PDA

View Full Version : Guys, any of you have extremely sensitive skin when shaving?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

WRAPT C5Z06
01-27-2014, 07:39 PM
I do and I hate it. I can shave twice a week, max! I get ingrown hairs too. I have to shave across the grain or it won't look like I shaved. :laughing: Any products that have really helped you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Rancourt
01-27-2014, 07:48 PM
It's weird to see this post here. But I can't shave more than twice a week. Are you thinking chemical related to detailing?

Just02896
01-27-2014, 07:49 PM
I have similar issues but haven't really found much that helps other than Aveno shaving cream and aftershave lotion. I believe razor selection plays a big role as well.

Mark Rancourt
01-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Oh 15 years ago I went to a dermatologist and he told me to go to a barber!! Yeah I can do that every day! Not

WRAPT C5Z06
01-27-2014, 07:53 PM
I have similar issues but haven't really found much that helps other than Aveno shaving cream and aftershave lotion.
That's exactly what I use.

pickles
01-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Dove men care hydrate products have been the best I've used so far. I have thick stubble and shave daily. I use a wash cloth to help soak my face with warm water first and then use it to spread the shaving gel. Let the foam sit on ur face for about 3-5 min before starting to shave. Don't use any badger hair brush. They smell like wet dirty dogs.

ExoticAutoDetai
01-27-2014, 08:28 PM
I do and I have to shave every 2 days. I'm only 23 and don't really like having a beard or mustache. I've also found that shaving while taking a hot steam shower is alot easier. Because it opens your pores better. For some reason I avoid using shaving cream, because part of me thinks it has something that make your hair grow back faster. Lol

Sent with my Note 2, from Planet Namek.

Ron4543
01-27-2014, 09:17 PM
I use a double edge safety razor. Always had really bad razor burn before it. It does take quite a few shaves to get it down and not cut yourself (those bad boys are sharp). It works a lot like detailing, using the least aggressive method, as there are different blades of different sharpness. A big plus is making sure it's AFTER you shower to hydrate your facial hair. And remember, with shaving of any type, you should focus on beard reduction, not removal, multiple passes may be needed.

Oh, and I use pure badger as a brush. As long as you clean it and dry it properly it smells just fine. Maybe the cream the other guy was using was not proper or not dried to prevent smells.

Funny how many references to detailing can be made about shaving.

Sent from my EVO using AG Online

GenesisCoupe
01-27-2014, 09:22 PM
My right side of my neck is sensitive but referring to the thread comparing the Dollar Shave Club to a competitor i learned that ensuring your skin is warm (hot towel) followed by a warm razor, and a sensitive skin gel/foam and a non-alcohol after shave will stop the irritation. So far 3 weeks of shaving about once a week (because i'm a bum) and no razor burn or cuts what-so-ever.

valleyrider
01-27-2014, 09:55 PM
I use a double edge safety razor. Always had really bad razor burn before it. It does take quite a few shaves to get it down and not cut yourself (those bad boys are sharp). It works a lot like detailing, using the least aggressive method, as there are different blades of different sharpness. A big plus is making sure it's AFTER you shower to hydrate your facial hair. And remember, with shaving of any type, you should focus on beard reduction, not removal, multiple passes may be needed.

Oh, and I use pure badger as a brush. As long as you clean it and dry it properly it smells just fine. Maybe the cream the other guy was using was not proper or not dried to prevent smells.

+1 on this

If you want to help yourself get a badger hair brush and a real shave soap or cream - do not use that canned goo!

Here is something perfect to help you start with and it smells great too!
RazoRock Artisan Shaving Soap For Sensitive Skin - Sandalwood (http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-artisan-shaving-soap-for-sensitive-skin-sandalwood)

ltoman
01-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Hey guys,
the two shaving products on this page are pricey, but a little goes a long way and they really help. They make really high quality stuff. If your car deserves good stuff, so does your face.
shaving (http://www.philosophy.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-PHILUS-Site/en_US/Search-Show?q=shaving) Look at both products!! Good luck!

