PDA

View Full Version : Does ice effect sealants

HateSwirls
01-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Im not new to sealants but here in Louisiana we just don't have harsh winters but today we're expected to get 3-4 inches of freezing rain/snow.
My truck I parked outside and already iced up.

It gets very hot here in the summer months and know that the high heats has no ill effects of sealant/waxes but what about ice?
I just sealed my truck over the past weekend so I'm curious to know how the sealant will react to ice laying over it for 36 hours straight!

KillaCam
01-28-2014, 11:37 AM
I don't think ice will degrade a sealant.

HateSwirls
01-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Cool, thanks for the reply:dblthumb2:

I don't think ice will degrade a sealant.

Klasse Act
01-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Yeah I don't think ice would affect it either, as long as you've got complete coverage its doing its job. That said, when the weather permits once again you could clean the truck and apply another coat just to be sure, especially since sealants are soooo easy to apply/remove. Sorry about the ice down there, I'm sure everyone is freaked out!

FUNX650
01-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Modern paint systems are very advanced, and are able to withstand environmental stresses very well on their own.

A high quality synthetic polymer sealant should be sufficient, to provide further protection for/to the paint system, through a few instances of ice formation...such as in your case.

Bob

jankerson
01-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Im not new to sealants but here in Louisiana we just don't have harsh winters but today we're expected to get 3-4 inches of freezing rain/snow.
My truck I parked outside and already iced up.

It gets very hot here in the summer months and know that the high heats has no ill effects of sealant/waxes but what about ice?
I just sealed my truck over the past weekend so I'm curious to know how the sealant will react to ice laying over it for 36 hours straight!

Pretty much the same kind of winter weather here in NC as you do.

No, it won't really effect the sealants very much once they are cured.

Used NXT for years on my vehicles and it never really effected it too much I don't think.

We will see how WGDGPS holds up this year on the truck that sits outside 24/7 as we are going to get more winter weather this year than usual.

Supposed to get some good snow today here in Raleigh.

HateSwirls
01-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys.

This is the first time ice sits on my cars since I started using sealant.
A "Wax" I never payed much attention to.
I'm really into sealants these days and really love testing different brands