PDA

View Full Version : All in One Hand Job!!!.....on a Black VW Passat. Working around having a 1 year old Son.

Pages : [1] 2

mc4nam
02-17-2014, 11:35 AM
This is a 2013 Passat with about 5600 miles that I have not really had time to do a real clean up to since I got it in September. I bought it new and it had been on the lot for about 7 months and it had some minor dealer swirls but nothing to bad.

I do not have a DA but I am considering one. The Harbor Freight one is only about $45 with coupons. I amy buy it and everything else I need and try it on my wife's 2008 silver Honda pilot 1st before I go at my black car. Anyways, to the detail.

I am sure a bunch of you have children. I thought I would share how I got my car done while not sacrificing too much time with my 1 year old. I am just a guy that likes to take care of his car and got a lot of these ideas from this forum. I am open to suggested improvements.

Well here you go. I have been registered here a while but have never really tried to do everything right but the weather was right this weekend and decided it was time.

Interior:

Saturday during sons 2 hour morning nap about 10am. Took about 2.5 hours

Products Used:

Rigid 5.0 peak HP Wet Dry Vacuum
Stinger Micro Vacuum kit - Stinger Micro-Cleaning Kit-VT1215 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-Micro-Cleaning-Kit-VT1215/100139249?keyword=computer+vacuum+kit)
Swiffer duster
1z Deep Cleaner
1z Cockpit premium
Aerospace protectant
Surf City Dash Away
Car Pro glass towels
Costco Microfiber

Pulled out mats and vacuumed. I posted a link to the little stinger micro kit to add to my vacuum. Works great for vents and in between seats and other tight places.
Then on to to Dusting. I like the Swiffer pretty well for picking up the dust before wiping. Deep cleaned a few spots with Deep cleaner. Used both Cockpit premium and Aerospace just to see the difference. They work equally well to me. Used what was left of my Dash away to clean my Husky plastic floor mats.

Wheels, Tires, and Wheel wells:

Saturday Night about 7 pm after my Son went to sleep. About 1.5 hours.

Products Used:

2 buckets
Optimum Power Clean 3:1
Chemical Guys Maxi Suds
Chemical Guys Microfiber wash mitt
Optimum Opti-Mitt 8 Inch Foam Wash Mitt
Speed Master and Speed Master Jr
*Chemical Guys Black on Black
*DP Gloss Tire gel
Cobra Guzzler

Sprayed the Power clean on wheels and wells and Let Dwell. Used Foam round wash mitt agitate power clean into wheel wells. Rinsed. Then wash wheels with maxi suds, CG wash Mitt and used both speedmasters to get behind wheels and wheel barrells. Came out pretty good considering I was working with limited light. *Used DP gloss and black on black on Sunday after total wash.

Exterior:

Sunday morning at 6am. Son sleeps until about 8:30. I worked until about Noon with about a 30 minute break to feed my son breakfast. 5.5 hours.

Products Used:

Gilmour Foam Gun
2 buckets
MicroFiber Madness Incredimitt
Iron X
Nano Skin Mitt
CG Maxi Suds
Tar X
ONR mixed as a quick detailer
UWW waterless wash
Leaf Blower
Meguiars All in One Black wax
Optimum Spray Wax
Optimum Opti seal
*Chemical Guys Black on Black
*DP Gloss Tire gel
Microfiber Tech Green 600 GSM
MicroFiber Tech Crazy Pile
Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy
Meguiars black sponge applicator
Autogeek Yellow round sponge applicator

My order of attack was:

Foam
Rinse
Foam
2 Bucket wash
Rinse
Iron X
Foam over Iron X
2 Bucket wash
Rinse
Foam
Nano Skin Mitt while Foamed. Used ONR as well to Lubricate even more.
Rinse
Sheet rinse
Leaf Blower
Dry

1st time using Nano skin and it went well I think. No problems that I could see afterwards. 1st time using Iron X. It was Lemon scent and it still stinks to me. I can't Imagine how bad the regular version was.

Used Microfiber madness dry me crazy for 1st time. The cobra Guzzler has been regulated to wheels now.

I think the Meguiars black wax worked well. It seemed to remove most of the minor swirls. I can still see a few but for a daily driver I am pretty happy withit

I followed with a coat of optimum spray wax and then Opti-seal to get a little more shine and protection. I do not see how you can put on opti seal without buffing out a little. I could not get just the right amount on the sponge so it would just dry and dissipate on its on.

I think that is all. Here are some pictures after. Sorry, I forgot the before pictures.

Thanks for all the tips I found here and for any future input and ideas.

ken tuep
02-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Nice job! The title is cracking me up! Hahah

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Awesome job. When I read the title.....mind in gutter. Lol.

jamesboyy
02-17-2014, 12:17 PM
What an adventure you had but with that said you still achived excellent
Results..keep up the good work

BobbyG
02-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Simply stunning!!

Tato
02-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Great write up.

Also, no excuse for the before pictures, no doubt this car never looked this way earlier.

I've started by hand, and also could achieve great results to be proud of. By the way, you will not believe what you can do using a DA and quality pads and polishes.

No, that's not your fault. It's humanly impossible to make 6800 perfect orbits per minute rotating the pad and maintaining even pressure and speed, BY HAND... all day long.

You look very talented, and I support your search for a DA.

Also, take a look for quality pads and polishes like the ones you can find at AG.

I also recommend before jumping on a cheap machine (I don't know this HF machine to comment about it), quote your prices and then make a call to AG, asking for help to get the most of you order to start well.

I've learned (sometimes the hard way) that in detailing, the quality of your work can get as high as the product rating you're using. AG helps us a lot because they already filter the good from the bad, and everything you can order here will be at least as good as concurrence.

Trust the giants, and your work will be well backed up.

I do.

Thanks for sharing,

Kind Regards.

KneeDragr
02-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Looks like your "All In One Hand Job" had a happy ending!

Just02896
02-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Nothing beats a good hand job! Lol!
Passat looks great!

Paul Mitchell
02-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Looks great!

ArkayoDeetayo
02-17-2014, 01:38 PM
I don't think your son appreciates you off giving hand jobs while he is asleep

maybe put him on a stroller and let him watch you give hand jobs so he can be a pro when he grows up

mc4nam
02-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Great write up.

Also, no excuse for the before pictures, no doubt this car never looked this way earlier.

I've started by hand, and also could achieve great results to be proud of. By the way, you will not believe what you can do using a DA and quality pads and polishes.

No, that's not your fault. It's humanly impossible to make 6800 perfect orbits per minute rotating the pad and maintaining even pressure and speed, BY HAND... all day long.

You look very talented, and I support your search for a DA.

Also, take a look for quality pads and polishes like the ones you can find at AG.

I also recommend before jumping on a cheap machine (I don't know this HF machine to comment about it), quote your prices and then make a call to AG, asking for help to get the most of you order to start well.

I've learned (sometimes the hard way) that in detailing, the quality of your work can get as high as the product rating you're using. AG helps us a lot because they already filter the good from the bad, and everything you can order here will be at least as good as concurrence.

Trust the giants, and your work will be well backed up.

I do.

Thanks for sharing,

Kind Regards.

Thanks a lot. I will look at AG's pricing before purchasing a DA. Yes. The hand work was pretty crazy. Once over with the meguiars and then again for the opti-seal. Not counting all of the microfiber buffing and washing.

My Neighbors do think I am crazy. One saw me washing the wheels in the dark on Saturday and the same car passed by at 6:15 am, basically still dark while I was foaming the car. I bet they said has this guy been washing the car all night?

Another one walked by and gave me a crazy look when I was leaf blowing my car. The one smart neighbor asked if his car was next. I told him he couldn't afford it!

mc4nam
02-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Nice job! The title is cracking me up! Hahah

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Awesome job. When I read the title.....mind in gutter. Lol.

Looks like your "All In One Hand Job" had a happy ending!

Nothing beats a good hand job! Lol!
Passat looks great!

I don't think your son appreciates you off giving hand jobs while he is asleep

maybe put him on a stroller and let him watch you give hand jobs so he can be a pro when he grows up

I figured the title would be fun, I was worried the Mods may get me though! :nomore:

mc4nam
02-17-2014, 02:28 PM
What an adventure you had but with that said you still achived excellent
Results..keep up the good work

Simply stunning!!

Looks great!

Thanks Guys! Now that I have her all clean, The next few touch ups will be with the Ultimate WW. It will be my 1st time doing one.

My question is how in the heck do you do a Waterless wash and get behind the wheels and the wells very good?

The Guz
02-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Lots of laughs in this thread.

Good job by the way. If you are looking for something with a little more cleaning power check out white wax. It can be used on any color not just light colored cars.

KBsToy
02-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Thanks for making me smile :)

Car looks great !!!!