Rez90
01-27-2014, 10:04 PM

This. I would bet I have worse skin than anyone here. Struggled with shaving for years until I discovered DE shaving.

It's become a hobby and something I now look forward to. It takes a bit more time but the results are worth it 1000x.

Check out Badger & Blade - B&B Homepage (http://www.badgerandblade.com) and if you have any questions PM me. I love BSing about this stuff.

Docpeanut
01-27-2014, 10:18 PM
Bump patrol, burns a little but it eliminates ingrown hairs

aim4squirrels
01-27-2014, 10:45 PM
I just went down this road about 6 months ago. Did a ton of research. This is going to get info intensive, so hang on.

You're going to need to use a safety razor. Or straight razor, but that's a whole other learning curve.

Modern razors with the 3, 4, and 5 blades only increase irritation if you already suffer from it. Each subsequent blade pulls the hair further and further out of the skin until the last one chops it off, where it drops under the skin surface and that's why you feel so smooth in one pass on the razor. The problem is that the hairs start to grow under the surface of the skin and some get caught on the way out and start to grow sideways into the pores of your skin. That and bacteria causes the razor burn.

Safety razors are different. One blade that only cuts, no lifting. You have to do more passes to get smooth (I do straight down, toward the nose, then toward the ear, but the hair is leveled at the skin surface so there are no ingrown hairs.

The biggest learning curve is to learn to only use the weight of the razor to shave and take short strokes. You really have to break the habit of pressing the razor into your face like you do with modern cartridge razors and trying to do long strokes. That WON'T work with a safety razor and you will pay for it.

In many ways, it's a lot like paint correction, several passes to level the surface, work small areas, slow arm speed, etc.

Things you want:
1. Safety razor - I suggest a Merkur 34C HD or if you have big hands get the Merkur 38C HD. Great quality razor without being stupid pompous artsy priced. Get the shortest handle you feel comfortable holding, because it's NOT a cartridge razor, you don't want to press at all! Longer handles tend to make new users leverage the razor into their face and cause problems. I got the longer handled razor as my hands are big. Just for reference, my hand span can reach past an iPad in landscape orientation thumb to pinky and it's one inch shy of the entire screen from bottom of the palm to tip of the middle finger in Portrait format. The 38C feels just right. If you hand is smaller, go with the 34C

2. Sampler pack of razor blades. The manufacturers of safety blades all have way different ideas of the ideal sharpness and angle of the blade approach. There is no way to tell what is best for you without trying a bunch. I started using the Merkur 10 pack as I was told that's as close to middle of the road as anyone could recommend, so I figured it was a good starting point. I used all ten blades before moving to a new type as I really wanted to get the shaving technique down before I tried to evaluate blades against each other. I bought about 5 different types for a total of about 40 blades, I've currently used 25 and 2 different types in 6 months. I get 4-5 shaves out of a razor blade. Oh, I also find that I stay smoother for longer into the day than with cartridge or electric shaving. I can skip days on occasion.

Pre-shave oil. At first I thought it was an optional item, but after using it, I'll never shave without it again.

After shave balm/lotion. Very important after using a safety razor.

Styptic pencil. For the oops that makes you bleed. Basically it feels like dumping rock salt into a shark bite, but it stops the bleeding in the 1/10th of the second that you can stand holding against your cut.

Other stuff like mugs, shaving soap or cream to lather, a badger hair brush, shaving stand, etc. are nice to have, but not necessary. You can use regular shave cream you buy at the store if you like. Me, I'm all in.

I've tried electrics, they don't get close enough or last through the day. Then I tried all the big name newest kid on the block razors and found that the more blades they added, the worse the irritation got. That's when I researched and found that I really wasn't alone in my observations.

Hope that helps you dude.

Ron4543
01-27-2014, 10:49 PM
My only regret was buying the 34 over the 38. I have sasquatch hands.