PDA

View Full Version : RUPES should make some videos on correcting curved panels...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

RaskyR1
01-30-2014, 03:22 PM
I must be the only one that doesn't have this problem. I have the 21, 15, Duetto, and Mini and none of them have issues on curved panels. I polish very slowly with very little pressure though.

:dunno:

No, I don't really have any issues either. On a rare occasion an area may require the LHR75 or my G110v2, but I use those tools on he bumper covers/pillars anyway so I don't see it as an issue.

Since all cars are unique I'm not sure how much help a video would be either tbh.

Mike Phillips
01-30-2014, 03:28 PM
I used the Duetto with Rupes pads and experienced the same slow/stoppage on his pickup. It is a design issue as all their devices suffer from it.

This is my experience too. The Rupes polishers have no problems when buffing flat panels but when it comes to curves, both concave and convex, the different pressure being applied to only portions of the face of the pad does slow and sometimes stop the pads from spinning.

The only way I'm able to continue buffing these areas is to adjust how I hold the body of the tool and adjust my pressure while watching the pad to make sure it continues to rotate.

At least this is what my own experience has been. That said I still like these tools for buffing out cars and the more I use them the better I get at using them.

I have a Corvette Stingray to buff out this Saturday, I have not decided what to use on it for tools, pads, products but I"m leaning towards the Duetto.

Just to note, here's the thread where parttimer was using the Rupes polishers on my truck. In the picture below, he's using the "prototype" of the Mini 12 that Rupes sent me back in April of 2013 along with the prototype Rupes Duetto.

Ready for the Mud! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/73409-ready-mud.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2174/Rupes_Coating_Monster_Truck_010.jpg

:)

Mike Phillips
01-30-2014, 03:32 PM
I wonder how many sales RUPES have lost because of the many online comments about having issues with curved panels, and people decide they don't want to deal with that and they buy another machine.

They should make a video starting with a new user of a RUPES 21 or 15 polishing a concave curved panel, with the backing plate marked so you can see the rotations stop.

Then have the RUPES person step in and show the different technique on that panel so the rotations don't stop, and then let the new user adjust their technique to show they can make it work.

It would be maybe a 5-10 minute video, and I guess it doesn't need to be done by RUPES. Seems there's an obvious need for it.

Making a Rupes video is on our short list of videos to make and I'll share this thread with Yancy so he's aware of what the people are asking to see in the video.

Since all cars are unique I'm not sure how much help a video would be either tbh.

I agree. That said, while all cars are unique they are made up of flat panels, (or mostly flat panels), convex or concave curves.

I'm confident we can get a swirled out car with a little of everything to use for the video. Currently I'm working on getting a couple of Ferrari's here for this video.

Harry Da Hamster
01-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Convex curves are not a problem for the Rupes. It's the concave panels where it has a problem, especially a multi-axis concave panel like the ones on my Porsche Cayenne. Picture below is not my vehicle, just pulled from a quick google search to illustrate the problem area on the lower half of the doors. D pillar and just above the headlight are also problem areas. A Rupes 21ES and 75E would be great. But for me, i might polish a car once every 1 or 2 months, and i live in an apartment, i don't want/need/have the space/have the budget for two high end polishers. So for me, i prefer the Flex 3401.

Forgot to include the picture...

Free spindle + long throw + edge only pad contact = no spin

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/porsche-cayenne-turbo-s-gets-22s-from-pur-photo-gallery_9.jpg

WRAPT C5Z06
01-30-2014, 04:33 PM
There are some areas of a car that are *impossible* to polish out with a Rupes(or any other random orbital), but CAN be polished with a 3401. I can't sum it up any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2old2change
01-30-2014, 07:34 PM
There are some areas of a car that are *impossible* to polish out with a Rupes(or any other random orbital), but CAN be polished with a 3401. I can't sum it up any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I can take a LHR75 or LHR75E to places a 3401 won't fit. :buffing:

WRAPT C5Z06
01-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Even with a 4" pad?

TundraPower
01-30-2014, 07:46 PM

I've had my Rupes Mini's in some mighty tight spots! Having said that I also regret some of those times. There are places that should not be polished by any machine other than the human hand.

2old2change
01-30-2014, 07:52 PM
I've had my Rupes Mini's in some mighty tight spots! Having said that I also regret some of those times. There are places that should not be polished by any machine other than the human hand.

Agreed. I love the LHR around fog lights , grills and spoilers with a three inch foam pad. Sorry Mark but even with a 4" pad on the 3401.

FUNX650
01-30-2014, 07:55 PM

Even with a 4" pad?

Agreed. I love the LHR around fog lights , grills and spoilers with a three inch foam pad. Sorry Mark but even with a 4" pad on the 3401.
I can: "Name That Tune" in...

Bob

SR99
01-30-2014, 08:09 PM

While I see your point, it's not that there's one single, precise positioning of the machine that only works on one-and-only-one exact-match panel. The machine position/technique for a concave panel on the rear corner of car A should also work for a roughly similarly-shaped panel on car B. After a person sees a couple examples of how to deal with something under a couple different conditions, they adapt what they learned to new situations. That was the thought with the video suggestion.

I'm sure you'll agree all the videos Mike has made are still useful to people even though he's generally working on older/classic cars that few of us have anything remotely close.

TundraPower
01-30-2014, 08:16 PM
I can: "Name That Tune" in... :) Bob

Bob, have you been in the Johnnie Walker Black Label again? What does "name that tune" mean?

VP Mark
01-30-2014, 08:33 PM
I have a 15 with the washer mod. With a foam pad I have no issues with lack of rotation on curved panels.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

FUNX650
01-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Bob, have you been in the Johnnie Walker Black Label again? What does "name that tune" mean?
That was the name of a game show that was on the air a few years ago.

-Contestants tried to guess the name of a tune, with hearing the fewest number of notes as possible.
-One would tell the host that: "I can guess that tune in xxx note(s)...
The other may have countered by saying:
"I can name that tune in xx note(s).
-And (as the discharged newsman was once fond of reporting):
"A good time was had by all!"

Sorry for any confusion...
You have to realize that I'm getting up there in years.

Now where in the name of sense did I put that Texas fifth of Black Jack?

Bob

WRAPT C5Z06
01-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to start a pissing match, bud! No way! :props: