PDA

View Full Version : Salt build up removal.

Pages : [1] 2 3

mmartin0617
02-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Ok guys I tried searching forn a thread on this and my phone is doing something weird and won't let me. I am very new to every aspect of detailing. Go easy on me. I attached a picture so hopefully it shows up. Oddly enough there are people who will say that you don't need a hot water extractor. Well tell me how my VX5000 is going to solve this problem. Of course I tried steaming the salt mound down. Sure who am I kidding but nothing ventured nothing gained. The thing I am hearing was vinegar and water compound. Maybe this will work. But what about the "1/2 thick salt mounds in customers cars I will have to deal with when I start?Any help? Pressure wash floor mats for this? Don't have on yet. Will I need one and a hot water extractor to do tough interiors? I just can't see how a streamer is going to tackle every situation.

dcjredline
02-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Vinegar may work, or try some Folex.

Kyle_Elantra
02-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Try using a brush, you can get ones that attach to your drill or your DA.

I use a stiff yellow brush from CG attached to a drill. I soak the mats in APC or Folex. Then use the brush and do a couple of passes. After that either use an extractor or a wet/dry vac to pull the solution up. I have a Bissell machine ~ that's not heated ~ and it works fine. I let the Folex and agitation do the work and use the water only to flush out the cleaner.

Dr_Pain
02-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Since they are removable carpets, I would definitely flush with water to remove the majority of the salt build up. Salt, even road salt is water soluble, so you are in luck. Not having a power washer is not a problem but will definitely limit your abilities to reach deep into the carpet pile. You could potentially bring your carpets to the local self serve car wash and use their pressure washer to clean the carpets. I would then use a standard shop vac to extract carpet. You can use a carpet cleaner (cheapest and most readily available would be Folex, which you can purchase at Lowes) and a nice upholstery brush and towel dry. One more time with the shop vac for good measure and hang to dry in front of a fan (and possibly a portable heater for added drying power).

A hot water carpet extractor would definitely save you some time (after power washing the "mounts" of accumulated stuff), but is not an absolute necessity.

P.S. Don't forget to protect your newly cleaned carpet with some 303 High tech fabric protectant

Stittville Ed
02-17-2014, 12:20 PM
I have the same problem and it seems to be much worse this winter.
If you can bring them inside to dry them as I do then a stiff brush should get most of it out.
I have a older air compressor that goes to 175PSI and I blow them off with that.
In the spring I have put them in the washing machine and have had good results.

GreatAvalon
02-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Man that looks tough. I am now glad I have WeatherTechs :laughing:

mmartin0617
02-17-2014, 12:23 PM
First post and within a short time I get some great responses. Much appreciated. I will bare the snow today and get some Folex I have seen that word in a lot of forums so far. I think Ibwill like this site a lot. Hope to one day be able to contribute back.

KBsToy
02-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Man that looks tough. I am now glad I have WeatherTechs :laughing:

I bought the Digital cut ones from WeatherTech. Take them out hose them off and back in...

Folex and let it set. Elbow grease then LGM..

GreatAvalon
02-17-2014, 01:06 PM
I bought the Digital cut ones from WeatherTech. Take them out hose them off and back in...
Me too - Digital Liners! I got black and they are white/grey with salt. You think if I spray OPC 10:1 it will help get them cleaner faster?

AeroCleanse
02-17-2014, 01:37 PM
With a lot of salt you need to flush it with water.

No digifit liners are available for my car, so I ended up with the all weather mats.

GreatAvalon
02-17-2014, 02:20 PM
With a lot of salt you need to flush it with water.

No digifit liners are available for my car, so I ended up with the all weather mats.
Thats ok, those are still better than the general fit rubber ones from walmart. I've seen pics of the WT all-weather mats in my car forum and they look really nice as well.

07gtcs
02-17-2014, 02:31 PM
I got them too but a bis dissapointed the dont go up under the dash further. Doesnt even cover the entire dead pedal.

Me too - Digital Liners! I got black and they are white/grey with salt. You think if I spray OPC 10:1 it will help get them cleaner faster?

GreatAvalon
02-17-2014, 03:19 PM
I got them too but a bis dissapointed the dont go up under the dash further. Doesnt even cover the entire dead pedal.
Yessir that is true on mine too. I heard the Husky Floorliners do in fact cover the dead pedal fully.

mmartin0617
02-17-2014, 05:32 PM
I am not so much worried about my car because I have two sets. The nice ones are in the trunk ;). Used only in summer. These are experimental mats because we all know that customers will not be using rubber mats. Not all of them. I will post after pics sometime tomorrow with available equipment used.

GreatAvalon
02-17-2014, 05:48 PM
I am not so much worried about my car because I have two sets. The nice ones are in the trunk ;). Used only in summer. These are experimental mats because we all know that customers will not be using rubber mats. Not all of them. I will post after pics sometime tomorrow with available equipment used.
There you go, that is a good plan. Gotta be able to fix those that are trashed w/o rubber mats! :xyxthumbs: