PDA

View Full Version : Question on Product/Pads for boat

mgh
02-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Hello,

I have been doing some research for quite sometime on the forums.

I have a Gelcoat fiberglass boat with painted graphics on the side, and overall the finish is a 8.5/10 for being a 15 year old boat. Very minimal imperfections on the gelcoat and paint (boat is stored inside and never left in water).

I am looking for feedback on the finish products I should purchase and pads as well.

I have the 7424xp.

Looking to purchase

5" backing plate
lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

Possibly the Marine 31 all-in-one polish/wax finish

Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish and Wax, all in one boat polish wax, boat cleaner wax (http://www.autogeek.net/marine-31-polish-and-wax.html)

I have a question about which pad should I use with the all-in-one polish/wax??

What about purchasing this product below, will it be overkill as my boat does not suffer from heavy oxidation? If so, what pad should I use with this heavy oxidation product?

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax, best boat cleaner wax, gel coat cleaner wax (http://www.autogeek.net/best-boat-cleaner-wax.html)

I also purchased from my local supplier a bottle of Wizards

Wizards Products Store :: Automotive :: Appearance Products :: Shine Master Polish 16 oz (http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store/catalog/Shine-Master-Polish-16-oz-p-17.html)

Should I even bother with the wizards as a final step? If so, what pad with this product as well

Should I be considering a wool pad at all in this process? I know the PC does not have the power as a dewalt, is it a wasted effort and I should just stick with foam

Thanks for all the help to my questions

STPETEDALE
02-03-2014, 04:37 PM
I would imagine your boat had graphics painted /air brushed then entire hull clear coated??? If so, then the portacable is sufficient to get job done. A car or boat All in one should get you the results you're looking for. Can't go wrong with a coat of Rejex. I like the LC orange pads for AIO.Without pics thats all I can offer.

Hoytman
02-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Perhaps you could tell us what you're looking to accomplish. That'll give folks more of an idea of which products you might need. As far as the brand of products, I've never used Marine 31, but I think they will be a fine choice. You just need to speak with someone from the AG staff as to which product from that line will suit your needs. Others will chime in as well, but don't get caught up on brands as most will work. Find one you think you will like and go with it. I have full confidence that Marine31 will fill the bill nicely.

If the boat is as you described it is my opinion that your PC will work just fine for what you need...IF it's indeed an 8.5 of 10. If it's not, then you may need more power, but a picture would be a big help to those that may reply.

Welcome to the forum.

mgh
02-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Thank you both for the responses.

The boat is gel coat with painted on graphics with a clear over the graphics on the side of the boat.

I read and see a lot of people recommending wool pads on gel coat.

The all-in-one, should I use the wool pad on my PC or use a orange CCS? Will the orange provide a nice polish with the all in one, or will I be required to use a white or black pad with a sealant (wax) after using the all in one. So basically a two step approach?

What about the wool pink thin pads from Lake Country?

The deck of the boat does have a little bit of haze, and I mean little bit..deffinetly a lot better than the subject boats on the forums I have been browsing through.

mgh
02-05-2014, 05:02 PM
I also have the Meg's Flagship Premium Wax that I can use as a last topper product...

David at LC Pads
02-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Thank you both for the responses.

The boat is gel coat with painted on graphics with a clear over the graphics on the side of the boat.

I read and see a lot of people recommending wool pads on gel coat.

The all-in-one, should I use the wool pad on my PC or use a orange CCS? Will the orange provide a nice polish with the all in one, or will I be required to use a white or black pad with a sealant (wax) after using the all in one. So basically a two step approach?

What about the wool pink thin pads from Lake Country?

The deck of the boat does have a little bit of haze, and I mean little bit..deffinetly a lot better than the subject boats on the forums I have been browsing through.

So I understand correctly, the whole side of the boat was re-cleared or just clear over the graphics?

Pictures of the actual condition will help for guidance also.

STPETEDALE
02-05-2014, 06:37 PM
I know several owners who elected to base/clearcoat their boats. It was cheaper then polishing and then keeping up on the gel coat.They look fantastic and alot less maintance.If that is correct then there should be no oxidizing. From your description of condition I would say no on wool pad. The orange foam pads have enough bite to correct and finish nice. To keep it simple Megs 105 and 205 are a perfect match since you are just polishing clear.Since it is stored out of elements I would suggest 1/2 coats of rejex.Hopefully I didn't assume to much and this was helpful. I would hope you would post pics of before and afters.