PDA

View Full Version : new to group

Pages : [1] 2

Tonya
07-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Hello all,
I wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the group trying to gain knowledge. I use to maintain my car, then got lazy and starting taking it to a detail shop. I just bought a new car and want to start detailing it myself. I will need a lot of knowledge from the group. I hope you are willing to share a great deal of knowledge. I have pitched almost all of my old products and I am trying to figure out exactly what I need. This has been a great educational site! However, now I am on information overload. Additionally, I am not very internet savy!! I was afraid I was going to have to ask my step son how to post.
Tonya

alban61
07-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Welcome to AGO! I know exactly what you mean about "information overload". Happened to me too, when I first joined. Soon it'll all fall into place. You have joined the nicest auto detailing Forum on the Web!

justin_murphy
07-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I would like to welcome you here. You will not find a better place nor better members on the Net!

Glad to have you.

Tonya
07-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks alban61!
I love all the information and video clips!
Tonya

sparkie
07-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Welcome to AGOL. I think you will find this is the best detailing site out there on the net...

Tonya
07-07-2007, 10:07 PM
How foolish would you have to be in order to harm the clear coat or paint with a Porter Cable 7424? I think it is called burning the clear coat.
Tonya

Reddwarf
07-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Welcome aboard. Be careful of the AG addiction. Many of us, including me, started out just like you. I was totally confused with all of the acronyms and different products. Slowly I started to acquire some different items and before long I became an AG addict. People make fun of my obsessive car detailing, yet admire my clean car at the same time!

This is a great forum and everyone is very nice and helpful. The customer service from AG is outstanding.

Post pictures of your new ride. Oh, and I like the monkey!

alban61
07-07-2007, 10:14 PM
With the PC7424 it's hard to burn the paint. I guess if you leave the PC in one spot, without moving it for awhile, it'll burn thru the clear. That's why it's safer to use than a rotary. The PC will take longer to work out the defects, but the trade-off is that it's almost idiot-proof.

sparkie
07-07-2007, 10:15 PM
This may help you...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/5706-product-abbreviation-chart-acronyms.html

6LS2
07-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey Tonya, welcome :) Let me be the first to help you with what you will need.

Wash - You will need a good wash mitt, along with good car soap and a good drying towel.

Car Wash: Autogeek has dozens of fine car wash shampoos- car wash soap (http://www.autogeek.net/washing.html)

The Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel by Cobra is a better drying towel than a chamois, or terry cloth towel. Microfiber makes the best (http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-waffle-weave.html)

Clay - Clay is used to remove contaminents from your paint that washing doesn't remove. Such as brake dust etc.

Detailing Clay Bars and Clay Bar Lubricants (http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html)

Now here comes the expensive part. Polishing by hand is okay if your swirls are minimal, but swirl removal by hand can only go to a certain extent. The PC7424 is an aswesome tool, and pretty much everyone on this forum will own one. Have a look at the PC packages here -

Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/po.html)

I suggest the XMT package, XMT polishes are awesome.

Wax - Different waxes give you different looks. It all depends on the colour of your car. But there are many great waxes out there such as Pinnacle Souveran, DP MaxWax.. Post a few pictures of your car ( try get some close ups of the paint ) and we'll help you out with which Wax will make your car look best :)

6LS2

Tonya
07-07-2007, 10:30 PM
OK - Thanks for the info everyone. I will get some pictures up soon! The color is called bright silver.
Tonya

pt91
07-07-2007, 10:41 PM
you are in luck. silver is the easiest color take care of.
welcome.
if you take the plunge for a polisher i recommend the UDM over the PC. It is just a few bucks more but is capable of more correction.

Tonya
07-07-2007, 10:41 PM
6ls2
Yep - I love the clips! However, I think that is when I hit information overload, white pad, gray pad, blue pad, orange pad. If I could move the computer to the garage and pause the video clip while working on the car, that would be perfect. I have been in e-mail contact with Dwayne at the store. I think he is going to give me some starter product recommendations soon.
Tonya

ltoman
07-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Hi Tonya!!!
Welcome! Nice to see another girl pn the forum - we don't have lots.
Your avatar is adorable, btw!!
And no worries about the pc and your paint. i barely tested it on one of our beaters before i stuck it right on my brand new vette!!!
TTYL!
You will love it here!!
~Lauren~
Chicks rule!! Hee hee

D
07-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Welcome! The kind of car you have and color are key to choosing the right products. Thats why detailers need to have such a wide variety of products on hand.

Looks like your color is silver. Very easy to take care of. But what kind of car is it?