PDA

View Full Version : Fresh lacquer

goatman65
02-16-2014, 11:30 PM
In July of 2014 I painted my car with acrylic lacquer. It is dark Burgandy with a clearcoat,also lacquer. I colorsanded it with 3M 1000 then 1500. Next I used a rotary buffer and wool pad with 3M rubbing compound. I then finished with Meguiars 83 polish using a rotary and Megs yellow polishing pad.

It looked good but I could see some sand scratches,mainly near peaks and edges where I was afraid of cutting thru the paint. Now that the paint has had more time to dry I want to color sand it again with 2000 or 2500 then 3000. This is where I need suggestions.

I have bought a 2474xp to use along with my generic rotary. After sanding should I use a wool pad on the rotary with M105 then M205 with the 2474xp and a foam pad?

I like Meguiars products but will try others. I was thinking about using the CCS pads with the 2474 and 205.

So,what pads,sizes,polishes,compounds,towels.....?

I want the very best swirl-free,scratch-free shine that I can possibly achieve. I have read and re-read Mikes articles about restoring single stage paints and have been using Megs 7 since the 80s.