzerna:
FG400
PF2500
SF4000

Lake Country 3" & 5.5" Flat pads:
Yellow
Orange
Pink (step between orange & white)
White
Black

I was thinking of not using the FG400 as the finish isnt that bad... but hitting the spot scratches with PF2500 & 3" Orange pad. Then going over the entire car with PF2500 & Pink 5.5" pad (or should I go White)?? Then finishing with SF4000 and the Black pad.

Thoughts?

Mike Phillips
02-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Your plan sounds good, that is test least aggressive before going all in... see what a medium cut polish can do and if it's not working fast enough or effective enough you can always get more aggressive.

What are you working on?

:)

mdgrwl
02-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks Mike. Im working on my Audi S5 which seems to have soft paint.

Here it is just cleaned with P21S Paint Cleaner & topped with Collinite 915. Photo is enhanced. In person, I'm not a fan of what Collinite 915 did to the finish, mutted it and dulled it down a bit IMO. I liked it better just cleaned with P21S.

Mike Phillips
02-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Be very sure to do a test spot with whatever you want to start with and then carefully inspect the paint to make sure the results you're getting are the results you hoped for and dream about.

You might even use a diluted mixture of IPA to wipe the paint down and then inspect.

mdgrwl
02-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks again. What mixture do you find to work well? 50/50? Or more diluted? I think it comes 70% alcohol from the store...

I also have Menzerna Top Inspection but heard it doesnt completely reveal the finish... ever use it?

Mike Phillips
02-19-2014, 11:53 AM
You don't need a strong dilution.... I have an article on this topic, it's the article I never wanted to write but there were a bunch of gurus in the forum world telling people to use this stuff with no other info, meaning a person could purchase the 91% and use it straight due to the "lack of information" being thrown around loosely.

:laughing:

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results

Here are the easiest ways to mix an approximate 10% solution for the most popular concentrations of Isopropyl Alcohol available at the retail level.

91% IPA
To mix a 32 ounce Spray Bottle
Pour 4 ounces or ¼ of a 16 ounce bottle of 91% IPA into a 32 ounce spray bottle and top the rest of the bottle off with water. This will make 32 ounces at 11.375% IPA to Water solution.

70% IPA
8 ounces (or ½ of a 16 ounce bottle) will make 32 ounce of 17.5% IPA to Water solution. Get a 32 ounce container, pour in 8 ounces, (or ½ of a 16 ounce bottle) of the 70% IPA and then fill the rest of the container up with water and you get 32 ounces of 17.5% IPA to Water solution.

50% IPA
8 ounces, (or ½ of a 16 ounce bottle) will make 32 ounces of 12.5% IPA to Water solution. Get a 32 ounce container and pour in 8 ounces, (or ½ of a 16 ounce bottle) of the 50% IPA then fill the container up with water and you get 32 ounces of 12.5% solution.

Don't turn this into rocket science, the big picture is to only do a test spot and make sure you're getting the results you want before buffing out the entire car.