PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys White Diamond Show Glaze?

ihadmail
02-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Hey there everyone!

I recently purchased a silver 2009 Cadillac CTS-V that has some very very light swirl marks. I plan to do a paint correction with my PC and some LC CCS pads. I cannot get the swirl marks to show up in a photo due to my lack of a good camera. They are enough that I notice them in sunlight and under very bright lights at night, but I only barely notice the swirls under most viewing angles.

After the paint is corrected I will be doing the Blackfire Wet Ice over Fire combination.

Will I notice a visual difference if I take the time to apply some Poorboys White Diamond Show Glaze before the Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant? If so will it just look deeper? Wetter? Will the glaze affect the durability of the sealant?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

EDIT: I already have everything that I plan to use, with the exception of the glaze.

tuscarora dave
02-12-2014, 01:58 PM
The glaze works great for a quick "day of the show" prep, however it's probably not a good idea to apply it just before aplying a sealant because the sealant won't bond if the glaze is there in between the paint and sealant. I'd recommend just working a finishing polish instead.

GenesisCoupe
02-12-2014, 02:41 PM
The Poorboys White Diamond is a great product. Gotta work it in nicely and it will make that silver pop. It is one of my favorite products for light colored cars.

Yes apply the Poorboy's, buff it off with a microfiber towel, and top that with the BFWD sealant. It should make the Poorboy's glaze last longer.

aim4squirrels
02-12-2014, 02:42 PM
IIRC, the poorboys glazes have a healthy amount of fillers to fill in small scratches and swirls.

Those products are designed to be laid under a wax or sealant, as they typically don't have much in the way of durability when used as an LSP.

If your car is swirl free and looking great, a glaze might add a bit of gloss the overall look, but the LSP you choose to finish with could alter those characteristics. I this scenario, I look to the chosen LSP to give me the look I'm after.

ihadmail
02-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all of the replies! I had planned to get all of the swirls out by polishing prior to using the glaze. I was more hoping that the glaze would give the paint a deeper, more reflective finish than just the sealant.

Since I forgot to add some 1Z Gummi to my last order I may go ahead and get it and the glaze. I can always do a test section with the glaze and without the glaze to see which I like best on this car.

van185
02-12-2014, 03:00 PM
I think that you will like the looks better if you apply the Poorboys under whatever sealant or wax your going to use. Like mentioned in an earlier post the glaze will enhance the looks of the paint but they do not provide much protection at all so you will need to top it with something. Poorboys has really great products.

ihadmail
02-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Also I understand that the glaze itself provides nearly no protection and has almost no resistance to being removed by rain/washing without being topped by a wax or sealant.

My concern was the glaze reducing the lasting effects of the sealant.

van185
02-12-2014, 04:18 PM
It should not effect the lasting effects of the sealant at all. I have used glaze under applications of sealants and waxes both. Poorboys glaze will actually feel in some small scratches and swirls. I normally wait about 30 minutes after taking a glaze off to apply the sealant or wax. It may not make a difference but I usually wait anyway. It makes me feel better. If your still worried about it then send Pockets a PM on here or go to Poorboys web site and post Pockets a question about it on their forum. He is a great guy and can tell you anything you need to know about the Poorboys ine of products.

Desertnate
02-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Also I understand that the glaze itself provides nearly no protection and has almost no resistance to being removed by rain/washing without being topped by a wax or sealant.

My concern was the glaze reducing the lasting effects of the sealant.

Right now I'm running Poorboy's Black Hole under Collinite 845 and it still repels water like it was freshly applied...3.5 months, 4 touchless carwashes, and countless ammounts of snow/rain/salt later. I'm not worried about it shortening the lifespan.

The formulation of the White Diamond should be very similar to Black Hole, so I wouldn't worry about any durability.

If you want to darken the silver up a little bit, you might try Black Hole instead of the White Diamond.

ihadmail
02-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks again for all of the tips.

As far as wait times, they don't really matter to me. I drive the car more than my truck just because it gets better mpg, but I do have the truck to drive if it ends up taking a couple of days to finish. I also have a large shop that I can keep the car in.

I just ordered the glaze. If it doesn't turn out quite like I want it to I might give that Black Hole a shot next time around.

van185
02-12-2014, 05:42 PM
You will not be disappointed with either. I normally top either one with Nattys wax. It goes on easy and last really well. A great wax. Not as expensive as some but just as good.