PDA

View Full Version : How to use Iron X

Pages : [1] 2 3

cheekyage
02-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Hi guys,

I am looking at purchasing CarPro's Iron X.

Here are my questions regarding it's application.

1a. Do I spray undiluted directly on the paintwork to then dwell and rinse with water?

1b. Do I need to use a wash mitt to wipe off or is it just a matter of spraying, dwelling and rinsing?

2. Can I use it on wheels?

3. Does it strip all waxes and sealant?

Bill1234
02-06-2014, 07:47 PM
1. a yes, mist it on and let it dwell, car should turn a purpleish color

1b more of a dwell, you can also buy a car wash version

2. yes, you can! spray and let it dwell and rinse

3 it might strip some. I would strip previous sealents, then use iron x and clay, correction if needed, then seal/wax

AutowerxDetailing
02-06-2014, 07:50 PM
1a. Yes: spray, dwell, agitate, dwell, rinse.

1b. See above recommended usage.

2. Yes. It's awesome on really neglected wheels. Just keep it away from the wheel weights because it will turn them green.

3. Maybe. Depends on the wax/sealant I suppose. Will not strip most coatings so it's great to decon a coated vehicle without having to clay.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online

ski2
02-06-2014, 07:54 PM
From the Carpro Website:

Directions:

A.-Use outside or with sufficient ventilation.

B.-Use latex or Nitrile gloves, and face protection.

C.-If there is an inordinate amount of tree sap, tar, other organic material, wax, or sealants on the vehicle I recommend you strip them first with TarX so Iron X can attack the ferrous particles without any interference. This is not required but is how I like to do it for best results.

D.-For best results apply to a mostly dry surface. A few drops of water is ok.

1.-Shake the bottle.

2.-You can cover the surface with Iron X by spraying it everywhere but that can be wasteful. I recommend that you spray as needed and spread it with a small sponge or applicator to cover the entire surface. You may also consider using an atomizer type spray bottle or HVLP gun. In any case evenly cover the surfaces you wish to decontaminate. The product is strong so you don’t have to be wasteful. Just make sure it contacts the entire surface.

3.-Allow the product to dwell for 5 minutes in the shade. Do not allow it to dry in the sun. On light colored paints you will see the product dissolving ferrous particles as it turns color. On darker colored paints everything is happening in exactly the same way. It’s simply more difficult for you to view the color changing affect. I have read people saying the product works better on lighter colored cars but that is illogical and is not the case. It works the same regardless of car color.

4.-After allowing to dwell take a damp (not soaked) grout or other paint safe sponge (or other media if you prefer) and agitate the surface.

5.-Thoroughly rinse the surface.

Don’t forget to rinse your media out also. I like to have a dedicated Iron X sponge but that isn’t necessary.

cheekyage
02-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Thanks a bunch guys.

How often would you use Iron X?

- Would you use Iron X for every car wash?

- Only in preparation for paint decontamination and machine polish?

Harry Da Hamster
02-07-2014, 01:53 AM
I'm gonna have to go against the grain on this one if you're cleaning a moderately dirty (or worse) wheel but let me explain. IronX's main purpose is an iron contaminant remover. It doesn't have much cleaning ability other than that. If you want an all purpose wheel cleaner, you would reach for TRIX or something else. I would rather rinse the loose dirt and grime first so the IronX can reach the iron that has penetrated the surface. Actually i would rather use soap and water first to remove all above surface contaminants, then apply IronX for a second cleaning. Otherwise the only iron thats turning purple might be the stuff thats sitting loosely above the surface on top of the dirt and grime. This method may not achieve as much purple visual pleasure as the other method, but in theory i think it will achieve better results.

You may say the manufacturer says to apply IronX first before any water. They have a vested interest to have you use more product.

