PDA

View Full Version : Are some products labeled as a "Glaze" just a polish?

Pages : [1] 2

AuroraDetailing
02-14-2014, 02:12 AM
I have been looking through the forum, and recently read up what a glaze actually was, and the explanation I saw was that it is NOT a polish and has fillers to make a smoother surface. So I was interested in trying some out (I have been detailing for a few years but have only dealt with compounds, polishes, waxes, and sealants) and I'm a huge fan of WGDGS 3.0, and looked at their glaze, but it says it has no fillers. So what does it actually do that a polish wouldn't? I'm guessing since a polish is removed completely after use, the glaze leaves a layer that can be waxed or sealed over? I currently use CG V38 as my everyday polish step and I do production detailing for the most part.

hernandez.art13
02-14-2014, 02:36 AM
From my understanding there are no rules or regulations when companies in the detailing industry name there products or what they can or can't do. For the most part...

So a glaze in company A does certain things and contains certain ingredients and glaze in company B can be something completely different.

I could be wrong though...

AuroraDetailing
02-14-2014, 02:58 AM
Yeah, that's what I was wanting to find out. Just as there is a defined difference between a wax and a sealant (even though there are hybrids), I was wondering if a glaze is always a glaze by definition, even though some of the descriptions of them don't seem any different than a polish. I have plenty of polish left that I am perfectly happy with (V38, M205), so not interested in buying a product that is just going to do the same thing, but if it has something different to offer, I'd be willing to try it out. I'm kind of specifically talking about the Wolfgang glaze in this case.

FUNX650
02-14-2014, 03:47 AM
I realize you said that you've been reading about glazes...
But this is an excellent article to read/re-read, time and time again, whenever the question of car-care products' definitions arises:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/39020-word-definitions-compounds-polishes-glazes-paint-cleaners-waxes.html

The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze's product description says that it contains ultra fine diminishing abrasives that gently polishes the paint to a brilliant gloss.

Using the above Mike Phillips' article as a guide:
This Wolfgang product would appear to fit into the Ultrafine Polish category.

The key words here are: guide, would, appear.

Bob

hernandez.art13
02-14-2014, 04:23 AM
"Ultra Fine Cut Polish
A liquid or paste that uses some type of abrasive technology to cut or abrade the paint but is less aggressive than a true fine polish. Depending upon the abrasive technology and the application method and material, some ultra fine polishes can remove down to #2500 grit sanding marks while still finishing out LSP ready. Topcoat hardness is an important factor that affects an ultra fine polish's effectiveness at removing below surface defects.

Most ultra fine polishes are dedicated products in that their function is primarily to abrade the paint. For this reason, after the ultra fine polishing step at a minimum, the paint should be sealed with a wax, paint sealant or coating."

"Non-Abrasive Glaze or Pure Polish
Historically, the term glaze is used to describe a bodyshop safe, hand-applied liquid used to fill-in and mask fine swirls while creating a deep, wet shine on fresh paint. It's a category of products used on fresh paint in body shop environments, which will not seal the paint surface by depositing a long lasting sacrificial barrier coating using some type of protection ingredients.

A bodyshop safe glaze is used in place of a wax, sealant or coating because it won't interfere with the normal out-gassing process of fresh paint for the first 30 days of curing. The function of a bodyshop glaze is to hide rotary buffer swirls while giving the paint a uniform, just waxed appearance to ensure customer satisfaction. After 30 days cure time its normal to the seal the paint using a wax, paint sealant or coating."

So... Wolfgang Glaze has fine cut that removes #2500 grit. But is also called a glaze. So in a sense it's not a pure polish. Since it does have abrasives...?

