PDA

View Full Version : Help in planning my spring offensive

Desertnate
01-29-2014, 10:28 AM
"In the spring, at the time that kings go off to war"....or in this forum, when detailing enthusiasts go to war...

Despite the single-digit temps this morning, the calendar shows that spring is only about six weeks away. That means I'm starting to replenish supplies for detailing my humble personal fleet.

I know what I'm going to be using on two of the vehicles, but I'm a little stumped on my 2014 Black VW GTI.

The car has very light swirls as a result of my waterless washes this winter on a car that probably had too much grit on the surface for that type of cleaning method. I could probably burry the swirls in a glaze like Black Hole or Amigo, but I'd rather knock them out this spring.

I have Meguiar's UP on hand, but I can't help but thinking there is something out there that will give a black car the little extra "something" that UP just can't deliver, not to mention will work better on hard VW paint.

So... After about six weeks of research, I've narrowed my list to the below choices.

"Affordable" Options:
- Poorboys World SSR1
- Prima Swirl
- Prima Finish

"Expensive" Options:
- WG Finishing Glaze
- Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish
- Menzerna SF4000

I'll be topping with Collinite 845. My goal is one polish that will knock out these very faint swirls and finish off LSP ready. Ease of use will be a huge plus.

Will my "affordable" options even make a dent in hard VW paint? I realize the "expensive" options are all very similar, but is one any easier to use than the other?

Thanks for any/all advice.

allenk4
01-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Whatever you do....don't forget the wheel wells!

WillWashesCars
01-29-2014, 10:40 AM
SF4000 is one of my go-to finishing polishes that actually has a little bit of bite to it. That's my recommendation.

allenk4
01-29-2014, 10:53 AM
If you are planning on a decent sized order...There is still a PBMG Family website that offers a free sample of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html) with orders over a certain amount.

I use it and have had good results. Factors I observed included:

Longevity- was still beading at 6 months when I polished. I was using Optimum Gloss Enhancing Detail Spray; which may have affected the results

Application- a little goes a very long way. I used less than one ounce on a Yukon SUV. Goes on easy by machine or by hand. Wipes off very easy. Applicator and towel can be washed and re-used.

Staining- does not stain trim

Surfaces- indicated for paint. I have only used on paint.

Cleaning- appears to keep the vehicle cleaner after a rain. Makes washing much easier using 2BM. I do not use rinse less.

Subjective- very reflective, sharp, not as warm as Wolfgang Fusion

Dust- does not seem to attract dust. Much less dust that WG Fusion

Cleaners- None

Cost- FREE Sample for me.
At <1oz for an SUV
$39 for 16oz = $2.44 per application

Beading & Sheeting- in this picture the car is not clean, but still pretty good beading and sheeting is observed

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/WP_20140108_002.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/70312)

allenk4
01-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Add to the above:

Cure time- 45 minutes. Use "Swipe Test" as it has cured sooner for me. I have seen no problem with removal at >45 minutes

Can it be topped- Yes, I have topped with Wolfgang Fusion, but the increase in depth is not worth the extra dust collection to me

Does it "Fill"- none observed or claimed by manufacturer

Hardness/Abrasion resistance- none observed or claimed by manufacturer

Special prep required- not when used after Wolfgang Polishes

UV protection- yes, claimed by manufacturer

Desertnate
01-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Menzerna the front runners in my quest, but I'm struggling with having to spend $35 on a bottle of polish.

I wouldn't mind trying the Wolfgang sealant, but right now I've already got a couple others in the cabinet and I'm perfectly happy with the 845. I can't continue to fill my cabinet with products without using up what I've already got.

rms64
01-29-2014, 01:26 PM
I can't continue to fill my cabinet with products without using up what I've already got.

I don't understand. :joking:

Another vote for the Menz SF4000. Easy to work with and definitely a favorite.