PDA

View Full Version : How to explain car detailing on air for 45 minutes?

zckid
02-17-2014, 02:33 AM
Hello friends :xyxthumbs:

sunny greetings from Mauritius.:props:

As the title above, I've been asked by a friend who works at the local radio station to a live radio broadcast on car detailing. (on Friday 28th February more precisely)

Car detailing is slowly becoming known in Mauritius and mostly, there are roadside car washes here, and people do not really know what detailing is all about and the correct way to take care of their rides.

For myself, I detail on the side, more of a passion, a hobby than a job. :buffing:

i would like to have your opinion, your insight on the subject, or a structure on how to proceed with the same.

Any help would be most welcome and appreciated.

Feed back please

Many thanks

Zaid

chrislorl
02-17-2014, 05:41 AM
Have A guest speaker like Mike :)

HateSwirls
02-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Cool, I once was on radio for a few weeks (Every Monday) talking about the latest on the computer industry! I guess the ratings were too low because I lost my spot. Lol

Keep to the basics, it would be difficult for me to talk about paint corrections in only 45 minutes.
I'd sure talk some on sealants and coatings being most people never heard of them, more so coatings.
Maybe even a few minutes on Water and Rinse-Less washing.

Have fun:)

Mike Phillips
02-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Congratulations on the opportunity!

I'd keep it simple since a lot of the information you know will be new to the audience. Go over the basics for exterior like,

The basics of washing and drying, share a few techniques

How to inspect the paint after it's washed and dried, visually and by feel int.

Share the Baggie Test
This will have everyone that is listening going out to fee their car's paint with a plastic baggie and since most of these people will have never heard about this test, never done this test and will probably have contaminated paint then will then be surprised at how rough their car's pant feel and by default think you really know your stuff.

Explain that if a person feels little bumps or a rough feel to the paint then this means the paint is contaminated and needs to be clayed using detailing clay or some other product that will mechanically remove the contaminants.

Explain polishing but keep it simple. Explain that if a person discovers swirls and scratches the right way to remove them is by machine using high quality pads and compounds and polishes that use good abrasive technology. Leave it at that.

Then share how thin the clear coat finish on their car by telling the audience to feel a 3M Post-it Note or any piece of printer paper between their fingers like this,

Then let them know that the clear coat on their car is thinner than the paper and that's why if they are going to polish their car's paint or hire a detailer to polish their car's paint that the want to make sure either they or the detailer really knows what they are doing. (This circles back around to the polishing part and using good pads, tools and products that use good abrasive technology)

Share that the the "Average Person" driving a daily driver, that using a one-step cleaner/wax is usually the best option as a good one-step will,

Clean
Polish
Protect

All in one step and most people can do this themselves or hire a detailer to do it for them.

The wrap this up by saying that once you get the paint back to like new condition then this is where you go back to the basics of how to safely wash and dry a car so as not to put scratches back into the paint and every time you wash and dry a car, re-inspect using your sense of touch to see if the paint is still smooth or if it has become contaminated again.

For interior, keep it simple,

Vacuuming to remove loose dirt.
Clean and condition leather and vinyl surfaces - use the right product for the right surface. Share some tips and techniques for how to apply and remove cleaners, conditioners and dressings/protectants.

Glass - Use a good glass cleaner and LOTS of glass cleaning towels, I have an article on this forum somewhere that explains why to have lots of towels or you just fight yourself cross-contaminating.

Wheels and tires - Use a good wheel cleaner that is SAFE for they type of finish the wheel has. Use a tire dressing to restore that new-tire look and share some tips on how to apply and prevent having any excess sling off.

The above is just some real basic stuff to everyone on this forum but for people that are not "into" car detailing this is a lot of new information.

Definitely type up an outline and you might even consider typing up your outline as a Question and Answer format interview where you actually write the questions and the answers.

Then give the host the a copy and they ask you the questions then you simply answer them.

This way you have a course or path to follow you of course you can both "banter" back and forth outside of the script to give the interview a real folksy realism.

If you go with the question/answer format, one benefit is you can get a buddy to read through it and practice your answers. You can also time your session.

Tweak and improve, get it dialed-in beforehand and then you can get all your info out in smooth and controlled flow.

That's off the top of my head, I just arrived to work and read this post and wanted to answer it before I head out to the garage for a while for a project.

Again... congratulations and if it works for you, give yourself a plug with a way for people to contact you. Maybe share AutogeekOnline.net for people that want to learn to do it themselves.

Win/Win/Win

:dblthumb2:

zckid
02-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Have A guest speaker like Mike :)

yes Chris. :iagree: He's the best, actually one of my detailing gurus, albeit thru' AGO :dblthumb2:

Cool, I once was on radio for a few weeks (Every Monday) talking about the latest on the computer industry! I guess the ratings were too low because I lost my spot. Lol

Keep to the basics, it would be difficult for me to talk about paint corrections in only 45 minutes.
I'd sure talk some on sealants and coatings being most people never heard of them, more so coatings.
Maybe even a few minutes on Water and Rinse-Less washing.

Have fun:)

Thanks a lot buddy :xyxthumbs:

I'm doing a lot of research now just like i started in 2009-2010 :hungry:

zckid
02-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Congratulations on the opportunity!

I'd keep it simple since a lot of the information you know will be new to the audience. Go over the basics for exterior like,

The basics of washing and drying, share a few techniques

How to inspect the paint after it's washed and dried, visually and by feel int.

Share the Baggie Test

Definitely type up an outline and you might even consider typing up your outline as a Question and Answer format interview where you actually write the questions and the answers.

Then give the host the a copy and they ask you the questions then you simply answer them.

This way you have a course or path to follow you of course you can both "banter" back and forth outside of the script to give the interview a real folksy realism.

If you go with the question/answer format, one benefit is you can get a buddy to read through it and practice your answers. You can also time your session.

Tweak and improve, get it dialed-in beforehand and then you can get all your info out in smooth and controlled flow.

That's off the top of my head, I just arrived to work and read this post and wanted to answer it before I head out to the garage for a while for a project.

Again... congratulations and if it works for you, give yourself a plug with a way for people to contact you. Maybe share AutogeekOnline.net for people that want to learn to do it themselves.

Win/Win/Win

:dblthumb2:

Thanks a lot for the tips and quick reply Mike :dblthumb2:
so kind and so nice of you...

i went thru' many of your posts, just like i started back in 2009/2010.

I've devised a structure on how to get it going.
i'll update it once finished.

thanks again Mike

for all the autogeekers

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Uv99rNb8VPM/UwBqIhmq4bI/AAAAAAAADNE/S7atfsyicvg/s1600/036.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fgo5MrBdFa8/UwBpYSMVDmI/AAAAAAAADLk/EdP5GZ2-c14/s1600/047.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cg7a7Nb_nFM/UwBpfu5gzlI/AAAAAAAADL8/WHUSB1TwS_M/s1600/048.JPG

cheers :buffing: :dblthumb2:

mdgrwl
02-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Make it a conversation with the host. Interactive... instead of one person just speaking for 45 minutes.

Have him ask you SIMPLE questions about each process of wash, protect, maintain... and act like your speaking to 10 year olds as a lot of people wont get our language.