PDA

View Full Version : The weather's terrible and you can't detail cars. What are you doing to improve your business?

Pages : [1] 2

Jean-Claude
02-11-2014, 12:43 PM
More of a rhetorical title but feel free to express how you are improving business during times of nasty weather.

If you're here, chances are you earn income by detailing cars. For many of us, weather can have a direct impact on our schedule and the volume of calls we receive.

So when the weather gets bad and business slows down, what are you doing? Do you enjoy television, movies or video games? If your goal is to be successful in this industry, you need to have those things take a back seat to your business. Being a successful business owner means you live your business. That doesn't mean nothing else matters to you. Personally, my family remains #1 and I make time(make time) for them. But what I do do, is not a ton of TV watching or game playing. I enjoy those things as much as I ever did. But I recognize that staying busy is as much a result of hard work while not detailing, as it is doing amazing car detailing for clients.

Goofing off on automotive forums can be a pleasant way to conduct some business and market yourself. But don't get hung up on forums as your sole source of business. There is a gigantic market in people who want something more than they can find in their local detailers but don't know where to find it. THAT is where you can put some of your attention.

We have been putting more efforts into youtube presentations. Here: Detailed Designs Auto Spa Car Detailing - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/PaintCorrectionPro) Notice how from the early videos to our most recent how things have improved... Frankly, they are not the most amazing productions. But until I can find the right company to handle this aspect, I maintain complete creative control and focus on my target audience. In the mean time, the video production value has improved. Why am I bringing this up? When we are slammed(we are now and have been since the beginning of summer ...but on these ice-days we take them off), I can't make time for working on videos during the day. We are busy and I find myself staying up until 1am or later to work on our online presence and videos.

So what are you doing? When things slow down in this time of the year, are you playing video games or are you pursuing growth for your business that you would otherwise not be able to do while busy?

What about designing a brochure or writing blog pieces? Can you build value in your brand/company by providing helpful information to potential clients and other industry professionals? Blog pieces are useful to people and they help with SEO. SEO should be a major part of your time investments. For us, the Atlanta SEO market is a real tough one and requires constant attention.

If I had to do it all over again I would have first paid for the absolute best website I could afford...or even get a loan for the best one possible. Image is everything in this industry. If you're great at your craft but have a budget-image, it will be an uphill struggle getting folks to give you an opportunity to prove yourself. If you know your website lacks something, use downtime to work on it. Other professional's time can be expensive. What is your TV watching time worth? Nothing. Educate yourself and invest your time in learning new ways to improve your brand/company.

Over the last few months I've spend time working with a few guys new in the industry who are trying to build something special that they can make a living on. One gentleman was a bit lost as to how to invest his down time. I suggested he make videos showing off, say, a coating he likes to apply. That same guy had a video DAYS later. That's impressive to me. That's ambition and drive. That inspires me as much as helps him. That's what we should all aim for.

We've seen growth from quarter to quarter since 2007 because downtime has been used in productive ways. In some ways, I look forward to downtime so we can do these projects. If you're in the position of not having work, I suggest you make some. Hustle for your projects. Work hard at working hard. Keep busy and live your business. Remember that nothing worth attaining is easy to get.

VP Mark
02-11-2014, 12:57 PM
1. Updating all of my directory listing and making sure they are current.

2. Maintaining all of my equipment, ordering extra parts/repairing anything in need.

3. Reading. Lots of business books, blogs, small business magazines.

4. Updating business plan, book keeping strategies, re organizing office side.

5. Learning about the latest and greatest in the industry. It's always changing, so I want to make sure to go into the spring with every tool necessary.

6. Making sure my marketing literature is up to date. You would be shocked how much your pricing/packages has changed since you printed those 2 year old brochures. Do you have enough business cards to get through the next year? Are they updated with all current information?

7. Updating website. I send my host team updates every couple of weeks but this time of year there is a lot more time to sit and critique.

