PDA

View Full Version : Question about a wax

Pages : [1] 2

longbal30
01-31-2014, 05:32 PM
I have a black 2013 ram, and it has to be the worst paint I have ever had to deal with. Clear is so soft it will swirl if you look at it wrong. I buffed it out this past fall with the Wolfgang duo, it came out great, but now after this dismal winter and all this salt, it has some scratching, plus I had to take it through a car wash, and of course that lead to swirls again.

So here is my question, what wax can I use that has fillers to hide the swirls. I can't keep buffing this thing out every 4-6 months. I won't have any clear left after a couple years lol. It's a daily driver, and while I love a nice clean car, and I don't mind buffing it out and waxing it, it's huge and it takes hours upon hours to do it right. I 2 bucket wash, dry with the guzzler doing horizontal strokes and seal with klasse every 6 months.

VISITOR
01-31-2014, 05:40 PM
you can always use an AIO which will help clean, fill and protect the paint...

Just02896
01-31-2014, 05:44 PM
I have a black 2013 ram, and it has to be the worst paint I have ever had to deal with. Clear is so soft it will swirl if you look at it wrong. I buffed it out this past fall with the Wolfgang duo, it came out great, but now after this dismal winter and all this salt, it has some scratching, plus I had to take it through a car wash, and of course that lead to swirls again.

So here is my question, what wax can I use that has fillers to hide the swirls. I can't keep buffing this thing out every 4-6 months. I won't have any clear left after a couple years lol. It's a daily driver, and while I love a nice clean car, and I don't mind buffing it out and waxing it, it's huge and it takes hours upon hours to do it right. I 2 bucket wash, dry with the guzzler doing horizontal strokes and seal with klasse every 6 months.

I have a black 2012 Ram. Two things I can recommend. 1) consider a forced air method of drying after washing. And 2) consider a coating in place of a wax or sealant!

It's odd to me that you consider your paint to be soft. In fact chrysler paint had always been a super hard paint for as far back as I can remember. My paint easily gets stone chips on the front leading edge of the hood during winters and the paint is not easy to compound.

Bunky
01-31-2014, 05:53 PM
If you have corrected it, are you sure it was swirl free before it was sealed. Most LSP's will hide swirls to varying degrees. If it was near perfect, as said above you should look at your washing and drying process. You can also refresh your lsp more often. You can use all the right products but using them incorrectly can induce swirls. Do you see straight line marring?

jankerson
01-31-2014, 06:29 PM

Dodge paint is on the harder side....

Black does however show every little defect, black is tough to keep perfect, it's the hardest color there is to keep looking right.

The thing to do is get some WG Uber Compund and compound it out removing all of the swirls. Then Use the WG Finishing Glaze to Polish it out.

You can use WG DGPS after that, 2 or 3 coats 24 hours apart. Then Use WG DG Spritz after each wash as a drying aid.

Now once it's right an AIO or Cleaner Sealant would be best to help maintain. Combined with the right pads it will keep the truck looking good. Something like Megs M20 for a cleaner sealant or XMT 360 for an AIO.

Also look into using a Carnauba Wax Like WG Fuzion or Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax or even Megs M26 to top the sealant.

Or even better a Coating as was mentioned.

Bill1234
01-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Ive been working with black ever since I started. I recommend to wash the whole car down, then clay and clean up any missed areas. Use a 1 step light compound such as ultimate compound or m205 and then wax such as collinite 845 or 476

longbal30
01-31-2014, 06:55 PM
Yeah it's a pain, but it's not my first black truck. My last truck was a 2008 ford drw, and getting it right was tedious, but once there, keeping it right was easy peesey. I used a super bright electrical linesman light to check swirls after buffing and it looked good. So I know these swirls are new. One of them is so bad, it looked like someone leaned against my bed with the salt on it and left a nasty swirl. I will try the above methods and see what works. Thanks for the input. I have experience with this stuff, but don't do it for a living like some of you. I have painted 10 Harley's and 2 cars, so wet sanding and compounding are a easy process for me.

longbal30
01-31-2014, 07:26 PM
I did use a aio as well. I did the klasse aio/sealent.

TundraPower
01-31-2014, 07:26 PM
Auto Finesse Tripple is an amazing AIO product. The "protection" part of the "AIO" is rather weak so wax or seal after using it. Marvelous product.

HateSwirls
01-31-2014, 07:59 PM
I feel your pain, I can buff out almost every swirl only to see them a few months later , drives me crazy, I really HateSwirls.

CG'S EZ Cream Glaze works wonders to hide my swirls on my black SS paint, not sure how if it would work the same on CC's.
It's short lived as most glazes but for me no biggie because after every full wash I simply apply the EZ, doesn't take no time to do it.

What drives me nuts is the fact I foam it down twice then rinse.
Foam again, then spray each section with a good QD for extra lube, I carefully and gently wash each panel using 2BM with grit guards.
When it's time to dry the car I either mist the entire car with a DS or RW when it's time to dry the car.
There is nothing more I can to prevent swirls on this car.

It's my wife's DD but treat it like a garage queen even though it's an avg. car.
In most cases I can get away by using 205 with a fine polishing pad.

All we can do is try, make good practice washing and almost important drying.

BlackRam
01-31-2014, 09:54 PM
Also 2013 Black Ram owner here. I treat it like a prinfefess and in the right light i can stil see swirls. p*sses me off to no end.

HD.Detailing
01-31-2014, 10:16 PM
i almost never touch my black car when drying.. blow dry then QD and blotch remaining wet areas with WW towel.

also when washing I wash top panels first (hood/roof/trunk), then tops of the sides 2nd, then bottom half of sides 3rd, rear 4th, front last.. rinsing after each section/panel

Black car stay swirl free.. granted garage queen.. I do feel your pain though!

Legumes
02-01-2014, 05:53 AM
With your soft paint, I think your truck is the perfect candidate for a long-lasting coating like Opticoat.

Rod
02-01-2014, 08:09 AM
I have to agree with Legumes here. You should do a full detail and then go for a long lasting coating like the Opti he mentions or I would choose Cquartz UK or Finnest if possible better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackRam
02-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I will be doing a coating once it gets warmer. i bought the truck in october and I didnt know anything about autogeek and detailing then. My question is I do not have a DA, I am looking to do a correction and then coat it with either Cquartz or 22vple. can i polish it by hand? i dont want to spend $125 plus on a DA since I would hardly be using it. (the truck is in great condition to the non autogeekian, a few scratches from BS or barley visible marring which only we notice)