PDA

View Full Version : Best Wheel Coating?

Pages : [1] 2

pcw25
01-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Hi everyone,

Quick question on wheel coatings. I've been wanting to get a coating for my wheels because I hate that part of the car the most. Some I've been looking at are:

Optimum Opti-Coat
Carpro Dlux
Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor
Pinnacle Black Label Wheel Coating

I've also considered spray-on products like

Permanon
Carpro Hydro2

Please give me your opinion on wheel coatings and what you like best.

Thank You,

Tommy

01-28-2014, 10:21 PM
I've had PBL on my wheels since Thanksgiving, definitely makes cleaning them a breeze. In between washes, I use an IPA mix to quick detail them...

pcw25
01-28-2014, 11:19 PM
I've had PBL on my wheels since Thanksgiving, definitely makes cleaning them a breeze. In between washes, I use an IPA mix to quick detail them...

Why use an IPA? Wouldn't that wear the coating?

01-28-2014, 11:31 PM
I normally use Meguiar's Quik Wheel Detailer but for some reason it's not made anymore. Then one day I tried the IPA mix I had and it worked just as good as the Meguiar's. When I do use the IPA its watered down and I haven't noticed any diminishing effects of the coating.

pcw25
01-28-2014, 11:35 PM
I normally use Meguiar's Quik Wheel Detailer but for some reason it's not made anymore. Then one day I tried the IPA mix I had and it worked just as good as the Meguiar's. When I do use the IPA its watered down and I haven't noticed any diminishing effects of the coating.

Ah, okay, thanks!

01-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Isn't an IPA mix a little harsh for a quick detail? Why not use something else like uww+ or a quick detailer?

QDs don't work as well as IPA, haven't tried uww+ The IPA mix is in a 32oz bottle 90% IPA 10% dawn. I'm talking about a light mist then quick wipe with MF = chrome thats blinging :xyxthumbs:

spoocobra
01-28-2014, 11:37 PM
QDs don't work as well as IPA, haven't tried uww+ The IPA mix is in a 32oz bottle 90% IPA 10% dawn. I'm talking about a light mist then quick wipe with MF = chrome thats blinging

Ok, still seems like a harsher mix than a qd would be to me. But if it works then it works.

Zelfiris
01-28-2014, 11:40 PM
I have OC on my wheels and I love it

Keeps them clean, easy to maintain when I wash and I don't need to coat them to bring the gloss back. But if I wanted extra gloss, I just add OCW or reload with a quick wipe

01-28-2014, 11:40 PM
I was wondering the same thing? Why not use something else like uww+ or a quick detailer?

Don't think it would matter if it's specifically made for the wheels or not it would have to be less gentle and more efficient than an IPA mix yeah?

I'm sure the Meguiar's Quik Wheel Detailer has some alcohol in it because that stuff would evaporate.

MNDSMtuner96
01-28-2014, 11:41 PM
I like to seal mine with #21 synthetic sealant, then use spray wax just like on my paint and the rest of the car. They are clear coated wheels.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

spoocobra
01-28-2014, 11:44 PM
I'm sure the Meguiar's Quik Wheel Detailer has some alcohol in it because that stuff would evaporate.

Oh ok. Got ya

01-28-2014, 11:44 PM
Ah, okay, thanks!

Keep in mind, my wheels are chrome so I don't have to worry about clear...PBL is new so only time will tell as far as durability. OC wins for durability...

01-28-2014, 11:47 PM
Oh ok. Got ya

Trust me, I'm not gonna put anything harsh on my wheels that will mess them up, they cost too $$$

One of the main reasons I put PBL coating, I wanted extra protection and so far, PBL has exceeded my expectations...

Sicoupe
01-29-2014, 12:36 AM
I have my stock wheel powder coated black, what would be the best wheel coating to use? Thanks

allenk4
01-29-2014, 12:46 AM
Keep in mind, my wheels are chrome so I don't have to worry about clear...PBL is new so only time will tell as far as durability. OC wins for durability...

Just because they are Chrome...does not mean that they are not clear coated.