PDA

View Full Version : 3401 vrg as a birthday present

Malborex
02-04-2014, 12:46 PM
In June i turn 30 and my Aunt and Uncle want to give me this flex as a present. I already own a Makita Cb9227 and a Buff Daddy DA Polisher, booth with all needed backingplates from 75-150mm. I buffed once a
VW Crafter (http://www.volkswagen-nutzfahrzeuge.de/de/modelle/crafter_kastenwagen.html) with this maschine, took me 6 hours and the truck was as good as new, for a leasing truck :laughing:. I like the machine but i'm not sure if i really need it. It's just my hobby and with the makita and the buff daddy i can do everything, i think.

Please give me some advices why i should own this machine, besides that it's a flex and will probably outlive me.

Greets Malborex

Deviant Detail
02-04-2014, 12:58 PM
I enjoy mine, but some people cannot get use to the forced rotation and rotation direction that the Flex uses. That's probably first thing you will either happily accept or else try to overcome.

lawrenceSA
02-04-2014, 01:13 PM
I enjoy mine, but some people cannot get use to the forced rotation and rotation direction that the Flex uses. That's probably first thing you will either happily accept or else try to overcome.

Please can someone try and explain this concept.

Does the machine pull to a side or something? I am looking at one in the future and would like to understand what I am getting into.

What is the technique to be used and what is to be expected for someone with only DA experience?

tpr1634
02-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Awesome gift, awesome tool:buffing:

Deviant Detail
02-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Please can someone try and explain this concept.

Does the machine pull to a side or something? I am looking at one in the future and would like to understand what I am getting into.

What is the technique to be used and what is to be expected for someone with only DA experience?

This model rotates opposite of how the others do. Forced rotation is owned to the geared backing plate to the geared housing assembly, in other words, it does not freewheel—when the tool stops so does the pad. Like any tool, you will have to experience it firsthand to arrive at your own conclusions and to learn how to handle it. I had no issues using it right away, but others cannot stand the forced rotation and opposite rotation.

lawrenceSA
02-04-2014, 02:14 PM
This model rotates opposite of how the others do. Forced rotation is owned to the geared backing plate to the geared housing assembly, in other words, it does not freewheel—when the tool stops so does the pad. Like any tool, you will have to experience it firsthand to arrive at your own conclusions and to learn how to handle it. I had no issues using it right away, but others cannot stand the forced rotation and opposite rotation.

Thanks for this.

I guess it would be something like having to lean into it when moving left and reigning it in when going right?

02-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks for this.

I guess it would be something like having to lean into it when moving left and reigning it in when going right?

Key to the Flex is keep the pad flat!

HateSwirls
02-04-2014, 02:57 PM
It's a cool machine, very powerful.
Someone I know has one, it took me less than an hour to learn it, he gave me a go with it.
If not for my rotary I'd get one.
Some say thay walk away from you but that wasn't a real big issue for me.

If you can handle a rotary you should have no problem with the 3401.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AG Online

Harry Da Hamster
02-04-2014, 03:34 PM
I can understand the forced rotation thing and the polisher kicking but that's mostly a technique issue. I do not understand peoples concern about reverse rotation though. Maybe cause i'm a lefty???

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-05-2014, 01:51 AM
Please give me some advices why i should own this machine, besides that it's a flex and will probably outlive me.

I really love my Flex and my opinion is biased towards it.

It is a Flex. It is German made. You cant stop it from rotating. Coupled with Menzerna polishes and LC Hybrid pads its a match made in heaven. Did I mention it is a quality German engineered and manufactured tool?

Kamakaz1961
02-09-2014, 02:16 PM
I might be a little late for this thread but I love the Flex 3401VRG. The machine is very powerful and you can get used to using it. It will cut about 25% to 40% of polishing time compared to a PC7424 XP (which I still like too). The Flex is my Beast machine to get the major swirls and 2 Step polishing. The PC 7424 XP is too, however, the Flex will do it faster. The Flex is one great machine and with all the different backing plates available it is very versatile too. I hope my 2 cents worth is OK...LOL