PDA

View Full Version : Better than tarx. Or stronger

DogRescuer
02-11-2014, 07:35 AM
Simple

What product if any do you suggest to remove stubborn tar that's better(if any) than tarx?
And I have used it and not impressed IF tar is old.
I have used mineral spirits and wasn't impressed

And:

What about compounding it off using da (might ruin pad huh)?

Any ideas will help.

BobbyG
02-11-2014, 07:42 AM
Hi Steve,

Tar is petroleum based so kerosene has always worked very well and won't harm the paint. Simply soak a cotton cloth in it then lightly rub over the affected area and you'll see it begin to dissolve the tar. Once finished, use a paint cleaner to remove any staining that might be present...

aim4squirrels
02-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Never tried kerosene, but stoners tarminator worked really well on my rims and front clip.

dchristo
02-11-2014, 09:30 AM
gojo hand cleaner will dissolve tar without harming paint

1kwikf
02-11-2014, 09:33 AM
I've fallen in love with Tarminator. I only wish they sold gallon sizes

conquistador
02-11-2014, 09:58 AM
I've fallen in love with Tarminator. I only wish they sold gallon sizes

I believe they sell a 5 gallon size. Just a thought.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

theblob640
02-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Simple

What product if any do you suggest to remove stubborn tar that's better(if any) than tarx?
And I have used it and not impressed IF tar is old.
I have used mineral spirits and wasn't impressed

And:

What about compounding it off using da (might ruin pad huh)?

Any ideas will help.

It still works if the tar is old. I had tar on my parent's van baked on for almost 10 years and used TarX couple months ago and it took it off. It will need a couple applications but it does take it off.

DogRescuer
02-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Hi Steve,

Tar is petroleum based so kerosene has always worked very well and won't harm the paint. Simply soak a cotton cloth in it then lightly rub over the affected area and you'll see it begin to dissolve the tar. Once finished, use a paint cleaner to remove any staining that might be present...
Thanks Bobby, when you say use a paint cleaner, what is that, ipa or qd or mineral spirits?

It still works if the tar is old. I had tar on my parent's van baked on for almost 10 years and used TarX couple months ago and it took it off. It will need a couple applications but it does take it off.
Thanks, you must be a more patient man than me.