PDA

View Full Version : Advise for chrome

roth79
02-09-2014, 09:34 PM
What product do you suggest to use on chrome trim,bumpers and wheels. I want to strip clay and Polish then seal the above. All the chrome polish I have seen contains wax or protectant. I know that a sealer like dp wheel seal will not stick. So I want to strip all the old wax and sealant then polish and seal.

Advise please. I was going to use opc to strip and clean
Then a polish of some sort then seal. Thanks for any advise I can get!

Thanks

Roth

zacetzel
02-09-2014, 11:41 PM
What product do you suggest to use on chrome trim,bumpers and wheels. I want to strip clay and Polish then seal the above. All the chrome polish I have seen contains wax or protectant. I know that a sealer like dp wheel seal will not stick. So I want to strip all the old wax and sealant then polish and seal.

Advise please. I was going to use opc to strip and clean
Then a polish of some sort then seal. Thanks for any advise I can get!

Thanks

Roth

http://www.meguiars.com/content/global/product/8071_sm.jpguse this to remove all the old stuff and even out the surface, this can be done by hand or with a power drill attachments, i prefer the dynacone from meguiars, then
http://www.meguiars.com/content/global/product/8073_sm.jpgapply two or three coats of this it will get you an amazing shine, then for maintenance just one. and on rims it makes brake dust rinse off with just straight water i love this stuff and so do my customers, but be careful though it make bumpers pretty dam shiny in full sunlight.

aim4squirrels
02-10-2014, 03:59 AM
What is the current condition of your chrome?

Dirty?
Oxidized?
Watermarked?
Pitted?

If it's one of the top 3 try Flitz metal polish. Outstanding stuff with very little grunt work needed.

Hazcat
02-10-2014, 04:50 AM
Just iron x if needed, clay, polish, and put on your sealant. Use the same brand of polish and sealant if possible.

HateSwirls
02-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Wolfgang Trim Sealant works well on chrome, apply and let it cure some and buff off to a high shine.
You get protection and a great shine, not sure how long it would last though.
A little goes far so it's a money saver product:)

roth79
02-10-2014, 09:48 AM
The chrome is in good shape, I want to polish it and seal it, what polish do you guys recommend where I can follow up with a sealer and it will adhere to the polished chrome?

My fallback will be wgts as the chrome is in good shape, juts looking to maintain it.

Thanks all.

parttimer
02-10-2014, 09:52 AM
I just did my truck this weekend, 2013 RAM with chrome bumpers. I used a Rupes yellow pad and black fire total polish and seal. Spread around one 1, polished on 5, man they looked sick. I had some pitting and rust runs around the bolt holes. All gone.

tuscarora dave
02-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Poorboy's World Pro Polish is a very nice choice for chrome polishing that contains no wax or sealant.

If you do end up using a drill attachment while polishing chrome, be very careful to know for sure if you are working on actual chrome plated metal or chrome plated plastic. The friction from a spinning drill attachment can be what teaches you that what you might think is metal is actually plastic, been there and learned that hard lesson myself when I truly thought I was working on chrome plated metal....

It can be hard to tell the difference on some of the vehicles that are on the road today.

roth79
02-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone,

R

TundraPower
02-10-2014, 09:31 PM
White Diamond. You can get it at AutoZone. Wear gloves, very toxic stuff but it works amazing. Look into Wizards chrome products as well.

MPBGT
02-10-2014, 09:40 PM
I use mothers on all my chrome

Rsurfer
02-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Blackfire Metal Sealant is as good as it gets.

aim4squirrels
02-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Poorboy's World Pro Polish is a very nice choice for chrome polishing that contains no wax or sealant.

If you do end up using a drill attachment while polishing chrome, be very careful to know for sure if you are working on actual chrome plated metal or chrome plated plastic. The friction from a spinning drill attachment can be what teaches you that what you might think is metal is actually plastic, been there and learned that hard lesson myself when I truly thought I was working on chrome plated metal....

It can be hard to tell the difference on some of the vehicles that are on the road today.

Forgive me for asking, as I'm not an expert on metallurgy, but wouldn't a magnet tell that tale for you?

tuscarora dave
02-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Forgive me for asking, as I'm not an expert on metallurgy, but wouldn't a magnet tell that tale for you?

Yeah if you had one. Do you carry magnets around in your detailing kit?

aim4squirrels
02-10-2014, 11:11 PM
Yeah if you had one. Do you carry magnets around in your detailing kit?

One of the inspection lights I have has a magnetic hook on it, so yes, oddly enough I do. Might serve as a good tool to have for future avoidance of that particular problem you mentioned.

I've also known folks to use magnetic business cards, if you are into that type of thing I suppose they could serve double duty.

I was more wondering if a binding agent used to fuse chrome to plastic might be ferrous in nature and attract a magnet, making it an unusable test procedure. Thank you for clarifying for me.