PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: Which sealant/wax are you using on your black car?

Pages : [1] 2 3

cobrakillerta
07-06-2007, 04:09 PM
So over the past 2 days I've been attacking the car with the Porter Cable.

(Long read...)
I'm being SUPER anal with it and going very very slow, I'm just finishing up with Menzerna Intensive Polish w/ an Orange pad and will use Menzerna Final Polish and a White pad next. The paint on the car was actually in pretty good shape, but it still had swirls that would drive me NUTS when it was under parking lot lights at night, etc.

I have pretty much the entire Zaino line-up but honestly am still 50/50 with Zaino. Zaino just seems like it's too 'thin' and doesn't look like it's offering much protection. I've always read here and there on the boards of people saying that Zaino makes the car look like it's "wraped in saran wrap", I never really could understand that until lately and do realize what they mean, it's almost TOO crisp looking. That may be best for a lighter car, but on a black car like mine I think I need/like something 'deeper' looking.

I still have about a 1/2 bottle of Z2 & Z5 left but was thinking of switching to something else, especially now since I'm starting fresh. With all the different Zaino options it's sort of a pain in the ass, Z2, Z5 and the newer Z-CS & Z-AIO, I kind of want a single product that I can put on and take right off that will give me a good deep shine and protect the cars finish. The car is garaged, never see's rain/snow and only comes out on nice sunny days so durability is not a HUGE concern as I pretty much polish/wax it everytime I wash...wish is basically after every other time I drive it, which is about once a week. I don't think I want anything with an abrasive in it as I'm starting off with a fresh finish and feel that using an abrasive polish can/will just create more swirls and marks after a while.

I'm thinking I may want something which I can layer as I tend to/like to add to the finish everytime I was the car. If that is actually not the best to do or somehwat unneeded then I will stop doing that.

So, with all of that being said...
What do all you guys recommend?
Why/when use a sealant vs. wax and vice versa?

After you park the car at the end of the day and it's dusty how do you take care of it? Detail spray and microfiber, car duster, etc.?

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I did a black g6, owner didn;t want to cough up anything for correction / claying so I only got to do 101/601/105.. below are some pics.

DG is easy to use, great durability and is layerable like you want
http://i8.tinypic.com/539lbap.jpg
http://i17.tinypic.com/4mwbdhw.jpg
http://i15.tinypic.com/68bkmer.jpg

rwisejr
07-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I was using Zaino and it looked great .I think most of why people say it looks like its wrapped in saran wrap is because i feel most users keep adding layers on top of layers. I found it looked its best using Zaio then 2 layers of z5 pro and 1 layer of z2 pro all zfxed. this way it gave a more nuba type deep wet shine not artificial. As of this moment i'm trying out the prima line of products and so far I like it appears to give a more nuba look. I may attempt to layer a couple of coats of the Natty's red just to see how I like that.Car is a black MB CLK 320. But as far as the Zaino protection its like a rock it is so far the best in durability and protection in my book.Don't let the thin layer fool you.Most LSP are applied in a thin layer anyway.

orngez
07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
if you want something deep carnauba is the only real way to go...some sealants out there mimic the look well...like wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant...but in the end...for a black car nothing will beat the look of a good carnauba wax...souveran, petes53, 50/50, natty blue/red, etc

blue oval
07-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Yep......I'm using Duragloss also. Gives it a very deep black shine. Like you can put your hand down in it clear up to your wrist. I use nothing else [but] Duragloss. :D

supercharged
07-06-2007, 04:51 PM
If you want a killer sealant/wax combo it would be Four Star UPP topped with Souveran paste!:righton: Souveran by itself is an outstanding wax.
not sure about 4* UPP durability, but you might wanna consider adding Polycharger if you want better durability from that sealant.

cobrakillerta
07-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations so far...keep them coming!

What about some of the Meguiars line, such as #7, #26 (I believe paste is favored over the liquid version, correct?) NXT, etc.?
I do like that the Meguiars stuff is readily available, but that is not a HUGE concern.

Also, Why/when use a sealant vs. wax and vice versa?

bambo2888
07-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Well, the sealant is what gives the durability, for wax on its own will not last nearly as long. Carnauba wax, however, gives a weter, deeper shine for the solids and in smaller doses, awesome effects to metallics and pearls. So, to get each aspect, you kind of have to give a little. Since "giving a little" is not in my vocab, I use both and it works like a charm everytime. Based on my sub-tropical location, I observe 3 weeks with Souveran/Sig. Series II and about 2 months with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

I'll do my WG DGPS every 2-3 months, or so, and top it with SSII. Just about everyday, I use CM spray to keep the shine and make the end-of-the-week cleanup nice and easy.

As for the Megs, some really do swear by it, but I have preferences elsewhere, like with any of the PBMA brands, they are just superior, in my opinion.

I would honestly suggest doing 2 coats of WG DGPS, let it cure over night, and apply a coat of Souveran in the morning. Then, keep the Souveran up as you'd like. Since its a pure ivory carnauba (which is the most refined carnauba), it'll work awesome with layering it, as you indicated you wanted to do. The more layers, the better.

Good luck!

mywifehatesclowns
07-06-2007, 06:11 PM
If you prefer a nice wax....Wet Wax and Banana Magic from Auto Magic is Great stuff!

For Sealants....XP Seal IT or Awesome GLoss are decent for a shine and protection.

You could just use the Paint Sealant on bottom and then use Wet Wax on Top, the luster of a Wax and when it wears off you still have the durability of a sealant....give the sealant time to set in before applying wax though.

P1et
07-06-2007, 06:13 PM
I have Pete's '53 on my black Dodge and my wife's Explorer is wearing P21S. Both look fantastic!

ScottB
07-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Four Star UPP (Zaino Clone) and Souveran Paste

cobrakillerta
07-06-2007, 06:48 PM
So Souveran is looking pretty good so far!
I've seen it mentioned quite a bit for black cars like mine.

I see that "Za..." is spoken well of also, I may just stick with it for now until I finish what I have since I don't have a big budget to work with and spent enough already on what's on my shelf.
Could the Souveran be applied on top of 2 or 3 coats of a sealant such as Z5?
Which form of the Souveran/waxes in general is preferred, liquid or paste?
Also, Souveran vs. Signature series II?

I've read on here that multiple layers of wax aren't the best and can actually 'yellow' over time? Would layering almost every wash be bad and have it's disadvantages (about once a week)?

cobrakillerta
07-06-2007, 06:53 PM
(For some reason I cannot edit my last post)

What would be the best quick detailer to finish off after Souveran or a wash?

ScottB
07-06-2007, 07:06 PM
1. Souveran Paste is the #1 choice , very different that the liquid.
2. Souveran doesnt yellow, most waxes wear out before it could happen, sounds like another myth started by the Zaino Zealots.
3. Souveran Booster Spray Wax works well on all waxes and sealants and has the trademark wet look that sealants just cannot mimic currently.

A1monky
07-06-2007, 07:08 PM
If you dont drive your black car much, and when you wash it you usually wax it also.
I would say just go with a Souveran paste. One layer and thats it...
Nothing will look better. And it will last at least 6-8 washes. That sounds durable enough for you. Since you rarely wash.
I own a black car also, and if it was not my daily driver I would only use Nuba. This is coming from someone who used to use Zaino religiously.
If you top this most recent polish job with a high quality nuba. You will never go back to zaino! Use the Z-5 up on cars that you have to drive everyday or wash alot.