On a lightly dirty wheel, IronX seems sufficient at cleaning the wheel by itself.

lawrenceSA
02-07-2014, 03:10 AM
I will wash the car first to remove loose dirt
Rinse it off and dry it
Then remove any tar spots (these are generally bigger in size than the iron spots and so by removing them first you expose the iron underneath the tar)
Then rinse the tar remover off with some hot water
The spray the iron-x onto the dry paint
Let it dwell for 2 to 3 minutes
Then I spread it around with a damp sponge (no pressure)
Allow to dwell for another minute or 2
Rinse thoroughly

Mike Phillips
02-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Actually i would rather use soap and water first to remove all above surface contaminants, then apply IronX for a second cleaning.

I agree.

If you want to get the most IronX bang for your buck, then first wash the car to remove any oily road film and other loose dirt that could hinder the magic ingredients in Iron X form focusing directly on it's sole purpose and that is to locate and dissolve iron particles.

That said, for the best picture effects, I like to spray directly onto a dirty car and let is soak in and do it's thing.

If I'm taking pictures, this is when I get them, as soon as I see the maximum bleeding effect. I'll try to post some from the Lotus I recently used Iron X on.

Then without washing or rinsing, I bring out the Foam Gun and foam the car, right over the top of the Iron X.

Next I wash the car using the microfiber chenille wash mitt, the mitt that looks like it's made from some sort of alien worms.

After the car is fully rinsed, IF I'm going to use the Nanoskin Wash Mitt or the Nanoskin Towel, this is where I would lay down another slather foam over the car and then rub her out good! Get all the bonded contaminants off the paint, glass and anything smooth.

Then rinse again.

Then dry.

And now I'm ready to take the "before" picture or video to document the paint condition and after that do my Test Spot, dial-in my pads, products, tools and technique.

And then after proving a successful test spot, tape off any plastic, rubber, vinyl or felt trim that I don't want to detail later with a toothbrush.

And now it's ready for the first machine polishing step whether that's,

Major correction - Compounding or Medium Cut Polish
Minor correction - Medium Cut Polish or Fine Cut Polish
One-step cleaner/wax

:)

jims_auto
02-07-2014, 07:52 AM
One thing I would add when using Iron-x be sure to rinse moldings really well as they tend to hold the product and keep dripping purple all day

Mike Phillips
02-07-2014, 08:01 AM
One thing I would add when using Iron-x be sure to rinse moldings really well as they tend to hold the product and keep dripping purple all day

Best tip I've heard ever for Iron X. Last thing you want a customer to see is their car bleeding when they come to pick it up and you thought it was all done.

Thanks for chiming in Jim.

:dblthumb2:

EXTJosh
02-07-2014, 09:11 AM

+1 , great tip! I'll add wheels as well... (been there)

Mike Phillips
02-07-2014, 09:15 AM

Jim I liked your tip so much and thought others would benefit from it as well that I turned it into a dedicated article and gave you due credit.

Tip for Iron X users - Rinse well to avoid molding drip (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/76214-tip-iron-x-users-rinse-well-avoid-molding-drip.html)

Iron X is a thin liquid and will seep into cracks and crevices as well as behind exterior trim, moldings and even emblems and badges.

Be sure to rinse these areas really well to avoid having them continue to drip purple after washing and drying.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2225/Dripping_IronX_on_Lotus_02.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

parttimer
02-07-2014, 09:28 AM
I usually follow the wash, rinse TRIX method. Then rinse and mechanical decon. I went with Trix since we have lots of tar out here.

TundraPower
02-07-2014, 11:28 AM
I use Einszett Pro Atomizer Sprayer to apply Iron-X and Auto Finesse Iron Out (which I like better). Fill it up, pressurize it, soak entire vehicle in like 5 minutes. Don't use these products in the sun or let them dry. And like Mike said, make sure to rinse. When you think you've rinse enough, keep rinsing :)

BrianMcLeod
02-07-2014, 12:30 PM
I was about to post the same thread so you helped me out! Two question is will iron x be fine on the black trim like this 25146

And what is the difference from nano skin towel and mitt?