PDA

View Full Version : Is Volkswagen using Ceraciclear for 2014?

Pages : [1] 2

tuscarora dave
02-18-2014, 11:50 AM
I have a 2014 dark gray Volkswagen TDI coming in on Sunay. The client wants "the scratches buffed out of the clear" and a coat of Opti-Coat applied.

Just wondering if any VW guys here could tell me anything about the clear they're using for 2014?

This would be an opportunity for any PA members to get involved in some hands on "Detailing 101" stuff at my shop. I'll likely have this car until the client comes back into town the following Friday.

Desertnate
02-18-2014, 11:55 AM
I think LawrenceSA is the resident VW guru. Hopefully he can provide some insight.

Please be sure to post how this goes. I have a black '14 that will need a gentle correction from the winter detailing and factory installed swirls. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and how the work play out.

WillWashesCars
02-18-2014, 12:01 PM
I couldn't find any confirmation or service manuals confirming the use of Ceramiclear in their 2014 line but that doesn't mean they definitely aren't.

tuscarora dave
02-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Regardless of what it is, you know it'll be handled through test sections as usual, but I just tend to want to know up front.

Having the car for an entire week and the fact that things are really slow here for me, I should have plenty of time for photos on this one.

lawrenceSA
02-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Dave, I haven't had the pleasure of working on one yet and have found nothing conclusive on the use of ceramic clear on these models.

If I manage to find out anything I will let you know.

SYMAWD
02-18-2014, 12:12 PM
I work at a VW dealer and have never heard of one having it.

FUNX650
02-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Dave...

Hopefully you may find out the information you're looking for here:
Volkswagen of America (http://m.vw.com/#contact-vw)

Bob

tuscarora dave
02-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone...

I hope it's not as hard as Ceramiclear anyway. If so, Oh Well...Won't be a first, sure it won't be a last either though, every time I correct Ceramiclear paint, I mumble under my breath that I'm never doing it again. :laughing:

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-18-2014, 01:38 PM
I work at a VW dealer and have never heard of one having it.

My buddy who works at the local dealership said the same. As far as he knew, same for the new MKVII`s coming.

ski2
02-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Just spent a half hour with the VW factory rep at the Pgh auto show about new things in 2014 and coming down the pike. No mention of any change in the paint. Dave--I have two a 2007 and 2012 -- both are hard as nails.

Off topic, but interesting--VW is working on a nation wide agreement with APR and already allows APR chips without voiding the warranty. My VW dealer is already a certified APR installer. This will be fantastic for all the turbo charged engines VW has in their line with more to come.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-18-2014, 06:49 PM
^^^ It makes sense as APR has helped with a lot of their concepts and racing program. It aligns with Stasis under Audi & Polestar under Volvo.

tuscarora dave
02-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Dave--I have two a 2007 and 2012 -- both are hard as nails.

Thanks man, at least I know what I'm up against. I figured it would be fairly hard clear and I'm prepared for it.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Oh yeah. You`ll probably end up with super aggressive compound. I have used CG V32 more than any other strength when working on VW paint. Can`t wait to try my new Wolfgang on the way.

tuscarora dave
02-18-2014, 08:23 PM
I'll most likely fart around with HD Cut for a little while then put it back on the shelf like everything else I try and reach for M-105 and get the work done without having to go through a learning curve of any sorts.

It just works.

pikiki
02-18-2014, 09:42 PM
When it gets to you check on the drivers door for the manufacturer decal, you will se three numbers for the paint code if the numbers start with a letter C is ceramiclear bro...