PDA

View Full Version : Help with wheel cleaner

DogRescuer
02-08-2014, 06:58 AM
Can you guys help with this, does anyone have any experience with these 2:

Megs wheel brightener
Sonax full affect

which will clean better (besides 1 having acid iin it)

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
02-08-2014, 07:40 AM
It's hard to compare products with and without acid because they really form too different functions. I don't think anyone uses Megs WB as their go to wheel cleaner, I think they used it because whatever they tried first didn't get the job done.

I can tell you that Megs WB can't be used safely on all wheels and surfaces, while Sonax FE can.

DogRescuer
02-08-2014, 07:48 AM
It's hard to compare products with and without acid because they really form too different functions. I don't think anyone uses Megs WB as their go to wheel cleaner, I think they used it because whatever they tried first didn't get the job done.

I can tell you that Megs WB can't be used safely on all wheels and surfaces, while Sonax FE can.

Thanks. Yes I had wheels that caused me to go to the WB and it did great .

mg6045
02-08-2014, 07:58 AM
as far as all out cleaning strength nothing will beat Meg's WB. I always keep a bottle ready to go for cleaning up the hub of the brake rotors. Its the only product I have ever seen that will remove the black grime and rust off porous cast aluminum or steel. With that said I have never used it as a maintenance product for the wheel itself. I was always very carefull to watch the overspray even though megs claims its totally safe on clearcoated wheels. If the rotor is machined aluminum like on an Audi RS or new M5 it will dull it slightly but its better than looking at rust or black grime.

HateSwirls
02-08-2014, 08:39 AM
I use the Meguiar's D160 Wheel Brightener on wheels that are just really dirty, IMO nothing will out perform it's cleaning abilities.
On my personal cars I maintain the wheels so I don't have to use it each time, in fact I only used it once and that was to clean the wheel barrel, It cleaned them without having to remove the wheel.

One product that works really well is Meguiar's All Wheel & Tire Cleaner,it does a fantastic job on both the wheels and tires.
I use it if I hadn't clean the car in a while, makes the cleaning of the wheels and tires much faster.

On the dirtiest wheels I use the D160 2:1, I simply spray one wheel at a time, let it sit for about 30-40 seconds then rinse well.
It removes most of the dirt and break dust just by rinsing.
Then I finish up with a brush using car soap.

A word of caution, wear gloves, long sleeve shirt and eye protection being its an acid.

ScottB
02-08-2014, 12:17 PM
I prefer a safe wheel cleaner (P21S, Griots, DP), assorted brushes, and some elbow grease. Acid only harms any finish over time IMO. Never use any wheel cleaner on hot wheels.

warrenboy
02-08-2014, 12:24 PM
hello, P21S, Griots, DP would be best option to clean wheels.

DogRescuer
02-08-2014, 01:29 PM
thanks for the help

Rmd
02-08-2014, 01:35 PM
I have both. Mainly used the Wheel Brite to clean wheels when they had embedded brake dust (BMW) and wheel barrels when they were nasty. I do not use it for maintenance, its pretty gnarly. I alternate with the Sonax and GC Diablo. Sonax is absolutely excellent, but pricey. It powers through brake dust. Diablo is cost effective and great to use, foams up beautifully and clings to wheels; I go with that when wheels are dirty with road grime and basic dirt.