PDA

View Full Version : how to ease my nerves

Pages : [1] 2 3

Abram86
02-18-2014, 12:24 AM
I love detailing and I want to always keep every customer that I can and for that reason I always get nervous after finishing the vehicle. By the time the customer shows up I start feeling like I missed or forgot something. How can I fix that problem?

andrewbmw
02-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Checklists for every detail package you have, then after the detail do one or two little things extra, and put at the end of the checklist. Then you know you did your work plus it's nice to give that to customers.

GreatAvalon
02-18-2014, 12:33 AM
I would say have confidence in yourself! You know what you are doing, and you are probably getting better with every car that you do. I would say as long as you are putting your all into the job and not knowingly short changing customers, you have nothing to worry about! You should be able to sleep easy at night if you are honest and are putting forth the effort/work the customer is paying you for. So don't worry yourself over the things you can't change!

Maybe you can make a check list to double check the entire car after you are done with the job. This way you can mark off each thing you look for when you are feeling like you forgot something, and you can always refer back to that "Final Inspection Sheet" we'll call it. That is a quick way to relieve that feeling you are having.

Confidence radiates. When you are confident in the job you did, the customer senses it!

I'm not a professional, just trying to offer up some advice!

GreatAvalon
02-18-2014, 12:34 AM
Checklists for every detail package you have, then after the detail do one or two little things extra, and put at the end of the checklist. Then you know you did your work plus it's nice to give that to customers.
Hey, great minds think alike :dblthumb2:

Abram86
02-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Thanks for that advice!

Romans5.8
02-18-2014, 05:45 AM
I'll second (third?) that on checklists. I don't detail professionally, but I use some manner of checklist for so many aspects of my personal and professional life. It's a tremendous help. I even have checklists pre-prepared for trips! I don't forget anything, since I check each item off! Toiletries, clothes, tools, etc.

Tato
02-18-2014, 08:17 AM

This is so 'obvious', so important, but I was missing... Great advice!

Of course I was checking my after work, but always in a mind organized way. I've already had the feeling described by OP.

Checklist is no doubt way better.

I know I should do my own (I will), but have anyone a model for us to start following and adapting?

I mean, we won't need to re-invent the wheel again, and again.

Thank you in advance.

Mike Phillips
02-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Get a Fresh Set of Eyes!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Fresh_Set_Of_Eyeballs.jpg

How to make sure you haven't missed anything after detailing a car? Like a wax smudge?

Have a fresh set of eyes look over the car.

Important: Move the car into a different light setting, as in move it outside, or turn it around in your garage, etc.

Then have a fresh set of eyes look at it, i.e. your girlfriend, brother, mom, dad, neighbor, good buddy, etc.

:)

GenesisCoupe
02-18-2014, 08:30 AM
For every detail package you have it would be a good idea to have a checklist for that particular one you just completed. I'm sure you will add more stuff to the list as you go.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Get a Fresh Set of Eyes!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Fresh_Set_Of_Eyeballs.jpg

How to make sure you haven't missed anything after detailing a car? Like a wax smudge?

Have a fresh set of eyes look over the car.

Important: Move the car into a different light setting, as in move it outside, or turn it around in your garage, etc.

Then have a fresh set of eyes look at it, i.e. your girlfriend, brother, mom, dad, neighbor, good buddy, etc.

:)

That`s the best advice here Mike!!!!! I love to use my wife, shes learned from me to be a critic.

Edit: I always ask my customers to walk around their vehicle and point out anything that catches their eye. IMO, this does 2 things:

1. It saves them and you time in case you forget something and they want it fixed, you do it then.
2. It shows that you really want to ensure that they are happy with your work.

ShaunD
02-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Getting organized and staying that way until the customer leaves with the vehicle. This includes, like stated, having checklists, and sticking to the order of steps/procedures you set and outline for yourself with each specific vehicle. Also, doing a thorough walk around with the client and using a VIF will help you to stick to only the issues the client has agreed upon. When you come across unforeseen issues, contact the client to verify if he wants those things tended to. Stay away from stimulants like caffeine and energy drinks l, and remember to breath.:)

Mike Phillips
05-30-2014, 11:00 AM
That`s the best advice here Mike!!!!! I love to use my wife, shes learned from me to be a critic.

It's amazing how the better-half always seems to have the unique super power to find the things you missed.

I always ask my customers to walk around their vehicle and point out anything that catches their eye. IMO, this does 2 things:

1. It saves them and you time in case you forget something and they want it fixed, you do it then.

2. It shows that you really want to ensure that they are happy with your work.

Those two tips are worth their weight in gold and worthy of a dedicated article. If you don't mind I'll write the article but give you due credit.

Getting organized and staying that way until the customer leaves with the vehicle. This includes, like stated, having checklists, and sticking to the order of steps/procedures you set and outline for yourself with each specific vehicle.

Also, doing a thorough walk around with the client and using a VIF will help you to stick to only the issues the client has agreed upon. When you come across unforeseen issues, contact the client to verify if he wants those things tended to.

Stay away from stimulants like caffeine and energy drinks l,

and remember to breath. :)

Great advice....

:dblthumb2:

FUNX650
05-30-2014, 11:28 AM
{Sing-a-long...With this Trini Lopez hit song of yore:
"If You Wanna Be Happy For The Rest Of Your Life,
Don't Make A Pretty Woman Your Wife"...in mind:}

"If you want detailing nerves-of-steel:
The ones that you'll never begrudge.
Marry someone that grew up with a Father,