PDA

View Full Version : Colgate’s new winterfresh ingredient? Why antifreeze of course…

Thejoyofdriving
07-06-2007, 01:58 AM
The FDA and Colgate–Palmolive issued warnings this week about counterfeit Colgate toothpaste which may contain a poisonous substance. Thus far, the toothpaste has been discovered in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland. Apparently, this product does not contain fluoride. Instead, it contains Diethylene Glycol (DEG). DEG is often described by its more layman’s term: antifreeze.
anti-freeze, is a toxic substance that could, even in small amounts, harm children or those with compromised health, yet it is routinely used in Chinese toothpaste destined for domestic consumption. Evidently, nearly one million tubes of this Chinese toothpaste found their way into American institutions.Doug Arbesfeld, an FDA official, said that testing had found the chemical in a product bearing Colgate label.
The FDA pointed out an important method of distinguishing the bogus toothpaste:

For alert consumers it should be easy to identify the problem tubes as the counterfeit packages examined so far have several misspellings including: “isclinically” “SOUTH AFRLCA” “South African Dental Assoxiation.”

The Company said in a statement that (http://investor.colgate.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=249237&ReleaseType=Company&ReleaseDate=%7Bts%20%272007-06-15%2000:00:00%27%7D&header=&Archive=) it does not use Diethylene Glycol as an ingredient in Colgate toothpaste anywhere in the world nor does it import toothpaste from South Africa into the United States.

It said no illnesses have been reported to date.

klumzypinoy
07-06-2007, 03:31 AM
THanks for the heads up! Not only designer brands, movies, video games, etc are counterfeited, now toothpaste is. That's insane.

tod071
07-06-2007, 03:34 AM
Just don't buy your Colgate toothpaste from the local 99cent or even the dollar store, where the fake stuff was found.

ScottB
07-06-2007, 06:06 AM
it wasnt just Colgate ... here locally they found more than several brands at the dollar store with anti-freeze ingredient. Mostly from China they offered.

Thejoyofdriving
07-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Maybe the chinese know something we dont :p who knows they might have discovered some secret anti cavity properties, or maybe they put it in there so the tooth paste wont freeze when you are brushing your teeth in the -40 chinese winter. But really, ###, why are they putting anti frezze in there?

Thejoyofdriving
07-06-2007, 02:22 PM
one thing that i dont like is colgates statement " does not use Diethylene Glycol as an ingredient in Colgate toothpaste anywhere in the world nor does it import toothpaste from South Africa into the United States." notice how they said that they do not import toothpaste from SA in to the US, that means that they might be importing toothpaste from SA to europe or canada!

supercharged
07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
it wasnt just Colgate ... here locally they found more than several brands at the dollar store with anti-freeze ingredient. Mostly from China they offered.
Hmmm...very interesting.
Again you get what you pay for. Maybe it's turtle wax brand...:D :p

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
I was pretty sure I heard on NPR that a lot of these tubes went to correction facilities as wel??

dengood1
07-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Hmmm, Isn't China over populated:confused: Just a thought:eek: Not a good way to "fix" that problem!! First it was pet food, now this:rolleyes:

supercharged
07-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Hmmm, Isn't China over populated:confused: Just a thought:eek: Not a good way to "fix" that problem!! First it was pet food, now this:rolleyes:
I know, and overpolulation makes it not making the best quality products (just compare it VS Japan). Anyway, when I buy anything I look at label where its made, and I do prefer other countries...;)

Reddwarf
07-06-2007, 08:43 PM
I head about this on The Cobert Report on Comedy Central. He said "the good news is you can get your teeth checked at Jiffy Lube". LOL!

Thejoyofdriving
07-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Why dont they just use water, its cheaper than antifreeze.