PDA

View Full Version : Which fine cut product for paint in need of a "touch up"

wgilles
02-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Hello all,

My 2012 Focus is just passing its 2 year old mark and I've always been very careful when washing/waxing/etc as to not induce swirl marks and scratches.

However, there have been a few incidents where some swirl marks have appeared. My Dad, in his best intentions, used a nice, rough broom to clean snow off my car once (eek). There are a few other things that have put a few swirls in my car, but the bottom line is...it doesn't have "bad" swirls. It really just needs a touch up to get it back to showroom condition.

I'm looking for something that will remove the swirls that are there, but I definitely don't need a heavy compound. I have some Megs 205 that I can use, but I was wondering what suggestions you all have. I haven't bought a new polish in quite some time so I am wondering what is new and exciting (or old and undiscovered) that I could use once the weather warms up and my car gets its face lift.

Just02896
02-10-2014, 12:54 PM
For me Ford paint had always been dead center of not too hard and not too soft. I'd recommend that you stick with the M205 and just change up pads for the level of correction you need. If you want to try a new product, Sonax and Menzerna are GREAT as well! Others have mentioned that Carpro reflect is another great light polish. I believe it's on BOGO right now!

Willy Wang
02-10-2014, 01:20 PM
If the swirls aren't too bad like you say, then maybe a 1 step is what you are looking to do. Either Menzerna 2500 or Sonax Perfect Finish would probably be best for the job. Both of these have more cut than a fine polish like m205 but finish down just as well, if not better. Sonax is a bit pricey at $70 but I believe the Menzerna comes in a smaller bottle for around $35.

wdmaccord
02-10-2014, 02:42 PM
For me Ford paint had always been dead center of not too hard and not too soft. I'd recommend that you stick with the M205 and just change up pads for the level of correction you need. If you want to try a new product, Sonax and Menzerna are GREAT as well! Others have mentioned that Carpro reflect is another great light polish. I believe it's on BOGO right now!

+1. Since you already have M205, and it is a great polish, I don't see any need to buy anything else. Spend some money on some good pads. If you use Lake Country CCS, then I'd start with white. Try the orange if white doesn't remove all the swirls. Probably a good idea to clay it also before you polish.

TundraPower
02-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Hello all, My 2012 Focus is just passing its 2 year old mark and I've always been very careful when washing/waxing/etc as to not induce swirl marks and scratches. However, there have been a few incidents where some swirl marks have appeared. My Dad, in his best intentions, used a nice, rough broom to clean snow off my car once (eek). There are a few other things that have put a few swirls in my car, but the bottom line is...it doesn't have "bad" swirls. It really just needs a touch up to get it back to showroom condition. I'm looking for something that will remove the swirls that are there, but I definitely don't need a heavy compound. I have some Megs 205 that I can use, but I was wondering what suggestions you all have. I haven't bought a new polish in quite some time so I am wondering what is new and exciting (or old and undiscovered) that I could use once the weather warms up and my car gets its face lift.

Use this opportunity to get rid of 205 and get a nice polish. Sonax Perfect Finish, Menzerna Power Finish (2500), or Rupes Keramik Gloss Fine Gel Polish.

Wes Bremec
02-10-2014, 02:59 PM
There is nothing wrong with m205, but it is also goo to have a polish with dat technology also like sf4000

Andr3wilson
02-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Use this opportunity to get rid of 205 and get a nice polish. Sonax Perfect Finish, Menzerna Power Finish (2500), or Rupes Keramik Gloss Fine Gel Polish.

I like Keramik

TundraPower
02-10-2014, 03:18 PM
I like Keramik

I like it even better with Rupes yellow microfiber pads :props:

wgilles
02-10-2014, 03:20 PM
I've been eyeing some of the Menz polishes for a while, so I may have to try one out. I also like what I hear about the Sonax, but it just seems too pricey to me.

jankerson
02-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Hello all,

My 2012 Focus is just passing its 2 year old mark and I've always been very careful when washing/waxing/etc as to not induce swirl marks and scratches.

However, there have been a few incidents where some swirl marks have appeared. My Dad, in his best intentions, used a nice, rough broom to clean snow off my car once (eek). There are a few other things that have put a few swirls in my car, but the bottom line is...it doesn't have "bad" swirls. It really just needs a touch up to get it back to showroom condition.

I'm looking for something that will remove the swirls that are there, but I definitely don't need a heavy compound. I have some Megs 205 that I can use, but I was wondering what suggestions you all have. I haven't bought a new polish in quite some time so I am wondering what is new and exciting (or old and undiscovered) that I could use once the weather warms up and my car gets its face lift.

M205 will be fine. :xyxthumbs:

Just make sure you are using the right pad and speed for what you are wanting to do.

I recommend starting out with the LC White Flat Pad and see how that goes in a test spot. If you need more cut move up to the LC Orange Flat Pad.

If you needed the LC Orange pad then finish up with the White Pad using M205 again for the finial step.