PDA

View Full Version : At my wits end - wiper blades skipping!

Pages : [1] 2

Kyle_Elantra
02-06-2014, 05:53 PM
My car is a 2013 with about 13,000 miles.

At about 10,000 miles, I noticed that the bottom half of my driver's side wiper blade skipped/chattered. I figured it was due to age and replaced them with Anco blades. That didn't fix the issue, so I spent some more money on Goodyear blades.

No luck. So I tried DP glass sealant, rain-x, changing washer fluid, and even vinegar to remove and water spots (didn't see any).

So I recently bought Rain-X Latitude blades. I then clayed the windshield, did a 91% IPA wipe down, and still, the bottom half of the driver's side blade skips.

The upper half of the blade, and the passenger blade, are fine and wipe without skipping. The dealership told me that no adjustment to the blade assembly was needed, so I'm at a total loss.

Any suggestions on how to make this stop?

valleyrider
02-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Bosch icon blades are best I've ever used, lasted me 4 years on the last pair without any streaks or skipping

billboard2001
02-06-2014, 06:13 PM
My car is a 2013 with about 13,000 miles.

At about 10,000 miles, I noticed that the bottom half of my driver's side wiper blade skipped/chattered. I figured it was due to age and replaced them with Anco blades. That didn't fix the issue, so I spent some more money on Goodyear blades.

No luck. So I tried DP glass sealant, rain-x, changing washer fluid, and even vinegar to remove and water spots (didn't see any).

So I recently bought Rain-X Latitude blades. I then clayed the windshield, did a 91% IPA wipe down, and still, the bottom half of the driver's side blade skips.

The upper half of the blade, and the passenger blade, are fine and wipe without skipping. The dealership told me that no adjustment to the blade assembly was needed, so I'm at a total loss.

Any suggestions on how to make this stop?

After all of those suspected problems that you tried I would think that it may be a mechanical issue perhaps? Maybe check the angle of the wiper against the windshield. Your description would lead me to believe it's a contact issue rather than a lubricant/grinding/wiper issue.

allenk4
02-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Some suggest applying whatever windshield sealant/coating you used to the wiper blades themselves.

HateSwirls
02-06-2014, 06:25 PM
I have the same problem, skipping but much better since I applied the DP Paint Sealant.
First I washed the windshield , clayed and applied the sealant.
I'll keep trying different blades.
This is on my truck.
Aggravating to say the least,good news is now with the sealant I don't use the wipers nearly as much when I get over 45MPH.

Keep trying mate:)

Rsurfer
02-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Thought I would save a few bucks and bought some Goodyear blades. Within a week the bottom side started to chatter. Went back to Bosch Icon's, problem solved.

ScottB
02-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Havent had the same luck with Bosch Icon's ... recently replaced with Rain-X Expert Fit. I get the same area of smear on the back sweep of the blade where the center support appears to weigh down the blade.

I haven't put Aquapel on lately, didn't have any issues when using it with even cheaper blades.

Old Tiger
02-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Thought I would save a few bucks and bought some Goodyear blades. Within a week the bottom side started to chatter. Went back to Bosch Icon's, problem solved.

I agree with Ron!

FUNX650
02-06-2014, 07:07 PM
After all of those suspected problems that you tried I would think that it may be a mechanical issue perhaps? Maybe check the angle of the wiper against the windshield. Your description would lead me to believe it's a contact issue rather than a lubricant/grinding/wiper issue.
^^^:iagree:^^^

Does sounds like an alignment issue.

Bob

Kyle_Elantra
02-06-2014, 07:12 PM
I tried the Icons with no luck.

I will go back to the dealer to have them check the mechanics again.

They blamed it on the blades because it's only half of one blade.

wlshephard
02-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Hi,
Have you machine polished the glass? Also the Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid solved my skipping issues. Let me know what fixes the problem.

Meticulous-Detail
02-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Bosch Icons are the best blades I ever used and have them on all my cars.

Brace1
02-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Bosch Icons are the best blades I ever used...

I agree with this. I got a couple of pairs when I found a really good deal from Amazon via slickdeals, wish I would've bought more since they are very expensive.

Rsurfer
02-06-2014, 09:14 PM
[quote=Kyle_Elantra;1039270]I tried the Icons with no luck.

Why didn't you say that in your original post? You went through 4 brand new set of blades?

MarkD51
02-06-2014, 09:47 PM
This might be a shot in the dark, and I'm gonna take a guess here.

I could be wrong, but to me this sounds like excess spring pressure, or uneven wiper blade pressure on the Driver's Side Wiper Arm, and may be showing up as more pressure towards the bottom? Or lighter?

Can you look closely at the Wiper Blade itself, and note any difference in compression on the blade itself with regards to thr glass contact area? Perhaps just a finger in between the Blade and the Glass might also help to determine whether there's a difference in the pressure of that Blade upon the Glass?

I'm sort of doubting that there is any tension adjustment of the Wiper Arm Spring within the Wiper Arm itself, but probably wouldn't hurt to look?

One other crazy fix, might be to see if you can swap-interchange the springs from one arm to the other?

Usually Wipe Arm Assemblies today are fairly easy to remove off the vehicle, and take a peek.

At this point, it seems like you're fresh out of ideas, and thought this might be worth looking into?
I know such can be quite aggravating.
Mark