8. Really most important, spend lots of time with the family. When the first burst of warm air hits I will be working from 7 AM until 8 PM most nights, need to enjoy the slower times while they are there.

Woob
02-11-2014, 01:12 PM
This weather has been brutal on everyone, thanks for the great info. Free time is biz development time.

Justin M.
02-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Great post, and very helpful to hear what others are doing.

My detailing business is only part time, but I do try to get other things done when I do not have a weekend job lined up. Some of the things I work on:

1. Add updates/news to Facebook, Google+, website
2. Update or enhance my detailing documentation and processes
3. Update or work on business plan
4. Read lots of detail forums, books, etc
5. Do follow-up calls with previous customers

Jean Claude, your mention about having the absolute best website possible has gotten me thinking about having mine re-done :o

VP Mark
02-11-2014, 01:19 PM
I paid the money to have my website professionally done and it was worth every penny. If you are going to do this full time a website revamp should be your #1 priority in my opinion.

Detailing by M
02-11-2014, 01:33 PM
move

GenesisCoupe
02-11-2014, 02:03 PM
I keep the page updated with fresh stuff, even upload an old before/after picture.

I re-stock for the season, organize and put to proper storage.

I do this part time and have about 4-5 cars scheduled already. I typically do about 30-35 cars a detailing season. (May- early October)

Paintxpert
02-11-2014, 02:39 PM
In Winter, I rest my weary body, after the ravages of over 40 years doing "paint rejuvenation". My Chiro man said I should have quit auto polishing 25 years ago. I have very little cartilage left in my elbows, due to the years "Rotary polishing" Now, part time, I do work as it comes up. I have quite a few steadies. In my peak I did dealers only about 400 per year. I LOVE what I do. BUT my body is paying for it now. I will probably do "paint rejuvenation until my hips can endure no longer. With Gods blessing of course, I am not ready to hang-up my rotary yet! Like Clint Eastwood and his magnum! Spring comes each year, bringing with it a "fortified revitalization" God willing, I will embark on my 41st year in business doing what I love. Making "eye candy" out of clients most prized possessions.

A.P.A.D.
02-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Great post Jean-Claude.

With the icy mess we are getting in Eastern NC right now, I am spending time working on my website. Updating pages on it, updating the portfolio(which I am bad about updating since it is easier to update the Facebook page all the time), adding Opti-coat PRO page, and working on SEO.

More importantly, spending time with the family.

The Enforcer
02-12-2014, 10:16 PM
500 rwhp C6 vette...my snow day did not suck at all! Full correction and Opti-Coat. 15 hours total.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b288/kyles2000z/IMG_20140208_180114_907_zps7f19671f.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/kyles2000z/media/IMG_20140208_180114_907_zps7f19671f.jpg.html)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b288/kyles2000z/MyCollage_46_zpsde56c38d.png (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/kyles2000z/media/MyCollage_46_zpsde56c38d.png.html)

wdmaccord
02-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Telling all my friends that love going to the local swirl-factory carwash that I will fix their paint in the spring.

Jean-Claude
02-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Great feedback guys.

How busy are you keeping considering this is traditionally an "off-season" for our industry?

Stevedotmil
02-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Telling all my friends that love going to the local swirl-factory carwash that I will fix their paint in the spring.

Love this... I like the reaction I get when I wince after hearing how my friends wash their cars that they spend so much time and money on making theirs.

WAXOFF
02-16-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm with Paintxpert. I'm 60 years old. I do my jobs in the summer as weather permits. I was a tech for 23 years and now in management at a dealer. You can't go like you used to. I weekend detail makes me sore but the look on a customers face makes it all worth it to me. I won't do wash and wax jobs. I only do fulls. If they don't want to pay I send them away. I have one way to do it and that's it and I tell them that.When I'm done it's as good as it's ever going to look. You can only polish a turd so much as the saying goes.

Real Riders
02-16-2014, 02:28 PM
My friend tells me every week I'm missing winter business. He says I need to do be doing waterless washes during the winter season outside in the cold. I think I will pass on that idea.