PDA

View Full Version : Single-stage white paint question

SR99
02-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Will all single-stage paint, even if “showroom new condition” show color on your pad and wiping towel if you use a light abrasive polish, or does the paint have to be oxidized first and in fairly weathered condition, before color transfer will begin to show up?

And/or does it require a fairly coarse abrasive before it will show up, or even a light polish will cause color transfer to your polishing pads and wiping towel?

Is there anything special about white single stage that might call for a different answer to those questions?

HateSwirls
02-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Depends what you call "Light?

My RAV is Black, single stage paint, no clear coat.
Even using a white pad and Meguiar's Ultra Fine Polish I'll still see some paint transfer, very light but all the same I do see it even when the paint is flawless, not talking about only one panel, I'm talking three or four panels.
Now I'm talking about using pressure, maybe if you only use light pressure you may not see any paint transfer.
By hand I don't think you'd see any white on your pad beside the polish itself.

ken tuep
02-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Yes, all single stage paint will transfer color to your pad, regardless of age, shine, depth, color.

The pigment is on/in the uppermost layers, and not protected by anything (clearcoat).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

FUNX650
02-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Will all single-stage paint, even if “showroom new condition” show color on your pad and wiping towel if you use a light abrasive polish, or does the paint have to be oxidized first and in fairly weathered condition, before color transfer will begin to show up?

And/or does it require a fairly coarse abrasive before it will show up, or even a light polish will cause color transfer to your polishing pads and wiping towel?

Is there anything special about white single stage that might call for a different answer to those questions?

The only quirkiness I can possibly see is:
When a "White" SS paint system oxidizes, this oxidation (just as it will also be with other SS-colors) will consist of it having a chalky white appearance...

This white chalkiness {"dead paint" :D} will transfer to compounding/polishing pads before any other "White" paint.

Bob

SR99
02-07-2014, 08:26 PM
So the reason I ask...funny story...a couple days ago I read an AG thread that said all Toyota white paint is single stage. I thought, huh? what?

I have a 14 year old white Toyota, and I don't ever recall seeing color transfer. That "all Toyota white paint is single stage" comment was news to me, which is pretty funny after having a vehicle for 14 years ;)

Here are a couple pics of the paint condition (these are from about 9 months ago, but still looks the same):

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b626/ay7bbx/AG/SS-wht/LR1500zoom2-225_2_zpsf5f28f45.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b626/ay7bbx/AG/SS-wht/LR1650zoom1-225_2_zps44a678c6.jpg

and I've never done more than a light polish, but thinking back, I may have always used a white pad. But you'd think I'd have seen some color in the wiping towel.

So I just went and did a small test spot, using Prima Swirl which is a medium cut, a blue foam pad by hand, and a dark green MF towel. No white paint color transfer.

So that's why I was wondering if the paint had to undergo some chemical change/oxidation first, before the color would transfer. So I don't know what to think?

02whitetundra
02-07-2014, 09:50 PM
I have the same truck and it does in fact have single stage paint. I don't usually see any white paint transfer on the pads either for some reason. In the past, I have experienced the white, chalky appearance due to oxidation though.

BTW, that looks to be in great shape, mine only has 42,000 miles on it.

FUNX650
02-07-2014, 10:21 PM
I have a 14 year old white Toyota, and I don't ever recall seeing color transfer. That "all Toyota white paint is single stage" comment was news to me, which is pretty funny after having a vehicle for 14 years ;)

So I don't know what to think?
Is this a 2000 truck?...What is the paint code?
(Driver's side door jamb...C/TR xxx/yyy)

Bob

SR99
02-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Hi Bob, it's called natural white, code 056. As far as I know, that's the only white that was available, and I also think all 2000's were made in Indiana so you wouldn't think there'd be variation due to different manufacturing plants.

But I still can't get the paint transfer test that is always recommended to check for 1-stage paint, to positively confirm it. So I guess that's not a 100% reliable test. Of course, if you look it up on the internet you get some people saying it is and some saying it isn't (but that's par for the course). Far more people say it is s-s though.

PS, thanks for confirming, 02whitetundra.

FUNX650
02-08-2014, 12:15 AM
You could try this...

Phone
800-331-4331
M-F 5:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. PT
Sat 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. PT

Bob

SR99
02-08-2014, 06:51 PM
You could try this...