"Maximum gloss enhancement for all types of paint.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 by Menzerna is a special gloss enhancing glaze and finishing polish that restores the maximum shine to automotive paint after compounding. Use Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 on dull paint to revive the deep color and intense shine. Your detail isn’t finished until you use Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 is a fusion of our original Finishing Glaze formula and Menzerna’s Nano Polish. Menzerna developed this hybrid formula exclusively for Wolfgang The goal was to create a finishing polish with more correction ability, without sacrificing shine. That’s what we have with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0. This unique formula blends away 2500 grit sanding marks yet finishes with the gloss and slickness of a fine machine glaze."

Here is some of the Menzerna Nano Polish

"Menzerna Nano Polish utilizes a new family of abrasives developed by Menzerna to level imperfections and restore a mirror-like gloss to ceramic clear coats as well as conventional clear coats. The abrasives are milled to fine powder that burnishes the paint to a mirror-like shine without introducing swirls or micro-marring.

Nano Polish is capable of removing 2500 grit sanding scratches, haze from compounding, light swirls, and mild oxidation while restoring a glassy, smooth shine."

So they can both remove #2500 grit.

I wonder if Menzerna Nano Polish Or Wolfang Finishing Glaze would be a better choice then Menzerna SF 4500 for jeweling?

hernandez.art13
02-14-2014, 04:29 AM
So Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 blends #2500 grit

and

Menzerna Nano Polish is capable of removing #2500 grit sanding scratches.

I wonder if there is a difference from the use of the different wording?

I'll just order both and enjoy both products :D

hernandez.art13
02-14-2014, 04:36 AM
When I read glaze on the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze I assumed it was like Meguiar's #7 with zero abrading ability. But since it can remove #2500 I might get it for "jeweling" since it seems to cut really fine.

I wonder how Wolfgang Glaze would work prior to Opti Coating a car's paint? Hopefully some APC in the wash and an IPA wipe down can clean the surface good enough to apply opti coat.

I am now interested in this product too :)

HateSwirls
02-14-2014, 07:03 AM
I look at a glaze like a woman looks at the makeup they use each day.
Weird I know. Lol

Anyway I use Chemical Guys EZ Cream Glaze, like a makeup it helps hide imperfections, gives me a great shine and it has some protection but not enough to discuss but it maintains the shine and smoothness of my paint.
It's short lived but not a problem for me being I use it often, never have to worry about wax build up that can cause hazing if used too often but not with the EZ.
It contains no wax but is acrylic based.
Easy on and off.

Mike Phillips
02-14-2014, 07:44 AM
From my understanding there are no rules or regulations when companies in the detailing industry name there products or what they can or can't do. For the most part...

So a glaze in company A does certain things and contains certain ingredients and glaze in company B can be something completely different.

I could be wrong though...

Nope.... you're absolutely correct.

Here's what I do... I judge or determine what a product is by what it does, not the name on the label.

The good news is while the naming of products causes a lot of confusion in the world discussion forums like AGO are here to help reduce and remove the confusion.

:)

Mike Phillips
02-14-2014, 07:58 AM
So what does it actually do that a polish wouldn't?

It would do what a polish will do as it is a fine cut to ultra fine cut polish.

I'm guessing since a polish is removed completely after use, the glaze leaves a layer that can be waxed or sealed over?

Kind of... any quality polish that I've ever used as some type of oil in it to lubricate the surface as the abrasives abrade it. Remove the lubricating oils and increase the chance for scouring.

This can be a big can of worms because there's a real AR segment of the detailing world that have a fear of fillers while forgetting the entire reason "we" are all polishing paint is to make the paint look good.

The polishing oils or lubricating oils in a compound or polish help us by lubricating the surface. Remove them and it's going to be hard to make the paint look good.

The issue then is that polishing oils can also act like fillers in that they can coat over and mask imperfections. So don't get all hung up on fillers because sometimes the fillers are the polishing oils and you want and need these in paint care products.

In the historic sense and use of the word glaze we're talking about a product that is primarily some type of oil with no abrasives or cleaners.

Here's an article I wrote on a true glaze...

