PDA

View Full Version : DA Polisher to remove stainless steel scratches?

dbizzle22
02-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Looking at a used exhaust system for my car and wondering if a DA plus any type of pad/polish would be able to work these out or at least hide them to some degree:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn89/dbong1021/MufflerScratch_zps9e04d2c8.jpg

Seller says some of them can be felt using fingernail.

Any suggestions or ideas?

tuscarora dave
02-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Nothing short of sanding with multiple grits then using heavy cutting compound on a high speed wheel is going to remove those scratches. Wouldn't be worth it unless you had lots and lots of time to kill.

dbizzle22
02-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Nothing short of sanding with multiple grits then using heavy cutting compound on a high speed wheel is going to remove those scratches. Wouldn't be worth it unless you had lots and lots of time to kill.

Ugh. Ok.

If I were to give it a shot just to remove the lighter scratches easily, what would I use?

FUNX650
02-12-2014, 03:19 PM
I personally want as much (thickness) of the metal-walls as possible on my mufflers.

Think how much metal surrounding the scratches, that has to be removed, in order to reduce the appearance of those scratches.

Even though you'll know the scratches are there...
Whomever else gets close enough to see them:
(I believe you know the rest of the program)

Bob

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Looking at the tip and curve, it almost looks like the muffler would be hidden by the rear valence. I would personally focus on the tip. I have always had good luck with Never Dull and Mothers Polish with Powerball.

57BORNTORUN
02-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Different grits depending on how deep the scratches.Start high 600-800 then on to a bench polisher with spiral sewn wheel with black or green rouge at 2400-3600 RPM.Before investing all that money just pay a shop $30.00 that has all the equipment.

AuroraDetailing
02-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Definitely pay someone to do it. It'll be cheaper than buying the required stuff. I used to fabricate stainless steel handrails and had to make the welds disappear, and for the polished stuff I had to go through about 4 stages of trizac bands with a tube polisher, then 3 stages of compounding with three different wheels on a barrel grinder, and they are solid compounds, not liquid. It's definitely not hard to do, just requires the right materials and aren't cheap.

dbizzle22
02-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Is there a protective product that can be applied to stainless or mild steel exhaust metal? Looking for something that will aid in rust or dirt in general.