PDA

View Full Version : First Time DA Purchase - Which and Why

Pages : [1] 2 3

BlackRam
02-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Hey-
I am going to place an order for a DA thanks to some very convincing forum members (correcting a full size ram by hand would be a hell). I am not sure which one to buy. 7424XP? GG6? A different one? Which one and why? And or which kit to buy? Thanks guys

GreatAvalon
02-18-2014, 08:01 PM
I haven't ever used a real powerful DA before, only the cheap $30 ones from stores. I went with the PC 7424XP for no other reason than it is supposed to be hard to cause damage with it, it was the most talked about in regards to it being really easy to learn on, and the cost was good. I didn't even know about the Griot Garage one until after I ordered it. I am happy I bought the 7424XP but if I would have seen the GG one I would have really looked into comparisons between the two.

Even though the GG6 is a 6" one, I'm assuming it can still be used with a 5" backing plate w/ 5.5" pads?

HateSwirls
02-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Both the PC and the GG6 are very capable in correcting even the worst paint.
I have both, my PC was my first DA, always had a rotary, then later I bought the GG6, has a lot more power than of the PC.
Which one is better?, well it depends on who you ask.
I put my PC through hell and back and not once did it let me down.
However my GG6 died only a few months after buying it but Griot's has told me to send it back and they will send me a new one.
I'll be sending it back when I have time.

So if I had to buy just one again which one would I buy?
Without thinking twice I'd buy the GG6 hands down due to its power and the lifetime warranty they give you.
IMO the PC is more durable and will out last my new GG6 however.

Make sure you get a 5" backing plate to accept the 5.5" pads, both units work best using the smaller pads.

Bill1234
02-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Almost everybody buys the pc, its easy to use and works well, Autogeek has a starter kit like this
Porter Cable 7424XP Intro Pad Kit - Choose Your CCS Pads! (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-pad-kit.html) I would pick a correcting and a finishing pad and then buy your compound and polish separate.

HateSwirls
02-18-2014, 08:11 PM
I haven't ever used a real powerful DA before, only the cheap $30 ones from stores. I went with the PC 7424XP for no other reason than it is supposed to be hard to cause damage with it, it was the most talked about in regards to it being really easy to learn on, and the cost was good. I didn't even know about the Griot Garage one until after I ordered it. I am happy I bought the 7424XP but if I would have seen the GG one I would have really looked into comparisons between the two.

Even though the GG6 is a 6" one, I'm assuming it can still be used with a 5" backing plate w/ 5.5" pads?

Yes you can install the 5" backing plate on both machines:dblthumb2:

Coopers ST
02-18-2014, 08:12 PM
So if I had to buy just one again which one would I buy?
Without thinking twice I'd buy the GG6 hands down due to its power and the lifetime warranty they give you.

That is the one I bought for this very reason

tuscarora dave
02-18-2014, 08:15 PM
If you're really just going to do 2 trucks, coat them and never use the polisher again, I suggest placing an order here for a good 5" backing plate and some pads then print a 20% off Harbor Freight Tools coupon and pick their Chicago Electric Platinum DA polisher up for like $45.

spiralout462
02-18-2014, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=GreatAvalon;1045870]I haven't ever used a real powerful DA before, only the cheap $30 ones from stores. I went with the PC 7424XP for no other reason than it is supposed to be hard to cause damage with it, it was the most talked about in regards to it being really easy to learn on, and the cost was good. I didn't even know about the Griot Garage one until after I ordered it. I am happy I bought the 7424XP but if I would have seen the GG one I would have really looked into comparisons between the two.

Even though the GG6 is a 6" one, I'm assuming it can still be used with a 5" backing plate w/ 5.5" pads?[QUOTE]

Yes. Both machines work best with 5.5" x 7/8" pads. I wouldn't trade my PC for a Griot's and it's hard for me to believe it's an "upgrade". Now the Flex and Rupes machines are a different story. :xyxthumbs:

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-18-2014, 08:30 PM
I absolutely love my GG unit. But if I were spending my money now and had no machine, I would take a look at the Flex and Rupes units honestly.

Sbmin
02-18-2014, 08:35 PM
I would suggest that you buy the GG6. More power, lifetime warranty.

AeroCleanse
02-18-2014, 08:36 PM
If you can afford it, get a Rupes and or Rupes Kit

BlackRam
02-18-2014, 08:39 PM
If you're really just going to do 2 trucks, coat them and never use the polisher again, I suggest placing an order here for a good 5" backing plate and some pads then print a 20% off Harbor Freight Tools coupon and pick their Chicago Electric Platinum DA polisher up for like $45.

Well it would just be my truck then a coating. I would do my wifes jeep with a sealant. I saw the harbor freight ones but i dont want to buy crap if it is or have it die halfway thru.

People give reasons why gg6 is better because of lifetime warranty and more power, so why would the pc be better?

Thanks all

Bill1234
02-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Well it would just be my truck then a coating. I would do my wifes jeep with a sealant. I saw the harbor freight ones but i dont want to buy crap if it is or have it die halfway thru.

People give reasons why gg6 is better because of lifetime warranty and more power, so why would the pc be better?

Thanks all

most like the pc becuase its relatively easy to use for a new user. I say go for what you want, just most learn on the porter cable

ski2
02-18-2014, 08:45 PM
For the price IMO the GG is the best bang for the buck.
For those of us who do this as a hobby I can't understand why anyone wouldn't buy the GG6. It has more power than the PC--equipped with a 5" backing plate and 5..5" pads there isn't anything it can't handle with the right products in a reasonable amount of time without worrying about stopping rotation on curved panels--especially those new to machine polishing. And, if you're only using it 5-10 times a year and it breaks three years from now Griots will replace it with a new unit. I can understand a pro not having the luxury of sending it back and waiting for a new unit, but hobbyists don't have that constraint.

TundraPower
02-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Hey-
I am going to place an order for a DA thanks to some very convincing forum members (correcting a full size ram by hand would be a hell). I am not sure which one to buy. 7424XP? GG6? A different one? Which one and why? And or which kit to buy? Thanks guys

7424XP or GG6 will work, but you'd better be one patient person, as it will take a very long time to properly correct a Dodge Ram with either of them. You will be much happier with a Rupes polisher kit.

Maybe this one?

Rupes LHR 15ES Big Foot Random Orbital Standard Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-15es-standard-kit.html)