Body Shop Safe Glaze on Fresh Paint - #7 Show Car Glaze (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28659-body-shop-safe-glaze-fresh-paint-7-show-car-glaze.html)

Here's some related articles that also talk about the topic of glazes...

Don't wax your car for at least 30 days! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/26967-don-t-wax-your-car-least-30-days.html)

Fresh Paint - But you can touch it... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/28717-fresh-paint-but-you-can-touch.html)

I currently use CG V38 as my everyday polish step and I do production detailing for the most part.

I rarely use a true glaze unless I'm restoring antique paint or working on brand new, that is less than 30 days old paint.

If you're doing production work you want to have a couple of good cleaner/waxes in your arsenal and one or two medium cut to fine cut polishes.

Radarryan
02-14-2014, 07:59 AM
When I read glaze on the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze I assumed it was like Meguiar's #7 with zero abrading ability. But since it can remove #2500 I might get it for "jeweling" since it seems to cut really fine.

I wonder how Wolfgang Glaze would work prior to Opti Coating a car's paint? Hopefully some APC in the wash and an IPA wipe down can clean the surface good enough to apply opti coat.

I am now interested in this product too :)

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is (or at least is based on) Menzerna SF4000. Wolfgang polishes are developed with Menzerna, so I don't know if I would purchase both, since they are pretty much the same thing.

If you want to be jeweling, Menzerna SF4500 would be more along those lines, as an ultra fine finishing polish. There is no reason why you couldn't with SF4000, but usually you want the least amount of cut when burnishing.

Regarding using it prior to Opti-Coat: there is no reason why you couldn't but I will add this: I remember Swanic saying that it is very, very oily, which can interfere with Opti-Coat bonding. He said that when he used it prior to applying Opti-Coat he experienced failure, even with decontamination with IPA (or the like, such as Eraser). If you plan on using it, just keep that in mind. If it were me, I would probably wash the car after polishing and use IPA/Eraser to ensure the surface was perfectly clean for Opti-Coat to bond.

Quick note: Meguiar's #07 is really designed for single stage paint. I don't know how much of a benefit you'll see on modern clear coat systems. If you do see a filling ability, it would probably be short lived and wash off fairly soon. While this is true of all glazes, you may see better results using a glaze that is designed for modern paint and can sit under a sealant and/or wax to provide the ultimate look (that is, of course, so long as you're not coating the car.)

Hope this helps. Happy detailing!

Mike Phillips
02-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Just to answer the question that is also the "title" of this thread...

Are some products labeled as a "Glaze" just a polish?

Yes.

A lot of products with the name glaze are both polishes, (product with some type of abrasive technology intended to remove below surface defects), and/or some type of car wax or synthetic paint sealant.

An example that comes to mind is Zaino Z2 Polish which isn't really a polish but a non-cleaning, synthetic paint sealant.

"Determine what a product is not the name on the label but by what it does when put to work"

AuroraDetailing
02-15-2014, 12:11 AM
Thanks for all the info. I guess I'll stick with my polishes until I run out before trying a new one.

PiPUK
02-15-2014, 02:13 PM
There are also those glazes which are actually closer to what most people consider to be a sealant.

It is good that Mike has pointed out the oils in these products. There are in fact some oil free formulations out there but I doubt many of the well known products fall into that category. Almost all products will have these and they will be slow evaporating oils (otherwise they would evaporate away too fast to let you work the product). In my experience, these can last many hours and even days. I suspect that this is something that fools a lot of people into thinking that their paintwork beads like a freshly applied sealant just because it is clean. I suspect that, much of the time, the people commenting on this are seeing water beading on top of the oil residue, not the paint itself. Often you find that paint cleaners will be as bad (which people will use after a polish and think the paint is spotless).

shagnat
02-17-2014, 06:00 AM
This thread just verifies how confusing it is trying to determine which product does what........ I understand most of it is marketing, but, at least market in a way that the consumer can understand what they're buying.