PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 21 with 5.5" Pads + Other Questions

Pages : [1] 2

pcw25
01-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Hi everyone,

Considering buying a Rupes sometime in the future. I just have a few questions that need to be cleared up.

Is it okay to use 5.5" pads with the Rupes 21? Why is this not recommended? Will it cause damage to the machine? Will the pads be torn apart, etc.

Do I need to stay with the Rupes pad system? I heard that they work and that they don't work so that is another concern.

If you do use the Rupes, what is your favorite 2-step correction?

Lastly, is there a noticeable difference between the 15 and 21?

Thank you for your feedback in advance! :)

Feed back please

DetailedTaco
01-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Hi everyone,

Considering buying a Rupes sometime in the future. I just have a few questions that need to be cleared up.

Is it okay to use 5.5" pads with the Rupes 21? Why is this not recommended? Will it cause damage to the machine? Will the pads be torn apart, etc.

Many people use the 5.5" pads here on the Rupes 21. It just a matter of preference. The 5.5" pads make it easier for the machine to spin because they are smaller/lighter then the 6.5'sIt will not damage the machine in any way.

Do I need to stay with the Rupes pad system? I heard that they work and that they don't work so that is another concern.

It is not necessary to stay with the Rupes pad system. I use Lake Country Flat Pads with my Rupes 21 and have no issues.

I am a fan of Menzerna FG400 and SF4000. Many people also swear by Meguiars M105 and M205.

The only difference is the size of the throw. The 15 has a 15mm throw and the 21 has a 21mm throw.

Feed back please

parttimer
01-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Some people say they get vibration from the 5.5" plate on their 21, I have not encountered it with Lake Country or Rupes pads.

pcw25
01-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Many people use the 5.5" pads here on the Rupes 21. It just a matter of preference. The 5.5" pads make it easier for the machine to spin because they are smaller/lighter then the 6.5'sIt will not damage the machine in any way.

It is not necessary to stay with the Rupes pad system. I use Lake Country Flat Pads with my Rupes 21 and have no issues.

I am a fan of Menzerna FG400 and SF4000. Many people also swear by Meguiars M105 and M205.

The only difference is the size of the throw. The 15 has a 15mm throw and the 21 has a 21mm throw.

Thanks for your response! It is appreciated! :props:

What exactly does the throw of the machine mean? Does it equate to more polishing power, etc.?

pcw25
01-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Some people say they get vibration from the 5.5" plate on their 21, I have not encountered it with Lake Country or Rupes pads.

Isn't the Rupes supposed to be very smooth?

DetailedTaco
01-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your response! It is appreciated! :props:

What exactly does the throw of the machine mean? Does it equate to more polishing power, etc.?

No problem. Here is an explanation of the "Throw" of the Rupes explained on Autogeeks website. It pertains to how far the pad moves.

he Rupes LHR 21ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher gets its name from its massive, industry leading 21 millimeter throw. The throw of the machine indicates the size of the orbit the pad makes. Consider this: a conventional random orbital polisher has a throw between 4 and 8 millimeters. The advantage of a larger throw is that more surface area is being covered as you polish. This means you’ll be able to remove swirls, scratches, water spots and other paint defects in considerably less time.

PRicci09
01-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Isn't the Rupes supposed to be very smooth?

What machine are you using now?

I upgraded from a PC to a Rupes, the difference in terms of vibrations was massive. The PC made my hands numb after a few panels. I found the Rupes to be far more enjoyable to use.

If you are going to use a 21 with 5" backing plate I recommend using the Rupes 6" pads. The Rupes pads are 5" on the back and taper to a 6" face. To me, it just feels a bit better with the large throw.

TundraPower
01-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone,

Feed back please

1. Yes you can use the 5" pads and backing plate on the 21. I do not care for it though, it vibrates too much.

2. Use non-Rupes pads on Rupes machines at your own risk. The velcro backing on non-Rupes pads is not strong enough for these polishers. I've had 4 non-Rupes pads fly off during polishing. :nomore:

3. My personal favorite 2 step is Scholl Concept's SE3 Gold on Rupes green pad followed by Sonax Perfect Finish on Rupes white pad.

4. Yes, there is considerable difference between the 21 and the 15. 28% greater throw, harder to control in tight spots and on curved surfaces, corrects much faster.

parttimer
01-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Yes, rupes is super smooth, what I was saying is some people who changed out the backing plate have said there is vibration with a smaller plate on the larger throw unit.

HD.Detailing
01-27-2014, 02:21 PM
the rupes is a different animal.. don't need to put the pressure on it like the previous DAs.. I think the "trouble' some people are having is not using correct technique. IMHO

pcw25
01-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks everyone! appreciate the feedback! I think it's a tossup in regard to pads honestly. Some people have had other pads work, some not so much. I'll just see for myself. it's the only way to know. Thanks for the answers! :)

The Critic
02-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Yes, rupes is super smooth, what I was saying is some people who changed out the backing plate have said there is vibration with a smaller plate on the larger throw unit.

Rupes 21 + 5" backing plate is not as smooth as a Rupes 15, but the 21 has it's advantages.

dsg03gt
02-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Rupes 21 + 5" backing plate is not as smooth as a Rupes 15, but the 21 has it's advantages.

What are the advantages of the 21 over the 15? Is it just the larger throw?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The Critic
02-10-2014, 12:15 AM
What are the advantages of the 21 over the 15? Is it just the larger throw?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Larger throw allows for better correction under certain conditions.

The main advantage is that the 21 is able to use 7" pads as well, so you have the ability to utilize both setups (5.5" and 7").

Rsurfer
02-10-2014, 01:12 AM
Larger throw allows for better correction under certain conditions.

The main advantage is that the 21 is able to use 7" pads as well, so you have the ability to utilize both setups (5.5" and 7").

Perhaps faster, but not necessarily better than the 15.