Phone
800-331-4331
M-F 5:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. PT
Sat 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. PT

Bob

Thanks Bob. I generally don't bother with customer service calls, since most of the time the person on the other end just reads answers from a script of common questions, and that's the extent of what they know. But since you went to the trouble of posting the phone number, I felt obligated to call.

To my surprise, they connected me to someone who knew the answer. So it's official: Toyota confirmed that it's single-stage, no clearcoat.

Now if only I understood the lack of color transfer. If anyone has any thoughts on that, even if you're just guessing, I'd like to hear them since I'm stumped. I always had the impression (without knowing I actually had single stage paint for the past 14 years :dunno:) that with S-S paint you got color transfer with even the lightest abrasive polish. Anyway, it seems a safe bet that if I used at least a medium polish and pad that I'm going to get some color transfer eventually. Maybe it's just extremely hard (it does seem very resistant to scratches).

FUNX650
02-08-2014, 07:26 PM
Thanks Bob. I generally don't bother with customer service calls, since most of the time the person on the other end just reads answers from a script of common questions, and that's the extent of what they know. But since you went to the trouble of posting the phone number, I felt obligated to call.

To my surprise, they connected me to someone who knew the answer. So it's official: Toyota confirmed that it's single-stage, no clearcoat.

Now if only I understood the lack of color transfer. If anyone has any thoughts on that, even if you're just guessing, I'd like to hear them since I'm stumped. I always had the impression (without knowing I actually had single stage paint for the past 14 years :dunno:) that with S-S paint you got color transfer with even the lightest abrasive polish. Anyway, it seems a safe bet that if I used at least a medium polish and pad that I'm going to get some color transfer eventually. Maybe it's just extremely hard (it does seem very resistant to scratches).
Glad you got the information you needed...
Without the runaround from a company representative.

And: I know, that you know:
White paints are usually considered the "hardest" paints.
Titanium Dioxide (TiO2)...when used as a pigment it's called titanium white...plays a large role in its "hardness factor".

Since it must...evidently...take a lot of scrubbing and rubbing to get evidence of any white paint transfer...
An EPTG may really come in handy for future comparisons' sake.
This truck has, no doubt, already undergone a couple of polishing sessions over the last decade, or so.
It still looks good---and I'm sure you want to keep it that way.

Bob

STPETEDALE
02-08-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm kinda shocked thats all you have done to paint it looks perfect. The white I'm familiar with as being ss is super white. I have a 2010 and 2011 vehicle both ss super white I am constantly battling. Seems like darker ss paints show transfer paint more?? Only a guess.

SR99
02-10-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm kinda shocked thats all you have done to paint it looks perfect. The white I'm familiar with as being ss is super white. I have a 2010 and 2011 vehicle both ss super white I am constantly battling. Seems like darker ss paints show transfer paint more?? Only a guess.

From what I've read, Toyota now has a Super White II, which is a 2-stage with clearcoat. It seems that would be the first non-single-stage white for Toyota, but this is all quite a surprise to me and a week ago I had no idea.

What sort of issues do you have with the super white? Just hard to keep glossy?

STPETEDALE
02-11-2014, 05:19 PM
The ss super white (040) I'm referring to is my favorite color. We have a love hate relationship.When its polished and has a couple layers of sealant in full sun its blinding literally. However, there seems to be alot of confusion about what years, vehicles and colors are SS. I've read several fourms where some say it depends on what plant its painted at could mean it actually is clearcoated. Others say all red, black and white toyotas are SS.If I had to bet I would say that Tundra pictured earlier in fact is base/clear. I haven't heard anything about a new super white with clearcoat?? I was under the impression SS paint and clearcoats don't mix period. Alot of people confuse paint transfer as soley being SS what about tinted clearcoats? I will suggest for paint code 040 toyota super white the following for almost perfect results. I battled an 07 tundra yesterday that was severly neglected and had the classic dull chalky appearance. Entire vehicle foamed withCG wash n gloss extra strong, clay barred with fine grade clay. As you clay you will notice how much dead white is removed. I then use my Flex with a lake county orange pad at #6 speed.Menz.400 seems to work extremely well on this color. Removes all oxidation and swirls etc. In a few passes. Approximately 85% corrected. If you are feeling up to it follow up with menz 2500 will result in a perfect finish.I use a Q tip with a dab of compound around badges. I also wax/seal more frequently with this color or other SS. I've done battle with this color for over 10 years and it has really grown on me. So in 2011 I purchased my first brand new Camry super white. Sorry about long post but thats my 2 cents for what it's worthIm the MAN