PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - Quick Review

UglyBetty
02-15-2014, 09:30 PM
I'm new to coatings, this is the first one I've tried.

For a perspective, I did this to a 2 year old vehicle with a well maintained finish, and virtually no swirls marks.

Basic Process:
Chemical Guys Wash and Gloss @ 1 oz / gallon (or more) for wash to strip previous sealant/wax.
Nanoskin fine grade mitt using nanoskin glide lube at 10/1(not a fan of their glide lube, but the mitt is a great alternative to clay).
M205 on hood, before realizing it was unnecessary.
PBL surface Cleansing Polish, applied with a black LC flat pad, Flex PE-14.
PBL Diamond Paint Coating, using Lake Country coating applicator & car pro suede microfiber applicator.

Pros: PBL coating is super easy to use, even for a rookie. Looks great. Super slick, similar to WGDGPS.

Cons: PBL cleansing polish is a pain in the butt using a rotary, dries really fast, reducing speed to 2.5 helps. Easy to work with by hand however, which leads me to believe its probably better suited to a DA at moderate speeds. I stuck with the rotary, rather than grabbing the DA.

Tato
02-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Great review!

I've been using PBL Surface Coating for a while, if you take a look at my threads there may be 2 or 3 coatings applications following ~the line you've chose, W&G, clay mitt, however I do use the Mitt with soap for lube.

PBL Cleansing polish is somewhat tricky, you should treat it like a 'cleansing lotion' more then a 'polish'. Spread it and wipe off.

Avoid hitting the trim while applying by machine, I'm yet to know a product that will remove the marks it can leave on trim if accidentally hit. Better to tape, apply by hand or be veeery careful if using by machine. I apply with DA, indeed.

More than the 'beauty' of the coating applied, you'll like the easiness that washing will turn from now on.

I'm maintaing my coated DD for months with ~10 in 10 days foam and rinse then dry, but I'm drying with a spray wax. Car looks like recently coated every wash.

Also, I've managed to apply some 'toppers', like Souveran wax, some Meg's wax and some sealants, apart from toppers having slightly less durability (seems to 'wash away' faster than when bound to PAINT instead of coating), adding a top always increase beauty and makes protection 'interesting' during some weeks or months.

Hope you enjoy your recently coated vehicle. I like mine very much.

Kind Regards.

UglyBetty
02-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Forgot to add

I kinda prefer the car pro suede microfiber close over the LC applicator. The LC applicator is a little awkward with a small amount of pressure, inadvertent or not.

FUNX650
02-15-2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks for taking the time and effort in posting this
PBL-Paint Coating review!

The vehicle really does look slick...and reflective.
And your puppy dog seems to approve. :)

BTW:
This is the first review I know of where a rotary was used in the application of the PBL-Surface Cleansing Polish.
I appreciate your sharing the eccentricities in doing so.

Bob

02-15-2014, 11:35 PM
IME with the PBL cleansing polish, it seemed easier to remove when I applied with a polishing pad...

UglyBetty
02-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks for taking the time and effort in posting this
PBL-Paint Coating review!

The vehicle really does look slick...and reflective.
And your puppy dog seems to approve. :)

BTW:
This is the first review I know of where a rotary was used in the application of the PBL-Surface Cleansing Polish.
I appreciate your sharing the eccentricities in doing so.

Bob

Honestly, I think M105 at high speeds on a rotary lasts longer. I'm no expert, but it wasn't user friendly for me and my techniques. Temps were moderate, approx 50-60 degrees.

Pup likes the rolling doghouse shiny, although she's not terribly particular about it!

mg6045
02-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Great review!

I've been using PBL Surface Coating for a while, if you take a look at my threads there may be 2 or 3 coatings applications following ~the line you've chose, W&G, clay mitt, however I do use the Mitt with soap for lube.

PBL Cleansing polish is somewhat tricky, you should treat it like a 'cleansing lotion' more then a 'polish'. Spread it and wipe off.

Avoid hitting the trim while applying by machine, I'm yet to know a product that will remove the marks it can leave on trim if accidentally hit. Better to tape, apply by hand or be veeery careful if using by machine. I apply with DA, indeed.

More than the 'beauty' of the coating applied, you'll like the easiness that washing will turn from now on.

I'm maintaing my coated DD for months with ~10 in 10 days foam and rinse then dry, but I'm drying with a spray wax. Car looks like recently coated every wash.

Also, I've managed to apply some 'toppers', like Souveran wax, some Meg's wax and some sealants, apart from toppers having slightly less durability (seems to 'wash away' faster than when bound to PAINT instead of coating), adding a top always increase beauty and makes protection 'interesting' during some weeks or months.

Hope you enjoy your recently coated vehicle. I like mine very much.

Kind Regards.

regarding staining exterior trim, thats with the Cleansing polish ?

Tato
02-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Yep, at least in my experience with Cleansing Polish prior PBL Coating, if you hit the trim accidentally with polishing pad and Cleansing Polish, odds are you'll have a hard time removing the stain.

I believe this happens because the polish 'drys' really fast when in contact with trim, or become absorbed, it's true PITH (in the head) to remove.

Again, please, if someone find a good way to clean this stains, please, inform me.

I'll keep the same care, but will stop struggling to remove it's marks.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards.

mg6045
02-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Yep, at least in my experience with Cleansing Polish prior PBL Coating, if you hit the trim accidentally with polishing pad and Cleansing Polish, odds are you'll have a hard time removing the stain.

I believe this happens because the polish 'drys' really fast when in contact with trim, or become absorbed, it's true PITH (in the head) to remove.

Again, please, if someone find a good way to clean this stains, please, inform me.

I'll keep the same care, but will stop struggling to remove it's marks.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards.

well, thank you. I will be aware to avoid trim next time. Luckily my car has zero unpainted plastic or rubber trim besides on the rear valance. :)

Tato
02-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Sure, you better take care.

Unfortunately, I've learned this the worst way...

Count on me if needed,

Kind Regards.

BrutalNoodle
02-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Thank you Uglybetty for sharing your experiencing with us. I really appreciate these threads as I'm about to dive into coating for the first time. This is the first time time I've read of someone using a rotary within the process...haha.

Another thank you goes out to Tato for the heads up regarding staining of trims. I'm taking mental notes should I go with PBL, but I think it's going to be either DP or Migliore for me. What can I say, I'm a big chicken.

UglyBetty
02-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Great review!

your recently coated vehicle. I like mine very much.

Kind Regards.

Tato,

Do you just use a standard dilution of wash soap with the Nano, or do use more soap than typical?

Also, with the PBL cleansing lotion, I learned that lesson the hard way, so everyone doesn't need to! (Ha!). I started with the PE-14 and the M205, honestly didn't dawn on me to switch to the DA for the PBLCL until after I was done and had time to reflect. I had it in my head that it was similar to a finishing polish.

Tato
02-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Thank you for comments.

I swear I was tempted to switch to an IPA wipe instead of cleansing polish the day I've hit trim by accident, but 'staining apart', PBL Cleansing Polish cleans really, really well, clearly. It's just a bit tricky to get used to.

For Glass Coating at least it's 'a must'. I do Pinnacle Glasswork WaterSpot Remover Followed by Cleansing Polish to achieve the clearest and cleanest glass one can get.

For wheels, don't need that much Cleansing Polish because generally I do 'heavy' cleaners on wheels, that keep them 'naked' clean for coating to adhere.

@UglyBetty, I use standard dilution or slightly less, based on fact I could use NanoSkin even with water (not optimum but can be done).

I first wash thoroughly (with a different wash mitt), rinse, then 'foam again and clay mitt down'.

I recommend you to 'play around' with some dilutions (starting from conventional), and some different soaps. Whenever I can I use wash&wax from CG because of it's great cleaning power and slickness, it's cheap and a little goes looong way.

Here on this 2013 GM Cruze I talk a bit about soap and Nanoskin in a answer at first page of thread, hope that can clear things a bit. Fact is you can choose the best soap that suits what you'll be doing, and doing next.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/75602-2013-chevrolet-cruze-meets-uber-compound.html

Notice: All my methods are what work for me, please, keep them only as suggestions to improve one or another aspect from what's working for you, not as 'the right way to do this or that'.

@BrutalNoodle, if you are considering coatings, you should definitively try Pinnacle Coatings. They are very easy to apply and maintain. At first, all this discussion seems like 'rocket science', but that's because many words have to be written to give a meaning to the action.

In abstract, you'll be spraying, spreading, and smiling.

You'll be proud of your coating every week or two you wash/clean your car.

I apply whenever I can on clients car, but the first one I've coated was my DD. It's a beautiful invention, you can top it with whatever you want, and when your 'topper wash away' you go back seeing 'insane beading' and thinks 'oh well, wax washed away, we're back to coating'.

That's awesome because in many cases a wax wash away, uncoated cars go back to 'unprotected' paint condition, which accelerates the damage and harm from elements.

If you need help or have any question regarding PBL coating, please, count on me. If you decide for another, please, share your experience for us to learn.

Kind Regards.

BrutalNoodle
02-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Thank you very much for all of your suggestions and offer, Tato.

This is why AGO is one of my favorite forums (top 5) on the net. You, sir, are a gentleman. Skillful & super cool to boot. :props: