PDA

View Full Version : Exterior detailing in EXTREME Cold

Pages : [1] 2

Ao1051
02-07-2014, 04:23 PM
So I am thinking about Detailing the exterior while its -20 outside... I went thru the touchless car wash and it removed about 75 percent of the dirt. Now I want to clay it and polish and do all that stuff... would claying the whole car be a bad idea with this much dirt/contaminants on it... I just bought the vehicle in December but its been sooooo cold I haven't had a chance and now i'm just like EFF IT! it needs to be done... good idea or not? Feed back please

tpr1634
02-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Try plan B:buffing:

Flash Gordon
02-07-2014, 04:26 PM
So I am thinking about Detailing the exterior while its -20 outside... I went thru the touchless car wash and it removed about 75 percent of the dirt. Now I want to clay it and polish and do all that stuff... would claying the whole car be a bad idea with this much dirt/contaminants on it... I just bought the vehicle in December but its been sooooo cold I haven't had a chance and now i'm just like EFF IT! it needs to be done... good idea or not? Feed back please

You won't be polishing anything at that temp. The lowest I've gone is 26 degrees and that was with direct sunlight

Scoreboard
Bad Idea: 1

Good Idea: 0

Ao1051
02-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Well I mean I have a Heated garage... but im not cranking up the pressure washer in there... my wife would kill me... the garage temp stays around 65-70 degrees. sorry I left that bit of info out...

10secdream
02-07-2014, 04:31 PM
I would go to the coin op or touch-less car wash to remove as many of the contaminants as possible. Bring the vehicle home and perform a ONR wash. From that point on you can clay and polish in the heated garage.

If it was me I would just wait to polish in the springtime and at least enjoy a swirl free vehicle for the summer/fall.

Flash Gordon
02-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Well I mean I have a Heated garage... but im not cranking up the pressure washer in there... my wife would kill me... the garage temp stays around 65-70 degrees. sorry I left that bit of info out...

Yes. That info would've swayed my decision

Ao1051
02-07-2014, 04:37 PM
I was thinking about waiting... I don't have any swirls but I did get some brush burn the other day... it looks like a shopping cart caught my bumper... and someone keyed it when I went to visit my mom. the finish is damn near perfect. just wanted some more depth and clarity... greed kills mankind ... :dblthumb2:

HD.Detailing
02-07-2014, 04:52 PM
bad idea... clean in your heated garage, then clay, etc...

wdmaccord
02-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Wait til spring. But, I'd maybe say otherwise if I had that kind of temp in my garage. :xyxthumbs:

HateSwirls
02-07-2014, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't clay if the car is still dirty.
Couldn't you do a WW while in the garage ?
IMO claying paint while still dirty would cause more harm than good.
Man is it cold where you are. Brrrrrrr
And to think I was saying it was cold this morning at 29 degrees.
Sorry man:(

wdmaccord
02-07-2014, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't clay if the car is still dirty.
Couldn't you do a WW while in the garage ?
IMO claying paint while still dirty would cause more harm than good.
Man is it cold where you are. Brrrrrrr
And to think I was saying it was cold this morning at 29 degrees.
Sorry man:(

Jerk :laughing: I'd be happy with 29 for a HIGH!

FUNX650
02-07-2014, 07:58 PM
I was thinking about waiting... I don't have any swirls but I did get some brush burn the other day... it looks like a shopping cart caught my bumper... and someone keyed it when I went to visit my mom. the finish is damn near perfect. just wanted some more depth and clarity... greed kills mankind ... :dblthumb2:
I probably couldn't provide any worthwhile advice,
if you're going to wrap-up this accounting of the finish being darn near perfect after incurring:
-brush burn (?)
-shopping cart run-in
-keyed

By saying:
"greed kills mankind"...

Bob

spiralout462
02-07-2014, 08:12 PM
^ Agreed ! ! !

swanicyouth
02-07-2014, 08:12 PM
OP go for it.