PDA

View Full Version : Why do we obsess over LSP??

Pages : [1] 2 3

mdgrwl
02-12-2014, 09:46 PM
We all know 95% of the finish is all in the prep work, yet we still obsess.

After a few weeks and a few washes, any notable differences are gone, yet we still want to buy and try new ones.

We cant go more than a few months before we strip our paint and re-apply a LSP, yet we hunt for durability.

In a double blind test, we probably couldnt tell the difference between Collinite 915 and Swissvax, yet we are tantalized by high end and high dollar waxes.

I have a theory and I think its this:
We put SO much hard effort into our prep (2 bucket was, clay, 2 step polishing or even 3 steps, glaze, etc, etc...), that we want to lock in or top off all that work with something "special". Its almost like choosing what stamp if approval on our own work we want to use...

FUNX650
02-12-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm so glad that none of this obsessive nonsense is applicable to me!

Bob

swanicyouth
02-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Some LSPs just give you a subjective enjoyment applying them, like "I know this is going to look good". But, after buying 30 LSPs or so, I think I'm done. Only one I still will buy is Black Ice - but that may not be for a while. I have enough wax so that my grand kids' grand kids could wax their cars for life.

Pureshine
02-12-2014, 10:19 PM
This is why I don't use wax anymore really unless its a show car or a garage queen. Sealants give a great shine and last much longer.

CM8 6MT
02-12-2014, 10:31 PM

Bob

Same here. I recently aquired Zymol Concours. At around $175, its not as expensive as other over priced high content carnuba waxes.

So why buy it? When I can pick up a cheap wax from AG and look the same? Its called perspective. Being a pro detailer on the side, ive found that a small percentage of my customers want a "high end" wax. If their willing to pay for it, im not one to convince them that a 20 dollar wax will look the same on a highly polished panel. Although they do give you that deep glossy look much much longer than standard waxes, their not something I would apply on a DD, thats just dumb IMO.

jamesboyy
02-12-2014, 10:32 PM
There will never be a direct answer as to why we buy so many or obsess over the latest waxes we just does it's like breathing, and yeah you may can't tell the difference, and it may last a few month's, etc but it gives us a piece of mind, it settle that craving it help's us relax at the end of the day knowing we gave our car's another wax, and call me crazy but it's just one of the many phases of begin obsessed with auto detailing.

Docpeanut
02-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Why do we obsess? Because we can

Just02896
02-12-2014, 10:40 PM
This is why I don't use wax anymore really unless its a show car or a garage queen. Sealants give a great shine and last much longer.

Nah, Pledge is where it's at! :dblthumb2:

:haha: JK!

BrutalNoodle
02-12-2014, 10:54 PM
I've always been a "budget" hobbyist, that's why none of my chemicals are high-end stuff.

For me - looks first, above all else. Every time I hunt for something, it would mostly be because it shines brighter and/or longer via experiences & suggestions from others

Most of the products I've sampled so far last but a few days because it dulled up, and so the hunt for a lasting shine continues. The best combination so far has been 4*UPP with D156/M135/UWW+(double dosage detail strength) for upkeep.

I'm looking to dive into the Migliore line next - the Strata to be specific. Not out of "prestigiousness." Simply because it looks to be dummy proof with outstanding results.

mdgrwl
02-12-2014, 11:22 PM
I think its like clothes. Clothes main purpose is to protect us and keep us warm. But we wouldnt wear the same standard clothes everyday. Sometimes we want to put on a suit and tie... sometimes we want to look and feel special.

So while jeans and a sweater have there place, a stylish suit is just desirable.

Znig22
02-12-2014, 11:25 PM
I can sleep at night knowing my car has a fresh coat of sealant or coating.

doogeem3
02-12-2014, 11:26 PM
The only excuse I can think of for using an expensive "high end" wax would be to make a customer feel that little bit extra special knowing they have a product on their car that isn't $10 off the shelf at Autozone.

Definitely helps provide a professional image.

Other than that, I'll stick to cheap Collinite on my cars :)

WRAPT C5Z06
02-13-2014, 12:05 AM

Bob
Never agreed so much in my life!! I use what is the most durable, END OF STORY!!

This wax looks better than that wax.....blah, blah, blah. :rolleyes:

CM8 6MT
02-13-2014, 12:28 AM
Never agreed so much in my life!! I use what is the most durable, END OF STORY!!

This wax looks better than that wax.....blah, blah, blah. :rolleyes:

Mark any LSP you have cant hang with my fresh coat of Pledge. The shine looks deep for miles. Its so slick, so wet. It buffs off so easy. It smells amazing too.

hernandez.art13
02-13-2014, 01:35 AM
I have Menzerna PL, Menzerna CL and Collinite 476s. I use Menzerna PL for customer cars.

Actually Collinite 476s while good, it's harder to work with the PL. So it's just sitting there.

I also have Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax that I use for wheels. Other than that I don't really pursue to many waxes.

My car is Opti Coated and I am glad that I made the decision to coat it.

Oh and I have Optimum Spray Wax too :laughing: