PDA

View Full Version : Fall on ice: Enough excitement for the day.

Hoytman
02-05-2014, 03:10 PM
My parents live next to a church and the two lots converge on a nice sized little hill that's perfect for little kids to sled ride on. Not too small, but not too big either.

My son and I had just walked over to the parking lot of the church, my son was just walking back up the hill from his first trip down, when I glanced over and notice my dad walking down the lane. About the time I saw him, I glanced back at my son walking up the hill, then back at my dad when ...BAM...Dad hit the ground like a plow truck had just hit him. I mean when he fell he was straight as a stick and it was like he'd been bodyslammed or something. His feet actually flew up in the air as he hit the ground...like he was trying to do a back flip or something.

I yelled out to my son, "Dad just fell", and I began running towards him while simultaneously removing my cell phone from my pocket. I had to run down a hill, then back up another and across the yard to reach him at the lane. As I was running I had dialed 91...and was just about to finish the 911 dial and call as I approached him full bore when I heard him yelling (he heard me coming), "I'm ok...I'm ok...I've done checking things out and I'm ok...just help me get up".

Friends, let me tell you. My knees were knockin'. My dad's a big guy and I knew just how hard he had hit. Even as I type this I can see his head dip below his chest as he hit the ground. My heart sank because I just knew he had busted the back of his head open and was out cold from hitting the ground so hard.

Somehow...actually by the grace of God...he never hit his head, wasn't hurting anywhere, and only needed help getting up. I still can't believe it...I just knew he was out cold and possibly hemorraging from such a devastating blow. I'm talking Louisville slugger to the head and lights out my man...and he never even touched the ground with his head. Popped his back a little, but he said it wasn't hurting.

He's resting comfortably in his easy chair at the moment.

Thank you Jesus!!!

Paul Mitchell
02-05-2014, 03:35 PM
That's good news!

GenesisCoupe
02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Falling sucks, especially at an old age or when you are a heavy individual. I haven't fallen since December thankfully but had a few close calls on ice. Definately gotta be careful!

Mike Phillips
02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
I remember meeting you're Dad at the detailing class in Evansville, Indiana, this one....

Pictures with Dennis Gage at the Evansville Detailing Class (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/56464-pictures-dennis-gage-evansville-detailing-class.html)

That's him behind my right shoulder correct?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1585/Evansville001.jpg

Tell your dad I say "hi" and I'm glad to hear he's okay. I too have to be careful not to fall down as I could break my leg. Not the real one, the artificial one.

:xyxthumbs:

scshaysc
02-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Wow! Some would say he was lucky, I would say he was blessed.

Hoytman
02-05-2014, 03:55 PM
I remember meeting you're Dad at the detailing class in Evansville, Indiana, this one....

Pictures with Dennis Gage at the Evansville Detailing Class (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/56464-pictures-dennis-gage-evansville-detailing-class.html)

That's him behind my right shoulder correct?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1585/Evansville001.jpg

Tell your dad I say "hi" and I'm glad to hear he's okay. I too have to be careful not to fall down as I could break my leg. Not the real one, the artificial one.

:xyxthumbs:

Actually, that's my mom's brother that came to Evansville with me...but hey, I'll tell dad you said hello anyway. LOL!! Nice j/k Mike...LOL!!!

Reminds me of the time...

One winter I asked my dad's brother for a pair of gloves; except he had no hands. I felt like Tom Thumb when I realized what I said to him. He held his arms and stubbs up in the air and with a big grin underneath his big walrus mustache he said, "What in the hell would I need em' for", then he slapped me on the back laughing just as hard as he could laugh.

I was about 19 then and I think he realized then that my view of him was that of a normal man. Miss that ol' bird. He died much too young (11 years ago at age 46) doing what he loved...operating heavy equipment (22yrs). Yep, no hands and had a fake leg too. He was my greatest inspiration in life.

Thanks for the kind words gang.

FUNX650
02-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Whew!!
Glad your Father is OK.

Reminds me of the old saying:
Hit the ground running!

:)

Bob

Hoytman
02-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Whew!!
Glad your Father is OK.

Thanks, Bob.

07gtcs
02-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Glad he is ok unlike me. I fell three weeks ago and broke my wrist.

Gen9Rolla
02-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Hopefully everyone takes this as a warning to be careful this winter. Falling on ice is a serious issue, and I'm glad your dad is alright!

Eric@CherryOnTop
02-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Glad he is ok.

I am paramedic full time (outside of my detailing side business) and would offer you the following advice. If he is on any blood thinners like Coumadin or plavix, it would not be a bad idea for him to go to the ER for a head CT. A small bleed inside of the brain as a result of this type of injury can get very serious very quickly. Even if he is not on these medications pay attention for signs over the next two weeks or so such as change in mental status, blurred vision, headache, sensitivity to light, etc. Sometimes a bleed in the grain is very small and might not even show up on a CT scan immediately after the injury, but can continue to bleed slowly and gradually over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PA DETAILER
02-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Thank god. You should see our lot at work! Yesterday it felt like a off road park. I felt bad with anyone driving a car. Not to mention the slip/fall hazard. For a supposed multi million dollar company, it really looks sad on their part.

Hoytman
02-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. Dad is doing fine.