PDA

View Full Version : Help: How to polish logo / emblem at trunk (picture included)

Tato
02-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Dear friends,

I'm working on my recent project (PT Cruiser 09-10) and I'm to polish the logo / emblem at the trunk that's not looking nice.

I'm to get a white polishing pad and some M205 and try to gentle polish it back to life, but I'm not sure if there's a better way to do this.

Before I start I would like to hear from you, if anyone has experience on this, how would you polish this logo / emblem?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/logo10.png

Thank you VERY MUCH in advance.

Kind Regards.

Just02896
02-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Does this badge feel "gummy" if you push on it with your fingernail? If so, I'm not so sure it could be restored.

primo spaghetti
02-09-2014, 09:16 AM
the cost of labour is probably more than the cost of a new emblem.

tuscarora dave
02-09-2014, 09:29 AM
I'd use a 4" very soft pad on a rotary at a very slow speed and go over it with M-105 or a similar compound to remove a bit of material first, then I'd repeat the process but with a clean pad and M-205 to gloss it up a little better.

If that didn't work....and it should only take a minute or 5 by the way, I'd look into a replacement.

Tato
02-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Hello friends,

Thank you very much for opinions here. I'll use every information (precious) you gave and try something here. I'll come up later with a picture showing either success or the 'disaster'!

'Pray for me', please.

Kind Regards.

Tato
02-09-2014, 12:13 PM
That's it, thank you very much for all support.

Tried M105 by hand to see how it would responds, and looked it 'handle' the M105 abrasives.

That way I've sanded (slightly) with 3000 and just after used M105 on tangerine Hydrotech pad (polishing) for few passes using speed 2 on my Flex3401 with little to no pressure. Using the same pad, I've 'poured' a drop or two of M205 and finished like this:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/logo_after.png

Like you've said, between 1-5 minutes everything was done. I was really afraid of messing up this logo, but your answer encouraged me and I could achieve an acceptable result.

I'll leave that way for now, but I believe that when I coat the car (also the logo) it'll look even better.

Thanks again,

Kind Regards.

tuscarora dave
02-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Glad to see it worked out so well. Looks nice now.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. :dblthumb2:

Paul A.
02-09-2014, 04:42 PM
WOW! That looks phenomenal. Nice work.

Tato
02-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Thank you for comments.

I'm working on a complete restoration on this 2010 PT Cruiser, and I'm detailing everything needed to make this car new, showroom finish again.

It'll be on show'n'shine maybe on tuesday, hope you enjoy when I'm done.

Thanks to this forum I could ask and receive some good answers in no time for this little detail, but changed 100% the look of the car from behind.

Thank you !

Kind Regards.

Radarryan
02-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Nice turnaround! It's nice that it still has some of the "character" of the decal while now being visible. Beats having to replace it! Well done!

Pureshine
02-09-2014, 10:22 PM
looks good :)