PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to layer carnauba right after Opti-Coat?

Znig22
01-28-2014, 10:13 PM
I am preparing to correct a 2013 Ferrari California. I will also be applying opti-coat 2.0 throughout. I would like to follow this with 1-2 layers of DODO juice purple haze. How long after applying opti coat do I need to wait to apply my carnauba?

Btw, what is everyones thought of Dodo juice purple haze? I can't see investing $200+ in a carnauba so I went with what I have some knowledge of.

Audios S6
01-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Chris @ optimum has suggest to wait "a while" before using any high solvent product. I would consider virtually any wax a high solvent product.

Chris has also suggested to avoid any harsh cleaners for at least a week.

My suggestion would be to have the client return after a week so you can check for any high spots or missed areas in the opti-coat, then apply the dodo juice purple haze.

FUNX650
01-28-2014, 11:28 PM
Unless you have access to I.R. Lamps...(in order to help speed-up OC's total cure time)...
I'll suggest: ~30 days.

Bob

Chris Thomas
01-29-2014, 12:00 AM
My aka is Chris@Optimum. You should wait a week as mentioned, but I would suggest instant Detailer or optimum wax to boost gloss over the dodo. It will most likely only stick for a few weeks to the coating and may actually attract dust.

Chris Thomas
01-29-2014, 12:03 AM
That is instead of dodo, not on top of it. It sounded weird when I reread or.

primo spaghetti
01-29-2014, 06:52 AM
i never understood the point of topping OC with anything. you are changing the properties and purpose of the OC. why not just use the carnuaba if that is what you are looking for?

Znig22
01-29-2014, 05:20 PM
i never understood the point of topping OC with anything. you are changing the properties and purpose of the OC. why not just use the carnuaba if that is what you are looking for?

I was fortunate enough to apply opti coat 2.0 on 4 vehicles and 2 Harleys last year. I started pushing the product in August. I have always admired the depth of shine but I want to maximize the potential of a vehicle as nice as the one I am preparing for. I will be adding a "Jeweling" polishing step on my part, I just want the maximum gloss available, and Carnauba is the highest gloss protectant I was lead to believe, but I want the protection of opti-coat.

Thanks Chris, I will wait a week!

FUNX650
01-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks Chris, I will wait a week!
I would still wait until OC has, hopefully, fully cured.
Same goes for most other Coatings, as well.

Bob

Znig22
01-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Unless you have access to I.R. Lamps...(in order to help speed-up OC's total cure time)...
I'll suggest: ~30 days.

Bob

Bob, Do you think your typical heat gun with time and patience would have the ability to cure the opti coat faster then normal air drying? I don't mind going back in a few weeks time and servicing the car again but if a few hours could be spent curing the coating I would be done with it and could move to the next project.

swanicyouth
01-29-2014, 09:27 PM
I think your messing with disaster. I wouldn't top it for several months. IMHO OC is amazing, but should be left alone to cure. Heat guns and what not may speed it up - but who knows how much. Just concentrate on your paint polishing and OC the car and be done with it if your on a time constraint.

FUNX650
01-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Bob, Do you think your typical heat gun with time and patience would have the ability to cure the opti coat faster then normal air drying? I don't mind going back in a few weeks time and servicing the car again but if a few hours could be spent curing the coating I would be done with it and could move to the next project.
IR lamps do emit heat---thermal heat---that somewhat mimics the range of IR heat emitted by the Sun...measured in nanometers.
This heat is able to be spread over a large area quite readily

To me:
That's different than the thermal heat being emitted from a heat gun...measured in degrees (F/C). This heat is more confined to a smaller area. Uneven heating can occur.

So...
I will say that I personally would not attempt to bring about a faster total cure time to OC by sole use of a heat gun and it's hot air emissions...(or even other "air suppliers").
There should also be IR irradiation, natural or otherwise, introduced to the curing process.

Bob

Harry Da Hamster
01-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Chris, do body shop heat lamps speed up curing time of Opti Coat II?

glen e
01-29-2014, 11:40 PM
I have found another tip recently with coatings, I get a much more even spread and complete leveling if I use a microfiber suade towel instead of std MF. Cquartz supplies it with their UK product and it glosses up perfectly with the suade .

FUNX650
01-29-2014, 11:40 PM
Chris, do body shop heat lamps speed up curing time of Opti Coat II?
Not that I'm Chris...

The better body shops/paint booths that I've been associated with generally use high-intensity,
medium-wave-IR "heat lamps" for paint drying/curing.

Bob

WRAPT C5Z06
01-30-2014, 12:13 AM
i never understood the point of topping OC with anything.
Agreed. Especially, since it''s not recommended(outside of the optimum line).