PDA

View Full Version : is the Rupes LFR75E really worth $200 more then GG3"

Pages : [1] 2 3

KMG
01-30-2014, 08:41 AM
I am looking to pick up a 3" unit next month and was planning on getting the GG 3" unit, however I have been reading that it is pretty slow working and requires a lot of pressure to make it work correctly. How does the Rupes compare in these situations, and factoring in price is the Rupes really worth the extra $200? Being that I have bad shoulders, and have already had one back surgery I am looking to get something that will make the work easier.

So lets see what the opinions are! Feed back please

Just02896
01-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Just got my mini a few days ago but haven't had a chance to put it to work yet. Feels like a solid machine! I'm eager to try it out!

Evan.J
01-30-2014, 08:58 AM
I have the GG3 and its good for removing scratches and swirls in tight areas just takes a bit longer. I am going to be picking up the 75E because I love the way my 21 has been working and the performance it has given me.

Dont get me wrong you can do lots of work with GG3 just takes a bit longer but its a great wax spreader.

KMG
01-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Evan, so you have been pretty happy with your GG3. I am already ordering the Rupes 15, so I just wanted to see what people have to say regarding the performance of the rupes compared to the GG. That $200 can buy me a lot of other stuff if it isn't really worth the extra cost.

Evan.J
01-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Evan, so you have been pretty happy with your GG3. I am already ordering the Rupes 15, so I just wanted to see what people have to say regarding the performance of the rupes compared to the GG. That $200 can buy me a lot of other stuff if it isn't really worth the extra cost.

Yea I use mainly MF pads on it for the extra cut and it has worked great. I really like it for doing headlights when sanding and polishing.

KMG
01-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Yeah that was one of the big things I am planning to use it for also. Are you using Megs MF pads?

Evan.J
01-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Yeah that was one of the big things I am planning to use it for also. Are you using Megs MF pads?
Yep the little 3" Cutting pads and finishing pads. :dblthumb2:

runrun411
01-30-2014, 09:24 AM
I have a GG3 and it's only as good a speed 6. Seems like it doesn't do anything on any of the lower settings. Let us know how you like the Rupes when you get it.

KMG
01-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Yeah I was doing some reading and saw a lot of people commenting about needing to use it on speed 6 to do anything with it, which is why I started looking at the Rupes as another option. Plus I like how all the other Rupes require little to no pressure for correction. Is this an issue that you have notice with your GG also Evan?

tkendrick
01-30-2014, 09:30 AM
I am looking to pick up a 3" unit next month and was planning on getting the GG 3" unit, however I have been reading that it is pretty slow working and requires a lot of pressure to make it work correctly. How does the Rupes compare in these situations, and factoring in price is the Rupes really worth the extra $200? Being that I have bad shoulders, and have already had one back surgery I am looking to get something that will make the work easier.

So lets see what the opinions are! Feed back please

Seems to me the better question is, what is your back and shoulders worth? Clearly, the Rupes will limit the wear and tear on your back and shoulders.

$200.00 vs additional wear and tear on your body.....is it even close?

Evan.J
01-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Yeah I was doing some reading and saw a lot of people commenting about needing to use it on speed 6 to do anything with it, which is why I started looking at the Rupes as another option. Plus I like how all the other Rupes require little to no pressure for correction. Is this an issue that you have notice with your GG also Evan?

I always use speed 6 on my GG3 I don't see it as an issue just what you have to do with the machine if you want it for correction. They only time I use a lower speed is when I'm applying a wax with it.

Mike Phillips
01-30-2014, 11:19 AM
I am looking to pick up a 3" unit next month and was planning on getting the GG 3" unit, however I have been reading that it is pretty slow working and requires a lot of pressure to make it work correctly.

The Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher is nice because of it's size. It is the small size that makes it convenient and useful for working tight areas and thin panels.

I use this tool mostly for machine wetsanding and machine applying waxes.

Sanding
With a 3" sanding disc you can SAFELY,

1. Sand thin panels: Sand right next to an edge because the tool is easy to control --> by this I mean move next to an edge without sanding over the edge. You can't do this with 5" and 6" sanders.

2. Sand into tight areas.

3. Learn how to machine sand. If you're new to machine sanding it's easier to get the hang of it with a small sander than a larger sander.

Machine wax
The Rupes 4" white finishing pad fits the GG 3" polisher and the small 4" Rupes pad is soft so it compresses easy and this means you can squish it into most wax jars to get wax instead of removing the paste wax out of the jar or using a knife/spatula/PC Wrench to get the wax out of the jar and onto the pad. (Of course I'm talking about paste wax use as with a liquid you could just squirt some on the paint or on the pad).

I almost always apply any liquid or paste wax or sealant by machine. The ONLY time I apply anything by hand is if I HAVE to. (That's just me though...)

How does the Rupes compare in these situations, and factoring in price is the Rupes really worth the extra $200?

Technique is important with both tools. That is in order to maintain pad rotation you have to pay attention to what you're doing. Mark your backing plates with a permanent marker like I show in my article here and then hold the body of the tool so the pad is flat to the surface.

I have used both tools a lot. I have always used either one or the other so I have not had them in use at the same time which is when you would compare them. That is keeping as many controls in place as possible so the only variable is the tool itself.

I have a GG3 and it's only as good a speed 6. Seems like it doesn't do anything on any of the lower settings.

It's only good for correction work on the 6 setting.

For machine sanding you can go as low as the 2 setting as long as you see the pad rotating.

For machine waxing the 4-5 setting is fine, you don't need to be on the 6 setting to spread out a thin coat of a finishing wax or sealant.

They only time I use a lower speed is when I'm applying a wax with it.

Agree... :iagree:

:xyxthumbs:

VP Mark
01-30-2014, 11:29 AM
I've been using my PCXP for a while with the 3 inch backing plate and pads and it works excellent. I will eventually upgrade to the Rupes but it just doesn't seek necessary at this point.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

KMG
01-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Mike,
Thanks again for the input. I am thinking that for the time being I am just going to stick with getting the GG3 as it will see limited use as compared to my large DA which I am also upgrading. If after this year I notice that I am using it a lot and there is more info and reviews out on the Rupes Mini then possibly next year I will check into upgrading.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Mike Phillips
01-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Just to offer another idea...

For doing correction work in tight areas and on thin panels I use the Flex PE14 with a small pad. I call this surgical or precision buffing.

I'll take some pictures to show you what I mean on the 1959 Impala out in the garage because it has scratches in tight areas and in thin panels.

Until then, here's an example on the Lotus Esprit I recently buffed out. I used these pictures for my class at Mobile Tech Expo, "How to use the rotary buffer".

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2225/2014_Mobil_Tech_Expo_Detailing_Classes_by_Mike_Phi llips_0071.jpg

Surgical or Precision Buffing
I could have done this type of precision buffing using a FULL SIZE DeWALT, or Makita or 3M or Milwaukee Rotary Buffer but it's the compact size, that is no bulky body in the way of my view or in the way of body components, plus the lightweight plus the slow RPM that makes the Flex PE14 the perfect tool for this type of work.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2225/2014_Mobil_Tech_Expo_Detailing_Classes_by_Mike_Phi llips_007c1.jpg

You want power?
You want ease of use?
You want to buff out thin panels or get into tight areas to do correction and polishing work?

The Flex PE14 and small pads, backing plates and an extension or two and you're good to go...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2225/2000_Lotus_Esprit_0121.jpg

:dblthumb2: