PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Cars - First Purchase

tobynash
02-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Hey all,

I've got a 2014 Jeep GC and 2014 Acura MDX sitting in the driveway that are 1 week old. I know I need to clay and get a wax/sealant on them, but I am overwhelmed by the choices and the more threads I read the more confused I get about what to buy. Both vehicles are dark grey. Since the wife won't let me make a purchase unless I commit to taking care of her MDX also, I'd like to stay away from having to go through numerous steps. I was a zaino user about 15 years ago.

I've got the buckets, sponges and MF towels, but if anyone could post a list of the products I should buy to get going on getting these new toys protected I would really appreciate it!

:xyxthumbs:

davey g-force
02-14-2014, 08:28 PM
You'll probably get 100 different opinions, which will still overwhelm you.

I reckon just get the Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit, and Ultimate Wax for now, and go from there...

Bill1234
02-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Hey all,

I've got a 2014 Jeep GC and 2014 Acura MDX sitting in the driveway that are 1 week old. I know I need to clay and get a wax/sealant on them, but I am overwhelmed by the choices and the more threads I read the more confused I get about what to buy. Both vehicles are dark grey. Since the wife won't let me make a purchase unless I commit to taking care of her MDX also, I'd like to stay away from having to go through numerous steps. I was a zaino user about 15 years ago.

I've got the buckets, sponges and MF towels, but if anyone could post a list of the products I should buy to get going on getting these new toys protected I would really appreciate it!

you said, sponges, most sponges you get are a bad idea as they just throw dirt all over the car. Buy a good quality microfiber wash mitt
Do your buckets have grit guards?-they are a must

Ill give your my product choice
wax-collinite 476
clay -meguiars or mothers
wash-meguiars gold class
tire shine -optimum opti bond
interior stain remover-folex
wheel cleaner-meguiars d143 or zep citrus apc

BillyJack
02-14-2014, 09:26 PM
you said, sponges, most sponges you get are a bad idea as they just throw dirt all over the car. Buy a good quality microfiber wash mitt

wax-collinite 476
wash-meguiars gold class

Good information here.
If you haven't tried it yet, give rinseless washing a try. The ease and convenience leads you to do more regular washing than having to get out the hose every time. My favorites are Duragloss and Optimum No-Rinse with Wax. Pick up a bottle of Duragloss Aquawax also, use it from time to time as a drying aid and it will preserve the longevity of that Collinite seemingly forever.

Bill

tobynash
02-14-2014, 09:41 PM

wax-collinite 476
wash-meguiars gold class

Thanks, I do have a mf wash mitt and the grit guards. I've got a porter cable that is 5 years old that I only used a couple of times. Can I put the collinite on by hand?

Bill1234
02-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I do have a mf wash mitt and the grit guards. I've got a porter cable that is 5 years old that I only used a couple of times. Can I put the collinite on by hand?

yes, however make sure to clay first

Rayaz
02-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Take a look at the Lake Country Wash Wedge. I've been using one for about 2 months and I really like it. Rinses clean easily, hold a ton of soapy water and is easy to hang on to. I like foam because it releases dirt better in my humble opinion. Microfiber is machine washable but it didn't appear to release dirt in the rinse bucket very well.

Docpeanut
02-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Side note, jeep gc is awesome. Got one back in July, it laughed at 2 feet of snow, went through it like a hot knife through butter

mwoolfso
02-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Hey all,

There shouldn't be too much crud on them so there's a plus. I don't know what sponges you purchased but a microfiber or wool wash mitts may be safer; Acura's tend to have soft paint and my first thought is a sponge will introduce swirls.

My PREP suggestions if you have a DA polisher:

Clay --> Nanoskin AutoScrub Pad
Decontaminate --> IronX Iron remover (yes, you will be surprised at what comes off even though they are new)
AIO Polish --> Menzerna SF4000 (should get the vehicle LSP-ready with ease)

My PREP suggestions if you do not have a DA polisher:

Clay --> Optimum Opti-Eraser or Riccardo Clay
Decontaminate --> IronX Iron remover
Cleaner --> Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer or Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing lotion (they are not the same but either will suffice)

WAX Suggestions

There are a few suggestions here I have for you.

1. If you don't mind rewaxing every few months then any of the boutique waxes or OTC retail products will do fine (too many to list). Generally speaking I combine these products with #5 below
2. For longevity and gloss Collinite 476 topped with Collinite 915 or 845 will work. Your PREP work will be protected for upwards of 12 mos mainly due to 476. I use these combos and can vouch for them personally
3. I fell in love with Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid in late 2013. I got it in a trade with a fellow AGO team member and even after a harsh winter I am going on 4 months and it is still present on my VW; simply an amazing product.
4. For extreme longevity a coating will be where you need to head. GTechnic, Carpro, Optimum - pick your poison. Just be aware that if you do go with a coating the PREP work become much more specific and the products I listed above should probably change.
5. If you want speed and a balance of longevity and gloss then Optimum Car Wax fits the bill here. I use this product as a standalone LSP and a topper. Either way, I can get up to 5 months without a re-application. Since it is so quick, re-application after a wash in months 2,3 or 4 is not unheard of either.

tobynash
02-15-2014, 10:27 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions. I really appreciate it!

ScottB
02-15-2014, 12:38 PM
Consider a coating like Pinnacle

slimnib
02-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Side note, jeep gc is awesome. Got one back in July, it laughed at 2 feet of snow, went through it like a hot knife through butter

Do you have snow tires?

mg6045
02-15-2014, 02:25 PM
the cool thing about Autogeek's in house brands (Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Blackfire) is that you can pick one of them and buy the entire interior and exterior kit and get great results with zero confusion.

for a first time buyer I think its a mistake to jump all over the place brandwise and get products that either overlap or dont work very well together.

A brand like Blackfire has everything you will need all with the same label to detail your car. I highly suggest you give that a shot. Then after you get familiar with how the process works, then venture outside of one brand.

hope that helps.

also, each one of the brands I mentioned above have a complete how to DVD on the entire process. You really cant go wrong. It worked wonders for my dad who never ever did a thing related to detailing. Now I have him polishing his car with a DA and applying paint sealants and cleaning interior windows like a professional !

I cant tell you how many times I see this ,

what do you think of this process guys, I just purchased all of these products and want to make sure I have the order correct,

wash
clay
ironx
wash
glaze
polish
sealant
compound
wash
clay
tarx
sealant
coating
wax
opti-coat
glaze

in that order. sounds like a great idea, right ?

Docpeanut
02-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Do you have snow tires?

Absolutely, that's what made it possible.

The Guz
02-15-2014, 11:29 PM
I would go ahead and pick up either the meguiars ultimate trio (compound, polish and wax) or the Wolfgang four. If you want something more permanent the I would look into a coating like black label or DP.