PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Guys "Vintage"

wdmaccord
02-18-2014, 09:01 PM
So...with the spring-like weather here today, I was looking over my wishlist to start putting together what I need to order when spring actually gets here. I notice that CG Leather Conditioner is no longer available. So I check the CG website and it appears they have the same products (Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner) but they appear to have new packaging ("vintage")? Is this truly the case...same product just different packaging? And when will AG be picking these up (even though I see AG still has the Cleaner in the old packaging)?

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-18-2014, 09:08 PM
CG revamped their line and now call a lot of there stuff Vintage Series. They say the Vintage products are re-formulated to work better than the original product. I use and love their Leather cleaner & conditioner.

jamesboyy
02-18-2014, 09:12 PM
So...with the spring-like weather here today, I was looking over my wishlist to start putting together what I need to order when spring actually gets here. I notice that CG Leather Conditioner is no longer available. So I check the CG website and it appears they have the same products (Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner) but they appear to have new packaging ("vintage")? Is this truly the case...same product just different packaging? And when will AG be picking these up (even though I see AG still has the Cleaner in the old packaging)?

As far as I know yes it's the same product but with a different look/with fine tuning that is just to bring in more customers/profit, and more than likely once AG runs out of the old looking bottles they will start with the new style but it may take a while before they update the AG website picture though

wdmaccord
02-18-2014, 09:12 PM
CG revamped their line and now call a lot of there stuff Vintage Series. They say the Vintage products are re-formulated to work better than the original product. I use and love their Leather cleaner & conditioner.

do you use the "all-in-one" product or the separate products? I use the separate products. The cleaner is a clear liquid and the conditioner is a light brown cream with a "leather" scent.

I think you answered my question though, so thank you. Now just want to know when AG will be stocked.:xyxthumbs:

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-18-2014, 09:15 PM
I use the separates like you. Never been a fan of cleaner/conditioner in one TBH.

TheFrankenberry
02-18-2014, 09:25 PM
If you don't want to wait for AG to carry CG's reformulation, you can always give Leatherique a try. After I ditched CG stuff, it's what I went with and am very happy with its results.

Tato
02-18-2014, 09:58 PM
I've not used any vintage yet, but I'd assume they should be as nice or even better than the conventional version. For the leather, I like either separated products or combined (cleaner+conditioning product).

It's just a matter of what you're willing to do. For thorough cleaning and better conditioning, no doubt using a dedicated product will do a better job. For maintenance work, Clean and Condition AIO works great for me, and really makes things fast.

What I do is apply the AIO product and work it with a leather brush. Instead of removing residue immediately, I let it on for ~1-2 minutes, then remove excess. Dirt comes out, and leather feels soft and conditioned again.

I'm to try the CG Leather Serum, but that may take a while until I place a new order there. Looks very promising though.

Apart from CG Leather products, I've been used to Mothers cleaner, conditioning, and AIO leather care. All three are Top notch in my opinion. I've ordered mainly based on very positive reviews at Amazon, and I don't regret any cent spent on the whole Mothers Leather line.

Kind Regards.

GettingStarted
02-18-2014, 10:37 PM
I've used the heavy metal polish and the vintage leather cleaner/conditioner. Personally I love the metal polish and the vintage leather cleaner/conditioner so far has been perfect for mid-level to lightly soiled leather with a microfiber applicator pad for light scrubbing and a towel to buff off the excess. Although I have been playing around with the with DP Leather Cleaner/Conditioner and feel like it has much better cleaning ability.

shagnat
02-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Once my AIO leather cleaner/conditioner runs out, I'll go with the separate products. Currently using Pig Snot AIO. Does a good job, but, I keep my interior fairly clean and have no children to make messes. I never let more than 2 weeks go by where I don't clean the interior. Of course that's just the front seats as the rear seats hardly ever have anyone sit on them, however, since I want the leather to remain in top-notch condition, I'll clean those once a month.
CG has too many products and variations of several of their products till I tend to stay away from them.

RMM
02-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Conditioners are not needed: they are a marketing gimmick.

Protect from new / Clean regularly (vacuum, etc) / Deep clean every 6 months

The only conditioner leather needs is water.

wdmaccord
02-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Conditioners are not needed: they are a marketing gimmick.

Protect from new / Clean regularly (vacuum, etc) / Deep clean every 6 months

The only conditioner leather needs is water.

Disagree a little only because the conditioners typically have UV protectant. I realize with the clear coated vinyl most cars have this day the conditioner doesn't really do much from a "conditioning" standpoint. But the UV protection is good. On newer cars I usually go with 303 Aerospace for the UV protection. I'll use conditioner on older "leather" that looks and feels a little dry and has been neglected.

Lakeside Detail
02-24-2014, 10:38 PM
I polished quite a few exhaust tips with the heavy metal polish, I like it a lot!!

I also have the vintage series butter wet wax, I only have used it so far on cycle tanks but it seems like a good product. EZ on and off.