PDA

View Full Version : Detail pricing help needed.

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
01-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Hi ag, recently, I have been able to get 1 full detail on a jeep grand cherokee, 1 exterior on a jeep grand cherokee and 1 exterior on a jeep cherokee (smaller grand cherokee/new model).

On the full detail I said free as its a close friend,I dont know if he would pay me at all-its fine if he does not

On the other Grand Cherokee I said 225 for a similar process

On the jeep cherokee I agreed for 75 as I dont exactly know the person that well, but we spoke more when I was alot younger, he just wanted wash, clay,wash and cleaning tires and rims.

Is my price low for the 225 dollar grand cherokee detail?, I would be doing just an exterior detail, with no correction fluid which I feel would be a good price.

Would these prices be too low? On the second jeep I would probably spend 6 hours

ken tuep
01-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Is it too low to you? That's all that really matters IMO. If you're OK with it, then its good.

For me on the exterior only with no correction, usually runs about $130. Wash, clay, iron-x, wheels, tires, and a sealant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Bill1234
01-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Is it too low to you? That's all that really matters IMO. If you're OK with it, then its good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

The second jeep that I mentioned seems a bit high, but I feel its fair as there will probably be 6 hours of work, the other two I will see what happens, I feel 75 is fair as its a practically brand new cuv. Im not really concerned about the 1st jeep grand cherokee as its a close friend

goldendodo19
01-27-2014, 09:58 AM
for wash clay wax I usually charge between 100-120 depending on vehicle side. Why are you washing again after claying? For 75 dollars I would skip the second wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill1234
01-27-2014, 10:00 AM
for wash clay wax I usually charge between 100-120 depending on vehicle side. Why are you washing again after claying? For 75 dollars I would skip the second wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not washing again after claying, to clarify, on all vehicles, I would wash with a foam gun, leaf blower dry, then clay and then move on to wax

KMG
01-27-2014, 10:12 AM
So are you not putting a sealant or anything on the Cherokee? I would say your in the ballpark on that one if your not doing a sealant or anything. The Grand Cherokee I think you are a bit high on your price, but that is just me. Are you figuring your prices out off an hourly rate, or just picking a number off the top of your head. I figured most of my pricing out off a $30/hr rate for starting out, and you should have a pretty good idea how much time it will take you to do different things.

bwatereagleman
01-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Have you thought about checking with other detailers in your area to see what they charge for their services? I can say in our area, $225 would be a challenge for just an exterior job. Most of the time $125-$150 is the living end of a wash, clay, one-step, vac, windows, and wheels.

I realize that not every detail is equal, so I have adapted an hourly rate type of pricing. For example, if I know a job is going take around 6 hours, I would quote around $120. $20 an hour for generalized detailing is about the going rate in our area. If I were doing specialized services like paint correction, a special sealant, carpet extracting/steam, etc... I would quote a little more per hour. How I try to make money is to be as effecient as possible and hustle so the 6 hour job might not take the whole 6 hours. Of course, I don't want the finished product to be comprimised either. I also don't try to over estimate time... quote 8 hours for a 6 hour job. Another detailer might be bidding on the job, or your friend will remember that it only took you a half a day for a job that you said would take all day.

Try to price so that you are paid fairly but will get repeat customers as well as referrals. Best wishes.

HD.Detailing
01-27-2014, 10:49 AM
WOW.. full detail for FREE on a Grand Cherokee?! Lucky friend!

EvolutionDetail
01-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Man
I don't get much detail
but I charge $200 for wash and wax
Cleaning of Interior and exterior.
No polishing done.
Most of the time the cars are pretty filthy.
After all only we the car crazy people care.

so interior will get vacuumed, shampoo to remove stains and odors.

I'm a one man show. Just for what I described aabove takes me more than 6 hours +

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Bill,

Write out your process and number each step.

Estimate how much time it will take.

Think about how much you want to make per hour.

Then, multiply your estimated time by your desired hourly wage. If that total is something you are willing to work for and your client is willing to pay then I would say it's a good price.

Before you start detailing for money I would write down the services you will offer along with the price for each. Also, search the AGO forum because other people have asked similar questions and you'll find a lot of great answers in those threads.

Bill1234
01-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Bill,

Write out your process and number each step.

Estimate how much time it will take.

Think about how much you want to make per hour.

Then, multiply your estimated time by your desired hourly wage. If that total is something you are willing to work for and your client is willing to pay then I would say it's a good price.

Before you start detailing for money I would write down the services you will offer along with the price for each. Also, search the AGO forum because other people have asked similar questions and you'll find a lot of great answers in those threads.

Scott, thanks for this info, more backward, but efficient thinking. I did 225/6 and got 37.5 which is a good amount for the work that I would be doing. Keep in mind this 225 dollar detail would require removing all the road salt and grime from winter

Bill1234
01-27-2014, 03:05 PM
So are you not putting a sealant or anything on the Cherokee? I would say your in the ballpark on that one if your not doing a sealant or anything. The Grand Cherokee I think you are a bit high on your price, but that is just me. Are you figuring your prices out off an hourly rate, or just picking a number off the top of your head. I figured most of my pricing out off a $30/hr rate for starting out, and you should have a pretty good idea how much time it will take you to do different things.

I will be working as follows-
rims and tires -meguiars non acid wheel cleaner
wash from foam gun
dry
clay bar
wax/seal-collinite 476

225/6 is 37.5 dollars which is a bit over, but the area I am in is expensive

Ao1051
01-27-2014, 03:06 PM
I created a spreadsheet that basically quotes people on what they want done and it has approximately how long it should take with the amount of chemicals and calculates all the hourly charges and tax and everything... so all I have to do is plug in a quanity and it tells me how long and how much it is going to be. If you are interested, I will post it up. all that you would have to change is the amount you would like to charge for your hourly. let me know if you would like it.

Bill1234
01-27-2014, 03:09 PM
I created a spreadsheet that basically quotes people on what they want done and it has approximately how long it should take with the amount of chemicals and calculates all the hourly charges and tax and everything... so all I have to do is plug in a quanity and it tells me how long and how much it is going to be. If you are interested, I will post it up. all that you would have to change is the amount you would like to charge for your hourly. let me know if you would like it.

yes, that would be good thanks =)

Ao1051
01-27-2014, 03:15 PM
hmm... apparently it wont let me attach it to this... send me your email address and I will email it to you.