PDA

View Full Version : Black car mirror finish detail help

xoulu
01-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Hello all,

I wanted to ask how do I achieve a mirror finish look on a black car?

What should I use and what steps should I take?
Which soap is best for black cars?

So to my understanding of a basic car wash/detail

Step 1 Wash car
Step 2 Iron X to decon the car and wheels
Step 3 Wash car again
Step 4 Clay/Nanoskin
Step 4 Compound
Step 5 Polish
Step 6 IPA wipe down
Step 7 Wax/Sealant

If I am missing a step please let me know

Things I have are
Flex 3401
5 Gallon Iron X
5 Gallon Sonax
25 Microfiber cloths
25 Cotton cloths

I know I need pads, soap, pads, wax, sealant, polish and compound.

I will be detailing a 2012 E63 AMG black on black.
Can you guys give me suggestions on

1)Which soap to use for black paint cars?
2)Which polish/compound and with which pads will work beat. 3)Should I use a sealant or wax on the car.
4)What tire/wheel dressing should I use.
5)What product should I use on the black leather? I want to make the black leather back to looking new and have a wet look. Any product that does that?

One question about drying is, should I dry the car with the cotton cloths I have or microfiber cloths?

Some of you may ask hows the condition of the paint, it's ok and I think I only need a one step but I want to make it like a mirror finish wet look. So would doing a three step make any difference?

Thank you for taking the time to read and post your feedbacks

Desertnate
01-28-2014, 01:46 PM
I will be detailing a 2012 E63 AMG black on black.
Can you guys give me suggestions on

1)Which soap to use for black paint cars?
2)Which polish/compound and with which pads will work beat. 3)Should I use a sealant or wax on the car.
4)What tire/wheel dressing should I use.
5)What product should I use on the black leather? I want to make the black leather back to looking new and have a wet look. Any product that does that?

One question about drying is, should I dry the car with the cotton cloths I have or microfiber cloths?

Some of you may ask hows the condition of the paint, it's ok and I think I only need a one step but I want to make it like a mirror finish wet look. So would doing a three step make any difference?

Thank you for taking the time to read and post your feedbacks

I'll provide the inputs I can on what I know. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice.

1) Any quality car shampoo is good regardless of car color. I like Meguiars Gold Class

2) I won't recommend a specific brand of polish since I've never had a Mercedes, but I would suggest not compounding if you don't need it. It all depends on the condition of the paint. Mike Phillips has a great article here on doing a test spot.

3) Wax or sealant is up to you. Sealants tend to last longer than waxes. Many here do both! Sealant first and wax on tip of that to get the best of both worlds...durability and looks.

5) Are you sure you want your leather to look wet and shiny? The better leather and trim products I've used all leave it with a satin or like-new look vs shiny.

Microfiber will be better for drying than terry cloth towels. There is lots of advice here on approaches to drying a wet car if you hunt around a little.

xoulu
01-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks! I will definitely look for that video about test spot

allenk4
01-28-2014, 02:39 PM
If you do a test spot and it needs compounding, go with Wolfgang Uber Compound on an Orange pad, followed by Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover on a White Pad, followed by Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on a Red Pad

With this combo, there is no need to do an IPA wipedown of the entire car as the WGTSR and WGDGPS are compatible. You can wipedown a section to confirm that you are getting the correction you are looking for and the oils in the polish are not giving you false results.

Buy List:

Two Buckets

Two Grit Guards

Quality Wash Mitt
-Chenille or Merino Wool

Optimum Car Wash

Cobra Guzzler Drying Towel x1
-Do not touch the paint with cotton anything

Lake Country CCS Pads
Orange x4 for compound
White x4 for polish
Red x1 for Sealant

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

Blackfire Interior Protectant for all interior surfaces including your coated leather

Optimum No Rinse
-Can be diluted an used as clay lube
-Can be diluted and used as a drying aid
-Can be diluted and used as a quick detailer
-Can be diluted and used as a Rinse less wash

01-28-2014, 02:41 PM
If you do a test spot and it needs compounding, go with Wolfgang Uber Compound on an Orange pad, followed by Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover on a White Pad, followed by Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on a Red Pad

With this combo, there is no need to do an IPA wipedown of the entire car as the WGTSR and WGDGPS are compatible. You can wipedown a section to confirm that you are getting the correction you are looking for and the oils in the polish are not giving you false results.

Buy List:

Two Buckets

Two Grit Guards

Quality Wash Mitt
-Chenille or Merino Wool

Optimum Car Wash

Cobra Guzzler Drying Towel x1
-Do not touch the paint with cotton anything

Lake Country CCS Pads
Orange x4 for compound
White x4 for polish
Red x1 for Sealant

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

Blackfire Interior Protectant for all interior surfaces including your coated leather

Optimum No Rinse
-Can be diluted an used as clay lube
-Can be diluted and used as a drying aid
-Can be diluted and used as a quick detailer
-Can be diluted and used as a Rinse less wash

:iagree:

you can just about guarantee some marring with an IPA wipedown no matter how careful you are...especially black, trust me I know from experience

xoulu
01-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Thank you!

I will go ahead and order those.