PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a startup

UpstateNYBiz
01-26-2014, 06:04 PM
I am planning on getting into the mobile washing business when my tax return come back. I was first thinking about the steam cleaning method but the scratching of the vehicle kind of worried me.
So I decided on a water method, so I was planning on getting a trailer with a tank and assemble something that would allow me to wash vehicles with water.

I was looking at something like: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24776&d=1389884342.. I can't promise it will look like this but ..i will try

Rightlook sells them but I'm sure if they can delivery or I would have to go to them.

Some of the questions I have:

In addition to regular daily drivers, I am planning on go after dealership and rental agencies in my area. But don't they have their own cleaning staff but would be their advantage of using my services compared to paying their own workers to do the job? What would be my USP?

Can this be done all year around? If so, how to deal with winter months?

How do you attract daily drivers? Do you go door to door?

How much am I looking to spend for the startup?

Thanks in advance. :)

TrolleyVW
01-26-2014, 07:28 PM
I am not nearly on the level of some of the guys here, I really just do family/friends and their family/friends.

I've heard that contracts through dealers and rental places are no good usually because of the pay.

If you have a shop, theoretically you could in the winter but, since I see you're in upstate NY as am I(buffalo), I really can't see there being the volume there is in warmer areas.

I'm pretty certain, also based on experience, that most clients in general are word of mouth followed by website with a good presentation and adequate search tags.

As far as how much you'll spend, I thought I saw something called "$500 budget startup"

I'm sure you are/have read through the topics in this sub forum but I would continue doing so due to the infinite amount of information that beginner/established/exclusive detailing entrepreneurs have shared here

VP Mark
01-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Those are loaded questions! My PC internet is down so here is my abbreviated cell phone version...

Startup costs are what you can afford. I have a detailed thread about a $500 startup but obviously more capital is better when starting a business.

Dont frown on wholesale work, especially when starting out. Dealers don't pay much but some will send you a lot of vehicles that will be great practice, bring in some cash flow, and will keep you busy between retail jobs.

Get a website. Brand yourself. Buy Denny Doyle's book how to start a home based detailing business and read it front to back long before you start spending money.

Ask questions.. Dont be shy. Everyone starts somewhere. Feel free to post on this thread, pm, or email me anything specific. The people in this community are amazing and extremely helpful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Mark Rancourt
01-26-2014, 08:52 PM
I agree with the previous comments. Dealers will give you work. Be prepared to work cheap. I would focus on gathering detailing supplies and basic tools. Never mind the big power wash unit. Unless your gonna go wash houses or something. Get yourself a small gas or electric unit. I started detailing over 20 years ago with a pickup truck and $1000 in supplies. Now I have three mobile units and three full time employes with lots of big accounts. I got here by working for dealers........(no more dealers tho) I love to see people make it in life! Good luck

SHINEMUP
01-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Dealerships will pay $3 a car go wash the lot. Go after construction trucks. My buddy has a big heater and water tank on his truck. Makes good money just power washing the mud off trucks before they leave the site.

thebamboo23
01-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Some of the questions I have:

In addition to regular daily drivers, I am planning on go after dealership and rental agencies in my area. But don't they have their own cleaning staff but would be their advantage of using my services compared to paying their own workers to do the job? What would be my USP?

Can this be done all year around? If so, how to deal with winter months?

How do you attract daily drivers? Do you go door to door?

How much am I looking to spend for the startup?

Whats your ultimate goal with the wash business? Is it just to make some side money or will the be/become a primary source of income?

1) Your USP (if you're only doing washes) for the dealership will probably be underbid and be faster than the current person. Or something like that.. do you plan on offering other services later on? i.e. paint correction, interior reconditioning, etc...

2) again, will you strictly be doing washes?

3) You could go door to door, but honestly I think you'll get turned down a lot if you're only gonna offer washes. Reason being is it wont really benefit the customer. Not many people will want to pay more than $5 for a wash if their car is already swirled up. And trying to convince the customer that your wash is superior the the car wash down the street is kinda irrelevant if they still dont care.. they just want clean and shiny.... thats it lol

But, fleet washes, dealerships, and other such things could benefit with this type of business! Just gotta aim in the right direction :dblthumb2:

Just my .02 :props: