PDA

View Full Version : clear bra

Pages : [1] 2

asalesagent912
02-03-2014, 09:31 PM
was wondering if anyone here has installed clear bra themselves.
i travel on an expressway to work and my car bumper just gets beat up
by little rocks and road rash. alot of trucks and trailers. it really sucks when ur stuck behind one. i see that the car dealers install these clear bras but was wondering if u csn buy urself and how hard or easy it is to install

HD.Detailing
02-03-2014, 10:06 PM
most car dealers sub it out.. You can buy the kit.. will need a heat gun, felt covered squeegee, a lot of patience, and clean off all wax/sealants, etc.. and that is all i know.. I'm sure you could try yourself and see how it goes as most charge a lot to put these on. Watch some youtube videos

asalesagent912
02-03-2014, 10:09 PM
most car dealers sub it out.. You can buy the kit.. will need a heat gun, felt covered squeegee, a lot of patience, and clean off all wax/sealants, etc.. and that is all i know.. I'm sure you could try yourself and see how it goes as most charge a lot to put these on. Watch some youtube videos
thanks for ur input

HD.Detailing
02-03-2014, 10:43 PM
I will tell you I have one on the Z and love it

Billand
02-04-2014, 12:13 AM
I can tell you from experience take it to a pro don't do it your self I went to classes and have installed several clear bras bumpers are a pain hoods and fenders aren't to bad but take it to a pro.

Ask what warranty they offer product and ask to see some work because I have seen people do hack jobs and charge for it

Woob
02-04-2014, 12:10 PM
To do it permanently and high quality, hire a pro to save you hours of yelling. For something you might redo, DIY. There is a big difference in installer quality at the end of the day.

Deviant Detail
02-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Repair all your road rash and chips and then have the PPF applied. I have done an install on my son's new vehicle and although I have the patience to do it, my son does not. You can do it, but you will need to study-up on the subject, buy the right tools, and have the correct solutions mixed to apply the film. One huge advantage is a steamer; I have a Dupray Hill Injection. There a myriad of tricks that come with time and experience and if you attempt to do it yourself have another person (with patience) help you.

However, as others have mentioned, having someone that does this for a living pays off in both time and results. If you have someone else install it, look for the best as the extra money is worth it. I will not own a vehicle without PPF installed—it really saves your vehicle's finish.

Perfessor
02-04-2014, 01:05 PM
You can check out this coating system - 3M Paint Defender Total Application System, 3M Paint Defender Spray Film (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-paint-defender-application.html)

I haven't used it (yet), but it looks easy enough.

Evan.J
02-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Pay to have it professionally done.

To work with clear bra and get the results you want and expect will come from a pro who has been in the business for some time. Having the right kits the best film, knowlegde of the application process, and along with the right tools, gels, and solutions will go a long way.

Its more than just laying down the film, its about being able to over come obstacles that come up like when film gets bunched up in a area they are called fingers. If the fingers are not worked out properly then you can put a crease in the film. Also knowing how to keep you film from silver the adhesive underneath.

PPF is a very meticulous form of art IMO and takes a long time to really know how to do it properly. With all the curves and cuts of bumpers on cars now it can be a nightmare if you dont know what your doing.

I can say that if you are going to have your car done do all the prep work and polish out the paint to perfection prior to application of the film. This will make the film less visible and make the car look more uniform.

Where are you located?

asalesagent912
02-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Pay to have it professionally done.

To work with clear bra and get the results you want and expect will come from a pro who has been in the business for some time. Having the right kits the best film, knowlegde of the application process, and along with the right tools, gels, and solutions will go a long way.

Its more than just laying down the film, its about being able to over come obstacles that come up like when film gets bunched up in a area they are called fingers. If the fingers are not worked out properly then you can put a crease in the film. Also knowing how to keep you film from silver the adhesive underneath.

PPF is a very meticulous form of art IMO and takes a long time to really know how to do it properly. With all the curves and cuts of bumpers on cars now it can be a nightmare if you dont know what your doing.

I can say that if you are going to have your car done do all the prep work and polish out the paint to perfection prior to application of the film. This will make the film less visible and make the car look more uniform.

Where are you located?
staten island n.y

asalesagent912
02-04-2014, 03:51 PM
i want to thank all of you that responded.

master detailer
02-04-2014, 04:02 PM
dont do it.they dont last and then you have to pay to get them off. 1500.on and 1000 to get off.We farm it out.and lol when we give them the bill.cheaper to repaint.

asalesagent912
02-04-2014, 04:05 PM
dont do it.they dont last and then you have to pay to get them off. 1500.on and 1000 to get off.We farm it out.and lol when we give them the bill.cheaper to repaint.
wow thats what they cost to install 1000?

Woob
02-06-2014, 05:51 PM
All depends on how much coverage you are doing and the installer film/cost/region. Bad films don't come off correctly. A good installer knows the proper method to remove an older film. If it's brittle and cracking be prepared for the worse.

HD.Detailing
02-06-2014, 10:35 PM
I paid 800 in indianapolis, cheap ppf will yellow and not last.. mine is just as good as day 1.. have had it for 4 years and take care of it as I do the paint.

It does have a couple ugly nicks from rocks.. but better on that than the paint, so I guess it's working