PDA

View Full Version : how many of you detailing without insurance?

Pages : [1] 2

VISITOR
02-02-2014, 12:54 AM
how many of you are detailing without (liability) insurance? I'm sure many on here do side jobs and/or as a hobby and make a few bucks here and there, but how many of you still have insurance just in case? would like to here both sides of the coin...

Pureshine
02-02-2014, 01:23 AM
I wouldn't do this job with out it. If your doing this for a living then you should have it. If your only doing friends and family then you will probably be ok with out it. I'm not risking damaging a 100k car and having to pay for it out of my pocket. I have a pick up and drop off service so I have to have insurance.

Vegas Transplant
02-02-2014, 03:38 AM
I've always been more curious of those that may have had liability and such in the past, but later dropped their policies for whatever reason. Even more so than those that were never insured.

tpr1634
02-02-2014, 07:03 AM
I do a few vehicles by word of mouth here and there, if I had to pay for insurance it would not be worth it. I would not do a 100,000 dollar car but then again I don't make my living at this. If I ever went big time then yes I would have it, as a weekend warrior no.:buffing:

dcjredline
02-02-2014, 09:21 AM
I have yet to do anything for a "Customer" over an AIO correction. Just friends and families, I wont get insurance until I can line up many multi-step and or expensive cars. I also do not do this for a living.

wrb_subie
02-02-2014, 09:50 AM
I didn't insure myself last year but the more I read the more I thought to myself that it's not a good idea to do without. I'm an enthusiast that through word of mouth has gotten work from people I don't know. Because of this I keep liability and garage keepers.

HD.Detailing
02-02-2014, 10:00 AM
no insurance.. no offense to anyone, but really shouldn't be causing damage with detailing unless you totally don't have any idea what you are doing... but, I am LLC'd so as far as protection goes I'm "covered"

Now IF I had a shop I might be more tempted to get it, but prob still wouldn't and not allow customer's in my garage

FUNX650
02-02-2014, 10:57 AM
I notice that $100,000.00 is an often stated "cut-off figure" for determining the worthiness of vehicles...
and, therefore, in having some kind of detailing-insurance or not.

That's great if a person doesn't have to be worried about any
out-of-pocket expenses towards less expensive, perhaps even thought to be: "Less worthy" vehicles.

I personally would not want to be held liable for any vehicle...regardless their sticker price or perceived value.

Bob

Pureshine
02-02-2014, 11:09 AM
I notice that $100,000.00 is an often stated "cut-off figure" for determining the worthiness of vehicles...
and, therefore, in having some kind of detailing-insurance or not.

That's great if a person doesn't have to be worried about any
out-of-pocket expenses towards less expensive, perhaps even thought to be: "Less worthy" vehicles.

I personally would not want to be held liable for any vehicle...regardless their sticker price or perceived value.

Bob

:iagree:

2old2change
02-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Here is another good thread about insurance with links to additional threads in Bob's reply.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/61120-detailing-without-insurance.html

Znig22
02-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Statefarm, with enough insurance to cover any car i will ever land. $1824.00 a year.

2old2change
02-02-2014, 11:23 AM
no insurance.. no offense to anyone, but really shouldn't be causing damage with detailing unless you totally don't have any idea what you are doing... but, I am LLC'd so as far as protection goes I'm "covered"

Now IF I had a shop I might be more tempted to get it, but prob still wouldn't and not allow customer's in my garage

It doesn't have to be a claim on something you did. For example a customer claims a product you used on their interior caused their kid to become sick or they claim you damaged their navigation screen while cleaning. These claims may be bogus but in todays litigious world people know no limits. It's a shame but one must CYA as they say.

HD.Detailing
02-02-2014, 11:45 AM
It doesn't have to be a claim on something you did. For example a customer claims a product you used on their interior caused their kid to become sick or they claim you damaged their navigation screen while cleaning. These claims may be bogus but in todays litigious world people know no limits. It's a shame but one must CYA as they say.

I see your point, I have customers sign a check in sheet too...

"The customer indemnifies and holds harmless against any and all liability, loss damage, expense (including legal expenses), causes of action, suits, claims, or judgments arising from loss or damage of any nature whatsoever. "

That is why I have an LLC, so if someone tries to pull some crap they sue the LLC, my personal assets are protected and they will never collect on any BS suit.

wrb_subie
02-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Then why have an llc if you have everyone sign a waiver? Nothing personal to you but if I payed to have my car detailed and you wanted me to sign a waiver that you have zero liability I'd walk.

Perhaps I read your post wrong but that's what I took from it.

Paul Mitchell
02-02-2014, 01:50 PM
I see your point, I have customers sign a check in sheet too...

"The customer indemnifies and holds harmless against any and all liability, loss damage, expense (including legal expenses), causes of action, suits, claims, or judgments arising from loss or damage of any nature whatsoever. "

That is why I have an LLC, so if someone tries to pull some crap they sue the LLC, my personal assets are protected and they will never collect on any BS suit.

The above waiver is considered an exculpatory clause which is subject to the laws of the state in which it is written as some states are more lenient than others. The courts can determine the exculpatory clause invalid if it is considered unreasonable. It would be wise for any detailer to check with an attorney regarding exculpatory clauses in contracts in your state. One of the benefits of having insurance is your insurance company will most often pay for the attorneys fees if you are sued even if you lose. Even though you may have an LLC you can still be personally sued and end up paying an attorney to appear in court and have you, and your wife if married, released from the suit.