PDA

View Full Version : Q @ A with John Hayden from PERMANON

Nick McKees37
02-11-2014, 03:07 PM
http://autogeekonline.net/nick/Winter%202014/permanon%20coatings.jpg (http://www.autogeek.net/permanon-coatings.html)

I got to talking with John Hayden from Permanon USA and he was telling me about an exciting new product (stay tuned!). While on the phone with John, he gave me a little history about the line and its origins. I grabbed a pen and paper and started jotting down notes to do a Permanon Q/A for the forum. Enjoy

For those of you that aren't familiar with Permanon......

Permanon is a German manufacturer of state-of-the-art nano coatings for automotive, marine, aeronautical and industrial applications. Permanon coatings are applied unlike any other wax or sealant; they simply spray on and rinse off. Permanon coatings don’t require any buffing or polishing and they last months instead of weeks.

Permanon coatings utilize waterborne nano-engineered particles of Silicium (14Si) that form an electrostatic bond with the surface being protected. Permanon is the pioneer of such advanced Silicium (14Si) technology and for that reason Permanon coatings will outlast conventional wax and oil-based surface care protection products. What’s more, Permamon coatings are manufactured strictly as concentrates so instead of paying for products that are already watered down and in a ready-to-use state, you’re getting pure protection that you dilute accordingly for each application.

Nick: What's your role at the company?
John: I am the president of US operations, and I am constantly looking for new ways to help my customers succeed.

Nick: What was Permanon's first surface care enhancement product?
John: Car Supershine

Nick: Of all the Permanon products carried by Autogeek, which one is the most popular?
John: Permanon Platinum-hands down.

Nick: Are future Permanon products influenced at all by customer feedback?
John: Absolutely! That is how Supermatte came to be. The 2011 SEMA show debuted tons of matte wraps, matte paint and matte finished accessories. There was no way to protect matte surfaces using wax or paint polishes so the German scientists in Der Black Forest went down to the laboratory and came back up with Supermatte. We are also looking at a new ready to use product based on customer requests for a product that does not require mixing.

Nick: What kind of testing procedure do Permanon products go through before getting approved for production?
John: Permanon products undergo rigorous industry specific chemical standard tests for each industry they are used in.

Nick: If you could summarize Permanon Platinum with 3 words, what would they be?
John: The FASTEST WAY to SHINE

Nick: What was the first car care product you ever used - by any manufacturer?
John: Simonize paste wax, in the ‘60’s on a ’63 Oldsmobile 88.

Nick: What was the inspiration for the name "Platinum?"
John: Platinum was chosen as the name to represent a new product with technology taken from our most popular and durable product platforms-Marine and Aviation. As it represented our best and strongest technologies the name Platinum seemed the most appropriate.

Nick: Could you briefly describe the key differences between Platinum, Diamond, and Supershine?
John: Diamond leaves a natural feel to a surface, Platinum leaves a silky smooth feel and Supershine is the family name of all Permanon products except Diamond and Matte.

Nick: What is your favorite Permanon product, and why?
John: I have two favorites because I use Permanon on about everything I own. Platinum- for my car, I drive a lot and appreciate the enhanced durability. Diamond-for the car interior, it gives a nice factory look to the instrument cluster and interior windows without a schmaltzy heavy shine. I also use Diamond on all my kitchen appliances and windows. Talk about clarity-I had to move a bird feeder cause birds could not see the windows and kept crashing into them.

Nick: PS Universal Cleaning Paste has always interested me...it's such an unusual product - how did it come about?
John: Customers, especially in the Marine industry, wanted a product that could clean stubborn organic stains on sensitive and high value surfaces without using a lot of water.

Nick: What's the advantage of Permanon coatings over conventional paste waxes and liquid sealants?
John: The fastest way to shine. You treat the entire car not just the paint. I did a UPS delivery van in 7 minutes.

Nick: What's the most unsual application of a Permanon product that you know of (example: Space Shuttle)
John: The inventor and International sales Manager use it on their teeth after brushing. We also use it in Healthcare environments to keep germs and viruses from re-emerging on hard surfaces after cleaning.

Nick: I have to know...what kind of vehicle does John Hayden drive?
John: A 2014 Passat TDI-comfortable, reliable and decent fuel mileage. I also don’t need a geezer merit badge to drive it like some other German marques. I’m a V DUBBER anyway.

Nick: Lastly, is Permanon working on any top secret projects that you can hint at?
John: *chuckles* - Always, and Germany is very tight lipped about THAT subject!

I would like to give a big shout out to John for taking time out of his day to answer my questions about Permamon products. John is a very nice guy, and extremely knowledgeable about surface care enhancement. John made it clear that Permanon is constantly researching and developing new products, and I look forward to having them on our shelves.

Permanon Resources

Permanon Finishes (http://www.autogeek.net/permanon-coatings.html)

How to apply Permanon Platinum Finish Protection (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/69365-how-apply-permanon-platinum-finish-protection.html)

Up Close & Personal: Permanon Platinum Finish Protection (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/71751-up-close-personal-permanon-platinum-finish-protection.html)

TroyScherer
02-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Very Cool.

Permanon is so quick and easy to use. I like it especially in winter as added protection over a coating.

ScottB
02-11-2014, 07:34 PM
nice product, super easy to use, and cannot wait to see more products from this line.

ZeroSP
02-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Use it on their teeth I read?

Pureshine
02-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Say this product on youtube seems pretty cool but has to reapplied every 2 weeks from what the video said. If that is the case then Power is better still in my opinion. I see no info how long it last for.

Nick McKees37
02-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Use it on their teeth I read?

I guess so! :laughing:

Say this product on youtube seems pretty cool but has to reapplied every 2 weeks from what the video said. If that is the case then Power is better still in my opinion. I see no info how long it last for.

Two weeks sounds a little low...were they referring to Platinum?

It's imperative that previous waxes and polymer sealants are removed BEFORE applying Platinum, as the product will not form a complete bond.

I've used it a couple times and would have no problem claiming 6-10 weeks for durability. A lot of people even use it as a topper on their coated vehicle. :dblthumb2:

HateSwirls
02-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Thank you Nick for sharing such an awesome interview :dblthumb2:

Here is where we never quit learning no matter how many years one has been in the business:)

ZeroSP
02-15-2014, 06:06 PM

As far as I concern, the video is showing Car Supershine which formulated long ago.

We then got Permanon Aircraft, and then Platinum.

Permanon is kind of cheap here in my place, easy and fast. And no problems with anything from 2-3 months with tropical weather here. But I would say 2 months to be safe.

The slickness is not there after a wash, but the beading and sheeting is there. And surprisingly, they performed and lasted way better on glass and wheels than on paint.